• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nelson's 120P

Hi all,
why pick the leaves of those two plants as opposed to oak etc?
I don't think they offer any particular advantage over Oak (Quercus spp.) in terms of water chemistry etc.

It is more to do with size and longevity. They are both very persistent. I pick up the Camellia leaves for the same reason, they last well. I've used these leaves, and Alder cones etc, for a long time, there is more in this thread <"catappa leaves"> from 2011.

A lot of tropical trees have glossy leaves that are same shape, oval with a drip tip, so Magnolia grandiflora leaves probably look a bit more authentic.

I noticed that Nelson's "Tannin Aquatics" leaf litter pack had Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) leaves, and there is a tree about 25 meters from my desk, so I added some of them. The Magnolia grandiflora tree is just on the other side of the wall from the Loquat.

cheers Darrel

DSC_0546_zpsoi0dxz3l.jpg

DSC_0559_zpscwkszssb.jpg

DSC_0557_zpsk1xbxehk.jpg

DSC_0555_zpsoq348jyg.jpg

DSC_0550_zpsikuenvyp.jpg

Really super scape ☺ When the youtube video ends, it shows a 3x3 grid of related videos...I clicked one & it was another of your videos! Feel a bit stalker-ish now lol...

Stuff like this really makes me want to splurge on some of the Tannin stuff; although what it could end up costing me if it get nabbed in customs is insane for what is essentially a bag of forest floor... Still:woot:

Excellent tank. I do like the NA-style, but it really isn't very natural looking*. This, however, has a very nice natural look, partly from the use of 'botanicals', and partly from the restraint in plant choice. Bloody well done.

*yeah, I'm aware NA isn't supposed to resemble natural bodies of water.

I too, "broke the bank" with tannin aquatics; your tank convinced me to do it; shipping and customs costs were higher than that of the products themselves; it's outrageous !

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk

Shipping is a flat rate $18 to the UK,is it the same for France ?.
Import tax can be a killer.I got lucky with mine,but have just done another order.

Let's see your tank Eduard.

great scape Neil, will you enter this into any of the biotope comps this year ?
Probably not.
They seem to be exact locations/rivers now.With only plants and fish from that location.
Mines too random..

Reactions: tim
Back