• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transformer help for solenoid

Million

Hi all,

I have a second hand JBL ProFlora system with solenoid from mainland Europe. It came with a transformer which is bulky, heavy, and has a European two pin plug. When attached to a multi plug extension via a euro-uk adaptor it's really ungainly. I'd like to replace the transformer with one that has a native plug to cut the faff. I don't know much about electronics. The solenoid cable plugs into the transformer using a small asymmetric two pin connector I recognize from an Ikea bedside light I have. The photos hopefully illustrate what I'm talking about well enough.

Can anyone help me find an appropriate transformer please?
20170305_214333-01.png
20170305_214333-01.png
20170305_214408-01.png
20170305_214342-01.png

So what you are looking for is a 230v power supply with an output same as marked on the one you have .

Have you tried Ebay or Maplins or RS Components .Loads of things use low voltage power supplies so I'd have thought there shouldn't be much trouble locating one neater than the one in your pics and just connect that small flat/round 2 pin flex to it using a secure method ...just make sure the polarity is right way round .. .

Can you not just use the one you have but hide it out of sight

Thing is i don't know what the name of the flat/round connection is to search for, otherwise I would
Loads of things use low voltage power supplies so I'd have thought there shouldn't be much trouble locating one neater than the one in your pics and just connect that small flat/round 2 pin flex to it using a secure method ...just make sure the polarity is right way round .. .

Can you not just use the one you have but hide it out of sight
And the cupboard space is limited!

Dont look for one that accepts the flat/ round connector.. I doubt you'll find one.. the voltage reducer you get will have an "out" flex so cut off the flat/round connector and join the two flexes ( checking the polarity again) using an inline switch or crimps and shrink tubing or a choc block .( its only 12v) . I still think that using the one supplied is the best option if you put your mind to the " space " issue

You can use any other AC 220 / DC 12 volt transformer as long as it equals the Amp output.. On that old jbl transformer it says 0.125 AMP.. Any regular small household universal 12 volt transformer has 1 amp standard... So that always will be sufficient.. The plug looks like an old din speaker plug, that wont be available anymore today on power supplies. Only thing you probably wont find is an addapter frim DIN to jack, so you might need to cut off both plugs and reconnect them with another connector type.

Back