• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp disease

matt107

Seedling
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help or has had the same problems?

I have lost around 6 of my Taiwan bees in a shrimp only tank. I worked out what the problem was, an internal bacteria infection. 2 have survived 2 weeks since the last death so hopefully they are over it (currently in a small hospital tank)

My questions is, I would like to use the original tank again for new shrimp, can I just add more and hope that the bacteria has gone, would I need to boil everything in it and start fresh or get rid of all gravel / equipment etc.

any experience would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Matt

looked it up online and they had the same problem, shrimp dying standing up, all orange heads and small brown spots / patches before they died.

I've spoken to my shrimp guy who said he had the same problem a little while ago, he used TCP and excessive water changes to cure it which it did.

Im going to try that and see how i get on with the survivors.

Please do report back with your findings. My learning curve has proven (and the loss of quite a few shrimp at the same time) that too many water changes stresses the shrimps by excess moulting. However if it's your only option then all i can recommend you also dose with minerals that the shrimp can absorb. My methods is to change about 10-15 % every 6 weeks for cherrys and 10-20% every 4 weeks for CRS. Mineral rocks and/or montmorillonite powder highly recommended with water changes but watch the TDS as it can influence that parameter.
best of luck Matt.

thanks for the advice. think I got ti too late as only actioned after 2 passed. they all died in that tank unfortunately. I have put a few 'tester' low grade taitibees who seem to be ok for the time being. Hoping it was internal bacterial infection rather than in the water.

regarding water changes, I perform about 10% weekly, have a permanent mineral rock in every tank, I only get the new water to ~60-80 tds as it will normally rise by 5-10 during the week so this equalises it around 140. the other 3 tank have been fine, breeding away nicely. I think I may have overfed the infected tank as the stocking was around half of the other tanks. live and learn I spose but £100 lessons hurt a little.

Hi Matt,

your method of TDS constantly in flux goes against the traditional method of keeping everything stable all the time - if your shrimp are constantly have the TDS parameters dropped and increased then I'm fairly sure Taiwans won't be able to withstand it.
I haven't kept Taiwans but the idea is to keep absolutely everything as stable as you can - I sincerely wish you luck but if your TDS is constantly rising and dropping I think your TB's will suffer. I'm hyper senstive about feeding as well, my crystals are now on a very strict Leaf litter (dried Cappata, guava, mulberry and banana leaf)/fresh veg leaf diet with a 'premium' food once or twice a week. since starting to keep shrimp, I've really likened the hobby to water parameter management.. a fully cycled tank with good filters and proper feed regime does a lot of the work for you but if a spike hits and you don't catch it - it's sayonara ornamental shrimp.

If you are really keen to swot up I recommend grabbing a coffee and searching you tube for a channel called Marks Shrimp tanks - he has a large library stretching back years documenting how to look after shrimp. It's a good point of reference if you need a 'how to' for anytthing shrimp related. I've certainly learned a good deal from him.
All the best - Allan.

thanks for the recommendation, I have seen quite a few of his videos on youtube amongst others. I dont consider a fluctuation of 5-10 tds to be that excessive and have quite happily bred taiwans using these parameters and methods. I appreciate what you are saying and yes, stability is key. it was just that one tank that wasnt well, I have never had any other problems in 2 years. I spoke to a few people on another forum and they have had whole tanks be wiped out by a 'mystery disease'. I only feed twice a week sparingly alongside oak leaves and alder cones. It seems to work ok with akadama gravel and salty shrimp remineralised RO.

Next time get some baytril 10% injectable from a vet.
Day 1: 2 ml/100 L
Day 6 : 2 ml/100 L
Day 10 : change 50% minimum of the water

Back