• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What deficiency does my plants have?

Bhavik

Hi there here are a couple of pictures of my plants i just wanted to know what deficiency my plants have i think it might be potassium but im not sure.

there are some holes in the top parts of leaves. Some of the tips of leaves become yellow and then evenutally the whole leaf and then dies away

thanks for your help

IMG_1766.jpg
IMG_1768.jpg
IMG_1769.jpg
IMG_1770.jpg
IMG_1771.jpg

Yeah I would have thought the holes were to do with the fish
I have 2 jewel fish, couple of angels, a pleco and I assume it him!

I just started dosing leaf zone by api yesterday other than that have added anything

What is the cause of the yellowing?
And browning of my vals

Hi
Probably the Pleco!
Purchase a All in One fertilizer!...add root tabs under the Amazon swords!
This will cover all bases!
Nitrogen deficiency maybe one of the causes of yellowing leaves!
Water changes will improve the health of your plants....remove all leaves affected with BBA.
Browning could be diatoms!
hoggie

Plec's usually suck the green pigment from the plant lleaves - not bite holes, as time goes by and the plecs sucked all the pigment out of the plant the leaves with end up looking a lace plant

ok so what fert can i add to the tank to improve my plant growth and get rid of the yellow/ brownish leaves in my tank?

thanks

Hi all,
Nitrogen deficiency maybe one of the causes of yellowing leaves!
What is the cause of the yellowing?
Probably lack or nitrogen (N) or potassium (K).
Probably the Pleco!
Same for me.
I was using the lush fert max from eBay but it didn't really do anything maybe it was because I wasn't using co2?
No, it should be fine. Aquatic plants are CO2 limited, but they can only make use of the extra carbon when all the other nutrients are available.

I use a <"floating plant as an indicator of nutrient status">, because it has access to 400ppm. atmospheric CO2 it takes CO2 out of the equation.

cheers Darrel

Hi ok but then why wasnt anything improving with my plants if i was using the lush max ferts? i was dosing everyday and i didnt see any improvement to my plants at all :/

this fert also has N and K as high conc

Hi all,
Hi ok but then why wasnt anything improving with my plants if i was using the lush max ferts? i was dosing everyday and i didnt see any improvement to my plants at all :/
If your water is very hard (high dGH/dKH)? You may have problems with phosphorus (P) and iron (Fe) precipitating out of solution in the tank.

If your water is very soft then it might be lack of calcium (Ca). Neither iron or calcium is mobile within the plant, so deficiencies in these effect younger leaves. Deficiencies of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus are all mobile and effect older leaves first.

There isn't much phosphorus in the LUSH fertiliser, but you can buy di-potassium hydrogen phosphate (K2HPO4) easily from the WWW (it is used as a food supplement, as well as as a fertiliser).

If you have a really bright light you may be seeing damage from excess photons. If CO2 is limited then the plant can't convert PAR into carbohydrates.

cheers Darrel

i dont know think i have a problem with phosphorus like you guys said its either N or K and that seems to be true as it is the old leaves that are affected and the new ones are green and healthy.

So i mean what do i do now? i was thinking of getting co2 which might help the plants take the ferts in but ferts wise what should i do?

thanks

Hi
When did you purchase these plants?
If your seeing new green growth...which takes a few weeks with fertilisation ....... and your not dosing Co2, your on the right track!
Remove Old leaves or any others that have algae issues, discolouring or been damaged... this removes potential pollutants from your aquarium!
Doing the above will help with accelerating new growth...and your plants will not be wasting lots of energy trying to regenerate damaged growth!
Which is pointless as these leave will not recover!
Do a weekly water change to freshen up the water column!
Regards
hoggie

The Amazon and vals have been there for a good couple of years and the crinum I just bought about couple of months but it's not growing no new leaves :/

Yeah I'm getting good green growth from new leaves but the old leaves are the ones that are turning yellow some from tips and then dying away.
No matter how many times I remove the old/dead leaves they just keep coming back

So I don't know what to do....I was thinking of getting co2 and ATM I'm using api leaf zone do you think that and co2 well really make a difference?

You say to do a weekly water change how much would you say to do as it is a 200l tank

Probably look at doing 30%wc three times a week,and try to have a reduced lghting period to six hours and reduce your lighting intensity/ or raise the lighting height?, if you have soft water a GH booster in addition and what Hoggie and Darrell advise,in above posts.Bit of trial and error.I might be wrong but some of your plants look like greedy feeders so the root tablets should help

Back