• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning redmoor for re-use?

Fran

Hi all, I am planning on a re-scape and want to re-use a couple of large redmoor pieces. However, they have some black beard algae on the upper portions and I was planning on giving them a good clean. I would appreciate any tips from anybody who has experience cleaning redmoor. Is there any chemical can add to the water when cleaning or any particular method that works well? Cheers for the replies.

Hi all, I am planning on a re-scape and want to re-use a couple of large redmoor pieces. However, they have some black beard algae on the upper portions and I was planning on giving them a good clean. I would appreciate any tips from anybody who has experience cleaning redmoor. Is there any chemical can add to the water when cleaning or any particular method that works well? Cheers for the replies.
Hi Fran, I have not tried it on wood but I have spot treated plants with liquid carbon to good effect

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Boiling water, scrub, boiling water. Easy and clean.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quick scrub to remove longer growth, spray thoroughly with Excel so algae is well "soaked", sit for an hour or overnight, scrub again - most should come off at this stage
Re-examine under tank conditions (water + lights) to find the missed or stubborn spots & treat those areas again
Once you've removed all visible algae, spray wood again with Excel & rest overnight - keep in a humid environment to slow the drying out of the Excel
Wood should now be virtually stubborn-algae-free ;)

You can also run wood through a "sanitize" cycle in your dishwasher (this depends on what sort of soaps you use as you don't want residue if shrimp are intended ... I only use dishwasher for storage :p) if you're felling slightly paranoid (adjunct to above, not a replacement therapy ;))

Back