• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap lighting for 4ft low tech tank?

humdingerx

Hope someone can help. I've a 4ft wide tank about 30-40cm of water height, so not too deep. Probably about 180-90litres of water.

It came with just a single t8 controller at 18watts or so. So probably not very good, though the tank still looks bright when turned on!

I would like a low cost low maintenance tank. So crypts, amazon swords, no co2 injection, some ferts.

I'd like to get twisted vals and dwarf sag growing too ideally.

What options are there very cheap? I'm talking £50 or so ideally.

If nothing, would DIY house light sockets work if sealed in a suitable waterproof container??

I've made lighting unit myself which works well so far. It just 4 cheap spotlight (gu10 socket) a bit of wood and wiring which ended costing me around £25-£30 for lot. And actually I think it might be too much of light with 2x35w halogen and 2x3w led(equivalent of 35w of halogen) over 4ft 240l tank. Not the best looking so far as for cables being visible but definitely low budget option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should work but I would go for 2x 10w flood lights as I actually originally planned but couldn't find cheap enough. I read a thread on ukaps that it doesn't matter what kind of light you're using as plants will utilise any kind of it. But if it's too much/not enough then someone more experienced will have to help you.

though the tank still looks bright when turned on!
If it look bright it is probably enough light. You could get t5 bulbs/controller but you'd only need one bulb. I've just replaced a dsuny led system with a 4x t5ho unit and I'm only going to need 2 of those bulbs by the look of it. My tank is 60cm deep.

Thanks all I decided to go with 2 x 10watt LED security lights as the cheapest option. Found two slim looking ones off ebay for £12 so not far off the Home Bargains prices

MwnX5yu.jpg

Was looking to update my thread on cheap lights when I came across yours.

How does USD50 sound to you and that's for TWO lights? :D

How does

MwnX5yu.jpg

Was looking to update my thread on cheap lights when I came across yours.

How does USD50 sound to you and that's for TWO lights? :D

How does

That's a good price

Too bad they're fixed frame lights. Was thinking of buying more if they were like pendant lights and I could use them on tanks of other sizes if they were too bright for my storeroom tank.

Too bad they're fixed frame lights. Was thinking of buying more if they were like pendant lights and I could use them on tanks of other sizes if they were too bright for my storeroom tank.

Just can't get them here in UK at that price

I was thinking of getting a good price for like 10 sets if people overseas wanted them but the problem is their boxes are just plain cardboard boxes with no other protection than a plastic bag.

The world's top airport cargo complexes get to that level mainly by ditching procedure out the window as far as physical handling is concerned. The idea is to get the cargo into the container or onto the pallet, secure it and get it on board the plane. If it doesn't fit, they'll make it fit. :D

The world's top airport cargo complexes get to that level mainly by ditching procedure out the window as far as physical handling is concerned. The idea is to get the cargo into the container or onto the pallet, secure it and get it on board the plane. If it doesn't fit, they'll make it fit. :D

I've seen how boxes of fish are handled and I'm still amazed that there are few DOA's

Let me know if you work out how to ship them in one piece

Wait till you see or hear about those which were shortshipped. Truly a disturbing sight to see thousands of beautiful, sometimes expensive and occasionally even rare fishes just dumped straight into the bin. The more merciful among us will open the bags and crush them to death. If left alone, they'll take a long time to die of suffocation in the bags.

The shippers and consignees do not care because they're fully covered by insurance.

Back