• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tint the World

Eduard18

Well, maybe just a little bit in the beginning, as it's a completely new universe for me :)
I wanted an effective method to stop my cat from drinking from the " force awakens " tank

20170113.jpg

and what better excuse than having another tank next to this one ? ;)
As I'm an avid reader of the Practical fishkeeping magazine I've found two things: a very interesting Fluval Flex Nano and the Tannin Aquatics website; so I seized the opportunity :)
Let me introduce you Fluval Flex 9

p1230014.jpg

sand, river stones, spider wood and no substrate

and the Camarao bolsa from Tannin aquatics - boiling time :D

20170421.jpg

This is the expanded view - I'm thrilled :D:happy: - good overnight freshwater bath

p1230015.jpg

And the plants - nothing fancy, Weeping moss, crypts, anubias, buces and ricardia, well this one is a bit fancy

p1230017.jpg

Let's begin

20170424.jpg

20170423.jpg

As soon as the planting was complete the fish from the "nextdoor" tank wanted to move house :):D:clap:

20170426.jpg

but I also felt that some adjustments of the hardscape were necessary ;)

20170422.jpg

20170425.jpg

At first I was thinking no pressurized CO2, but I had all the staff lined and waiting, so I said to myself, why not? the ceramic diffuser is placed in the back compartment, so no distraction in the tank; it will run 24/7, at about 1 bubble/second

I can't wait to see the evolution of this one ! I feel like jumping of excitement !!:clap::happy:

Really interesting textures in those leaves and things. So is that a selection of natural items specifically designed for leaching tannins into an aquarium?

Exactly ! :D very exciting ! :happy:

This is part of the product description on tannin Aquatics website

" And of course, we created a pack of aquatic botanicals, chosen specifically for shrimp, and it's proven quite popular. And, with a lot of feedback from you shrimp enthusiasts, we've re-imagined and reloaded our "Camarao Bolsa 2.0" to include a greater variety and quantity of the botanicals you've told us work best with your shrimp! "

Yes I know, but there would be some question marks in my case
- it's spring
- I live near Paris so pollution must be considered
- when you collect stuff from the beach there is always the question regarding freshwater suitability
- in that bag there were things which will never be found in this hemisphere
- and besides you get to order all that from a professional, from the comfort of your home, in a few minutes at any time, day or night

Great start.Looking forward to how this develops.
Let the tint begin :).

it's the same for France - 45 $ but I ordered botanicals for 72 $ to stock for future projects ; and let's not forget custom fee :rage: and I haven't won the lottery, but hey this is it ;)

So , it's the third day, the water hasn't turned black, yet, just got a very pleasant tint :)

p1230018.jpg

As I follow the Tropica guideline , I performed a 50% WC and transferred a few red cherry from the "nextdoor" tank ; the biofilm has begun to appear here and there, so this botaniclas seem to work as advertised :)

p1230021.jpg

p1230019.jpg

p1230020.jpg

when you put it like that , yeah it sounds crazy, and it took me some time too to jump on this train, but hey , it's a hobby and a passion, so a greater good ;):)

Of course - I suppose you speak of Camarao bolsa - " This package includes 1 cool Cholla Wood Branch, 4 "Capsula Pods" (loved by shrimp for their soft interiors), 6 yummy Guava Leaves, 1 uber-popular Savu Pod, 4 Coco Curls, 12 Indian Casuarina Cones, 5 Banana Stem pieces, 4 "Teardrop Pods", 3 soft "Flor Rio Pods" "

Hello everybody !
I've run into an unexpected problem with the lighting: I've connected it to a mechanical timer and every time when the power came on the unit started in the storm mode ! :confused: so after some research I had to buy a Fluval controller which sorted it out
Anyway it's Day 11 and everything runs it's course - some fungus and a "berried" red cherry

p1230022.jpg

p1230110.jpg

Hello !
Day 35 ; nothing really new except for KH value of 6; which is kind of strange given that last week it was 5 and at that time I performed a WC of 30% ( about 8 L ) with 100% RO ( KH 1, TDS 19 ) ; could it be because of the Maifanite and tourmaline balls ? :confused:
Anyway another WC today of 30% ( according to the Tropica start up guide ) again 100% RO
Moss is growing pretty well - weeping moss; riccardia is not too bad; but what really amazes me is the lack of crypt meltdown; could it be because of the botanicals ? which by the way are completely intact, like they were the day 1

20170510.jpg

Hi Eduard, don't worry about the Crypts. I have same experience. But now after one month C. Affinis looks great again. I read that is normal...

BTW. Your tank looks amazing!

Odesláno z mého Redmi Note 2 pomocí Tapatalk

Day 63; I had to dial down the lighting a couple of notches, too strong for the Buces and some staghorn began to appear; on the other hand one of the Buces has flowered; the botanicals have began to decompose and the red cherry are everywhere
Here is a video; thanks for watching

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk

Why does the flex have the black stuff at the top of the glass, what purpose does it serve? To me it's a distraction. Great everything btw.

After a month with no maintenance - except for compensating the evaporation, which must be minimal since it's 95% covered tank ;) - everything looks just fine; even if the CO2 canister was empty and the parameters went a little bit " south " : pH 7,21 ; KH 5 ; TDS 201; compared to " before " : pH 6,53 ; KH 4 ; TDS 160

20170810.jpg

Well, despite the decaying botanicals, without CO2 injection, the pH is 8 ?! :rolleyes: I use exclusively RO water without any mineralizing product ; could it be the montmorillonite ? I have 2 stones of these; or is it the plants using all the CO2 ?

Back