• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC turning Brown

I wasn't dreaming but I didn't think that there'd still be enough phosphate to react with the Flourish and EDTA FE the next day but it's only happened once and I knew that was the reason for the slightly cloudy water.

Seachem Flourish Comprehensive also contains some PO4. It's actually an all-in-one fert to a degree, just containing less macros than a true all-in-one like Tropica Specilised. So the gluconate can decently protect Fe from PO4, it's the pH/kH that is its weak point.

Seachem Flourish Comprehensive also contains some PO4. It's actually an all-in-one fert to a degree, just containing less macros than a true all-in-one like Tropica Specilised. So the gluconate can decently protect Fe from PO4, it's the pH/kH that is its weak point.

But I have extra iron from the EDTA source.

Good morning to you all,

I have another point of view.
What happen here is the result of lack of care and inbalance tank.
What is happening now could happen earlier.

Fisrts of all he´s using Amazonia and didn´t realize WC as it should be.
Secondly hasn´t done an apropriate fertilization. With that Amazonia he should only dose K and Fe (Step 1) for the first month or more even. Cause Amazonia as we all know is 100 times more reacher of nutrients than any other substrate in the market.

So the tank was being filled with lot´s and lot´s of nutrients and has also more algae issues. Just take a look to the glass and the bottom of the tank.

Adding Excell was not also a good ideia. I don´t know why you decide doing so. Excel is more an algicide than a CO2 form. You were slowly "burning" the HC with this.

We can´t point also if you´re running bacteria as it should be cause there´s no mention about the filter.

CO2 in a 3 BPS usually ir way more than 30 PPM.. so you´re adding too much CO2 and that is also bad.

And finally.. most important issue on a tank.. the Light! Energy. That little thing that provides the manufactoring of "Sugar" to our plants. As you have a DYi we can´t define how much Lumens you got there and also the colour spectrum.

It´s well known that HC really needs too much light. Some people claim that can cultivate HC with medium light but if we do a search along all our mates we will realise that is kind of tricky..

What you got there is a result of an inbalance tank and i´m also surprised for how long that plant resist.
That couldn´t happen in one day to another. It´s the result of the amount of amonia that was kept in the Amazonia cause of lack of WC and Filtering and the other unbalance parameters. I should say that i´m also surprised for how long the HC handle..but for me the cause is Amonia!

If you took of some part of the plant probably you´ll find roots to browny or dead or melting cause the amounts of amonia in there.

This is my point of view.

Thanks to all.

Possibly adding more Fe along with checking you are dosing correct amounts of Mg. Mg is needed to enable Fe take up.

If there are nutrients that are synergistic towards each other then it must also be true that there are nutrients that are antagonistic towards each other therefore an excess of Mg could cause Fe deficiency or vice versa.

I always wonder why we accept synergy but not antagonism?

I sometimes feel (although it will never be proven) that we are forced to dose absurd amounts of ferts (particularly in hard water) just to even up the nutrient ratios and avoid deficiency. Maybe this is why EI works well in some tanks but seems to cause issues in others.

Just food for thought. Not trying to start something here.

Maybe this is why EI works well in some tanks but seems to cause issues in others.

Evening,

I don´t even insert any fert on my tank. Just add reenforced my Tropica Plant Growth with a complement bought in an agriculture store (not any aditive) that i mixed with in the very beggining and till today and time to time i do some testing and always have between 0 to 5 PPM of No3. PO4 doens´t even occur in the tests. Fe between 0.05.

As for "EI" i don´t use it for quite a long time.. and i do not intend to. ;)
For what is my concern "EI" is a major problem in our tanks starting with oxidation second effects and huge amounts of nutrients without control.. Barr created or discovered that but follow my judgement: Do you allready aknowleddge how many many many people having issues with "EI"? And why?

IMO plants don´t need that kind and amount of nutrients. In order for us to put a plant consuming 20 PPM of nutrients what is required?
But hen again this are just my thoughts..

Big hug

From the little knowledge and experience that I have with EI, it's for highly lit tanks where the plants have acclimatized to that kind of energy raining down on them. That's when EI will do the most good. You can't take sensitive plants from a lower energy or emersed environment, dump them into a long photoperiod highly lit EI fertilized tank and expect magic to happen.

And before the flaming starts, I'm going to end like Paulo up there with ...

Big hug.

:D:D:D

Hi , EI is working on tanks with very good filtration and very good CO2 levels and water circulation and very good maintenance . Also moderate light about 50-70 PAR at substrate level and fast growing plants like rotala .

Of course if you don't clean your tank and plants are not growing and you just keep adding nutrients than you run into trouble . That's all about EI .

I do sustain what Paulo says about new amazonia soil , need to do water changes in the first month , each 2 days 50 % water change . Ammonia isn't good .

Do water changes , dose less nutrients in the beginning , trim the bad looking plants and be sure you have good CO2 levels and circulation in the tank and you will be fine . Filtration is also very important .

Also watch the light intensity , don't burn your plants , this is very important

What filter do you have and what media inside the filter ?

Good luck

Hi , EI is working on tanks with very good filtration and very good CO2 levels and water circulation and very good maintenance . Also moderate light about 50-70 PAR at substrate level and fast growing plants like rotala .

Of course if you don't clean your tank and plants are not growing and you just keep adding nutrients than you run into trouble . That's all about EI .

I do sustain what Paulo says about new amazonia soil , need to do water changes in the first month , each 2 days 50 % water change . Ammonia isn't good .

Do water changes , dose less nutrients in the beginning , trim the bad looking plants and be sure you have good CO2 levels and circulation in the tank and you will be fine . Filtration is also very important .

Also watch the light intensity , don't burn your plants , this is very important

What filter do you have and what media inside the filter ?

Good luck

I'm having the greatest success yet in the 40-50PAR mark. Colours are not fantastic but it's good to have health finally. A series is cold also which may be contributing to wash out.

Back