• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA

You technically could - but I think we all have to realize that algae will always be part of a planted tank. You'll never get rid of it, only minimize it. IMO, adding CO2 on for 24hrs will not really help because there is an imbalance of some sort - and that imbalance will remain once again even after you revert back to normal CO2 durations. I am going to the ADA NA Gallery next year - and I'm going to inspect the tank closely to see if I can find any algae and whatnot (to see if it's true that even an expert's tank can have algae). But unless you've devoted your life's work trying to figure out this balance (like Amano has), it will take a lot of effort. No easy fix - just persistence and logic =).

Your best bet is to figure out the imbalance (may take some time, I'm still trying to figure it out) and tackle it like that. Perhaps your CO2 levels are sufficient but you don't have enough plant mass to support the lighting you have despite the lower light duration. Then I would lower intensity/remove the reflectors and monitor after a week. See what happens, if this helps - then you know that the light is too strong. Then what you do is lower the light intensity/duration even a bit more, and see what happens after a week. Or you could also add more plants and then see what happens the next week. If it looks good - but you still have some algae left, then try to lower your dosing regimen. Then monitor after a week and see what happens. Algae will always be present, but how much you see will be dependent on how diligent you are to finding the right balance.

ada tanks do get algae , but not likely to spot in their showroom tank since they are so diligent , if you spot algae at the early stage , much easily to get rid then a full-blown neglected one

:)

bba_at_sumida.jpg

this sumida aquarium was mentioned that it was to be maintained by two ada staff , which they have to rent a place for them to stay ,looks like they are slacking on the job ?

ada tanks do get algae , but not likely to spot in their showroom tank since they are so diligent , if you spot algae at the early stage , much easily to get rid then a full-blown neglected one

Good to know! Makes me feel better for having algae in my tanks haha - conquer one thing another pops up...

I've been wanting to start this fire for a while... note that I have no experience with this, I've just made some research...

Trace detox... some people say that cutting traces (aka micro nutrients) for a few days and then dosing really small amounts, do wonders on BBA... let the fireworks begin! :twisted:

No fireworks from me but I am one of those people that believe trace overdose causes many problems one of them being BBA or other types of algae.

I know some people are not on board with the trace toxicity thing but I toiled over my tank long enough to say wholeheartedly that whenever I added them from dry powders with the EI routine in mind I saw multiple issues.

Four times it happened. Now I have gone back to soil. I haven't dosed micros since and I haven't had to use any easycarbo either. It's early days but the differences have been obvious.

Soil tank using EI co2 and t5 lighting.

IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG
IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1555.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG
Soil tank after ceasing micros only.

Attachments

• IMG_2033.JPG
    IMG_2033.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2043.JPG
    IMG_2043.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2045.JPG
    IMG_2045.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2046.JPG
    IMG_2046.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    583 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2116.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 98
Plants got way out of control. Fish and shrimp stopped dying. Amanos even carrying eggs. It was ridiculous.
I can show you the same before and after pics in my new tank too.

IMG_2033.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2045.JPG
IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2104.JPG
IMG_2106.JPG
IMG_2161.JPG

I can say that I was in the hospital for 5 days 2 weeks ago (my partner gave birth to our first son) and with no lights, CO2, and fertz I was amazed to see that after those 5 days the tank looked better than ever...

Wow, what is amazing Soilwork! What kind of soil do you use? And how much macros are you currently dosing? Weekly water change or less?

Thank so much fablau. I tore this tank down as it was too large. Being Inbetween a chimney breast and a wall made maintenance very difficult. The plants are the easier ones no doubt and they were taking lots of co2.

It was John innes no3 which was problematic initially. I didn't have enough flow or surface agitation at first.

I was doing full EI macros at 3 weekly doses. Micros were not required. I didn't mineralise the soil (it's just so messy) but added crushed coral and red clay balls. Took about 6 months maybe more to get it to this stage but I made a lot of mistakes along the way.

Still trying to find the sweet spot in my new soil tank using John innes no1.

You are most than welcome, that tank looked great. Thank you for the info. I am sure the substrate gave enough traces for your plants to grow, clay must have plenty of those. Good job indeed. Any plans for a new tank?

Thanks yes I do have a new tank up and running but it hasnt been easy. Still trying to find the balance.

I found out that John innes contains additional Fertilisers which may not help the situation initially. No3 has 3x more than no1 but I think the loam/peat mix is a good one. After a few month when soil pH and redox stabilise and I have the necessary anaerobic and aerobic micrograms required to facilitate plant growth things will improve. I am using eco complete as a cap.

I'll post pictures or start a thread when the tank is looking better. Some plants are responding very well while others are struggling a bit. I've upped the co2 and reduced the light (those Chihiros A series pack a punch) and I'm continuing macros. Pretty confident things will improve.

Back