• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What should I test for with topsoil substrate?

Sianita

Can anyone tell me what tests I should run on the water when trying to use new topsoil that nobody else has used in aquarium?
It states that it won't effect pH so am I rigt in thinking its just ammonia I need to test for or other things as well?
Any advice will be much appreciated thanks

Likely much more useful to obtain comprehensive soil analysis from the manufacturer - or look at cost of submitting your own sample

With top soil, it's a little risk with heavy metals etc but the cost I testing for that would be too high. Might as well buy aqua soil.

I would cycle the top soil for a few weeks and use it.

Thanks very much for replying.

Do you think it would be ok to try and cycle the topsoil with some hardy live plants for a couple months?
I am going to get a master test kit before I think of buying fish but I wasn't sure if I needed that to see if the topsoil would be safe enough in an aquarium.

Thanks alto I actually just found it earlier today and had a good read through.
Im thinking it would just be safer and easier to buy aquarium soil/subtrate so for my wee practice tank an just going to use aquarium gravel I have already :)

Back