• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello!

Matty123

Hello and good morning!

Just registered as a new member! 129 litre F-90 Fluval tank, pressurised CO2 injection, EI fertlization, RO water...

Kind regards
Matt

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the welcome! Lovely and solid tanks aren't they? But gotta say I'm having a bit of a issue with the lighting as I can never gauge the intensity of the lighting I'm putting into the tank with the variable dimmer, which I'm sure is contributing to my algae problems as I've had it at maximum output and don't whether this is too much! I've got BBA and green/blue algae! Have you experienced such issue(s)? I did upgrade the filter to a 406 as the flow was insufficient

As for the RO water, it's a pleasure in all honesty. The only issue I had was with the place I got it from persuing them with the right tap attachment! What I mean by it's a pleasure, it's just satisfying waiting for the containers to fill up with the lovely contaminated free water and mixing it up with the buffers and Equilibrium mix and then seeing the sparkle and clarity of it when I do a water change with it, sounds a bit geeky and weird but it's satisfying! My tap water contains 3+ ppm of phosphate so it was an necessity... easy to install but I had to put purchase a pump.

I ought to have mentioned my tank is quite heavily planted.

Kind regards
Matt

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the welcome! Lovely and solid tanks aren't they? But gotta say I'm having a bit of a issue with the lighting as I can never gauge the intensity of the lighting I'm putting into the tank with the variable dimmer, which I'm sure is contributing to my algae problems as I've had it at maximum output and don't whether this is too much! I've got BBA and green/blue algae! Have you experienced such issue(s)? I did upgrade the filter to a 406 as the flow was insufficient

As for the RO water, it's a pleasure in all honesty. The only issue I had was with the place I got it from persuing them with the right tap attachment! What I mean by it's a pleasure, it's just satisfying waiting for the containers to fill up with the lovely contaminated free water and mixing it up with the buffers and Equilibrium mix and then seeing the sparkle and clarity of it when I do a water change with it, sounds a bit geeky and weird but it's satisfying! My tap water contains 3+ ppm of phosphate so it was an necessity... easy to install but I had to put purchase a pump.

I ought to have mentioned my tank is quite heavily planted.

Kind regards
Matt
Hey Matt

Thanks for the reply dude, I may have to look into switching to RO water in the future.
As for the algae problems I haven't really had any, apart from a tiny patch of BBA on a small branch in a high flow area for the first couple of months. I just removed it with a cloth every week and eventually it didn't come back.
I too am pretty heavily planted, lots of stem plants at the start and then started switching them out for mosses and alot of crypts, the panda corydoras love it as it's a jungle.
My tanks Led lighting isn't controllable, it's got the night-time setting but I don't use it to be honest. It's run on a timer and runs for 5 hours(7:00am-12:00) then off for 3 hours, then it's back on for another 5 hour period(15:00-20:00). The co2 is set to come on 45 minutes before lights and goes off 30 minutes before lights out.
The reason for this is that I read the plants are alot quicker to react than any algae so just trying to not give it a chance to get going.
I hope this helps you someway, I'm far from any sort of expert and only finding my own way through it, this is my first ever tank only started last August.
All the best mate
Stuart

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply and most interesting! From yesterday I have lessened the intensity of my lighting so I'll see how that fairs. Your lighting siesta may well be the reason why you don't have any algae issues so maybe on top of lessening intensity I ought to try that.

Cheers dude and thanks again!

Thanks for the reply and most interesting! From yesterday I have lessened the intensity of my lighting so I'll see how that fairs. Your lighting siesta may well be the reason why you don't have any algae issues so maybe on top of lessening intensity I ought to try that.
Lighting siesta has absolutely no use when CO2 is injected to the aquarium. The siesta is to allow some time for CO2 levels to go back up on low tech tanks.

Lighting siesta has absolutely no use when CO2 is injected to the aquarium. The siesta is to allow some time for CO2 levels to go back up on low tech tanks.
Fair enough, I didn't know that. It just seems to work for my tank and also allows me time for tank maintenence around my working hours.

Hi all!

I'm having a right battle of algae of late within my 129 litre Fluval F-90 tank. I've experienced the whole family of algae and it's grandma but this bugger still persists!

It's a brown rust like algae that I presume could be Diatomic? My lights (LED) are on for 6 hours a day, Co2 around a bubble per second, daily EI dosing, Eco complete substate, good flow, weekly 50% water changes with RO water and light 'gravel vaccing', KH 4, drop checker light/lime green.

Does anybody know what this algae is that affects mainly my 'down stream' plays like Hydrophila Difformis?

Many thanks in advance on any help you could offer!
Matt

Hey Matty, sorry to hear you still struggling with the algae dude. As nobody else has replied as yet I'm gonna throw up some suggestions to try help in some way. As your already aware I have the same tank as you but smaller size, however I'm dosing more co2 than you are(assuming the bubbles are the same size, God knows how you check that!) for a tank 33% smaller than yours. Maybe your drop checker is in the wrong position and giving you a higher reading than what the majority of the tank is actually receiving? And also are you dosing the ferts every day? I always give mine a days rest per week and sometimes miss a few days out per week due to work.

By the way I'm putting around 80 bubbles per minute in mine.

Stuart

Back