• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Too cold for a fountain, an idea......coming soon.

martin-green

As my avatar shows I have a fountain in the garden, but when its really cold and I get ice, its not really a good idea to let the fountain run, (But not for reasons you are probably thinking of) so I have been looking and I have come up with an idea. Pictures and more to follow. (Waiting for something to arrive)

This is a post about an Idea I have, your opinions are more than welcome, but its nothing to do with ponds, fish, fish keeping or Koi ponds, so please may I ask that if you have any of the afore mentioned, you just enjoy it yours and don't post information about it in this thread.
I thank you.

:) It has arrived.
The bad news is I doubt I will have time this week end.

Attachments

• q.jpg
    q.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 178
It'll work, i use the excact same thermostats, i'm not going to tell you for wath. :rolleyes: You don't want to know.. But they are realy good for the money.. :)

There are few other designs around as well.. More aestheticaly to build in, but internal they are the same and have an alarm buzzer.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/DC-1...32700379929.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.o0quTi

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Digi...32784639173.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.o0quTi

And if you worry about the temp probe getting moved.. You can use this one, it is the same.. It can be secured in the pipe or where ever you like with regular M8 thread.
http://www.banggood.com/NTC-10K-2M-...r-TEMP-Controller-p-987736.html?rmmds=myorder

It works when "on the bench" now all I have to do is install it.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 140
Its been a while, but here are some pictures of it working.:)

Picture 1, is the unit measuring normal outside temperature.
Picture 2, is the unit when its too cold (Dry ice on the temperature sensor)
Picture 3, is the unit warming up again.

The unit's on board relay operates a bigger relay, this bigger relay cuts the mains supply off from the fountain pump. As the weather gets warmer, so the ambient temperature will rise and the big relay will be switched off and the supply to the fountain pump restored. (The fountain will only run if a movement sensor detects movement) The whole idea being that in the winter some of the nozzles freeze solid, but some don't. The ones that don't freeze solid get full pressure from the pump and so the water goes higher than normal, leaving the pool and so empties the pool of water, so the pump runs almost dry. For what little the unit cost I would prefer to spend this than to loose a pump.

.........................Video soon....if you like?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    924.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    920.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    928 KB · Views: 142
Pleased to say it works as expected. We have had some really old weather and the fountains still work, but when its cold enough for ice, the fountains stop long before. :) :thumbup:

Back