• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Problem With My Kid

Smells Fishy

So I have a just turned 1 year old boy who is causing problems for my fish tank and its stand. He can't yet walk but can take a few steps before falling down on his bum, he sort of shuffles along things, up against them like a crab. And it's by the fish tank he has a liking for doing it, hmmmm. Me and my partner keep telling him 'no' when we see he's going for the fish tank or he's up against it because we are worried he's going to hurt himself. There's been a few times that he's lost his balance and nearly hit his head off the glass or the stand so obviously it's not safe. I do enjoy seeing him pressed right up against the glass transfixed and he also makes out with the glass so you can imagine how clean it is. He understands not to go to the fish tank or climb up at it sometimes, and has stopped himself. Most of the time that's not the case, and we have to come pick him up and put him away from the tank, he finds it funny and will bang on the glass really hard which is annoying. Basically we don't know what to do. So I'm reaching out for a solution maybe or just someones experience that can relate? Does anyone know an age that I can expect this to stop? Obviously every kid is different so its a bit hard to answer that one . I'm planning on DIY'ing a new taller stand so there's less glass for him to bAng on. The current stand is really low, only 14inch of the ground so I'm thinking of making this one at least 2ft high, that will workout better as well because I could hide my 2 externals from him. I'll appreciate any help.

Cheers.

Having two small kids I can relate. I think the key is having anything you don't want touched well out of reach. He's too little to be taught not to approach the tank. I think 80-90cm is a good height as it suits viewing from sitting or standing positions, maintenance doesn't kill your back, and they can't reach that height til they're old enough to learn not to!

lol get one of those bounces chair things stick him in that

He's got a jumperoo and doesn't use it anymore cos he's pretty much grown out of it and he doesn't find it fun like he used to. He reached a milestone today and took 10 steps! Anyway like Million said there's not much to be done other than keep the fish tank out of reach, just going to have to put up with it I guess until he can properly learn.

You could get one off those electric fences like they use to keep cattle in fields. Sure it would work a treat.
Until family services turn up !!!

Feel you pain, we had no ornaments or fish tanks when ours was young

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

Feel you pain, we had no ornaments or fish tanks when ours was young

Man that must have sucked. I don't think I could live like that, not having anything worthwhile to just stare at would depress me. I've only been fishkeeping properly for 4 years but since I got the bug I've never been without a fish tank. I'll be getting my son to come round and look after my tank when I'm well old like in my 80's or something and I can't really maintain it. Life without a tank would be sh1t, straight up.

I'd put a pen around it. Babydan do a hearth guard that you can fix to the wall. I don't think we ever had that problem as the tanks were all 90cm or more off the ground.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd put a pen around it. Babydan do a hearth guard that you can fix to the wall. I don't think we ever had that problem as the tanks were all 90cm or more off the ground.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'll look into that thanks.

Back