• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

It's plant ID time again!

Progen

hsysgFU.jpg

I've had this plant for a few months now but with stupidity and ignorance, it's melted almost completely but it's started to come back recently.

I've always wondered what it is but was ashamed to show it in such a sorry state.

So now that it's on the comeback, can someone please tell me what it is?

Some Aponogeton species.
I can't give you a species name, since there are quite a lot, that look alike. When growing bigger leaves it might help and flowering would maybe help, too. Most species of Aponogeton willingly flower in a tank.
Knowing your location makes it very possible, you have access to species I do not even know, though.....;).

Yeah, now that I'm really into this planted tank thing, I realized that the local shops actually do have lots of plants, especially the stemmed ones.

Prices are low, usually around USD0.65 - 0.70 for a few stalks so my next project will be a Dutch style one. Imagine being able to fill a 50G full of plants and ONLY needing to spend somewhere around USD50 to get 100 stems because the shops start throwing in freebies when you take virtually everything in their tanks.

Some Aponogeton species.

Hey, thanks for the genus name! After looking through some photos, it looks to me like Aponogeton crispus.

The thing about most shops here is they don't know what they're getting, they don't care what they're getting, they don't know when they'll be getting anything and the WORST is they don't know what they've gotten.

He he - that was EXACTLY what I ment by knowing your location.
I get a lot of plants for testing, often from Asia, carrying weird names. I usually tell my colleges, they might as well call the plant 'Donald Duck' which would be equal correct anyway. Until possible botanical ID, my plants are therefore named only by a specific number.
Serious conversations require a latin name, since this can be given to one, specific plant - and this plant only. There are strict rules.
The common names (='Donald Duck') has no rules and can be given to any plant.........:banghead:.

- my best guess on your Aponogeton sp. would be A. crispus too. It looks like that and it is by far the most common sold species.

2uLdJeh.jpg

It still isn't show quality, having translucent leaves, but it's flowered.

Last edited:
Serious conversations require a latin name, since this can be given to one, specific plant - and this plant only. There are strict rules.

Just for the fun i was always interested in etymology of names, especialy of the sp. i keep myself. For me knowing this, sometimes gives a total other insight and dimesion to what's in my tank and respect them in a total different way.

And in botanica it oftenly is actualy a very simple name, sometimes just about the location it is found or what it is used for or what it's properties are if it is edible or medicinal.. Still not clear to me what the rules excactly are, some names date back to ancient times other are just direct translations to latin from a name given by a European explorer or even gets the explorers or identifiers name. Since latin is the international accepted scientific language, then all sceintist world wide know what is what when it's mentioned. Latin and greek were the languages from the classical world, common people spoke latin the elite spoke greek, so here and there you find latin words with greek origine.

Aponogeton crispus
Apono = something like spring/well.
Geitōn = something like neighbour.
crispus = Curly

So it is the curly one from next to the spring.. :) It simply makes sence doesn't it?

Aponogeton robinsonii, must be the one from next to the spring identified by sir Robinson.. :)

So even persons are decorated with latin names in the club.. Today it got a bit out of practice but in the early days it was very common. Like Regiomontanus, or Copernicus.. Both famous names hearing them you would think they were white bearded greek scholars hanging around in a temple philosophizing about intresting stuff. But no, Regiomontanus was a German Johan Müller and from Königsbergen (kingsmountain - regiomontanis). And Niklas Koppernigk - Copernicus was polish.

- flower look like the one of A. crispus. Single stem of white flowers, and should be moderate to heavily scented with a pleasent, sweet scent.
Same goes for many other species, so this only exclude some species, bearing ex. purple flowers or forked stems of flower. It does not verify the exact identity of this plant, sorry.

Back