• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's your Favourite

Hi all,
What's your Favourite plant for low tech aquarium and why ?
Definitely Amazon Frogbit (<"Limnobium laevigatum">) for me.
  • You can have it in any, and every, tank.
  • It is a floater, so it isn't CO2 limited, and if it is showing deficiency symptoms you know that it isn't carbon.
  • It doesn't care about the pH, or temperature, of the water.
  • It will grow over a wide range of nutrient levels and you can use it for the "Duckweed Index".
  • It isn't always available via shops, and you can give it away on forums, sell it on Ebay or exchange it at your LFS.
  • It has great roots.
cheers Darrel

Hi all, Definitely Amazon Frogbit (<"Limnobium laevigatum">) for me.
  • You can have it in any, and every, tank.
  • It is a floater, so it isn't CO2 limited, and if it is showing deficiency symptoms you know that it isn't carbon.
  • It doesn't care about the pH, or temperature, of the water.
  • It will grow over a wide range of nutrient levels and you can use it for the "Duckweed Index".
  • It isn't always available via shops, and you can give it away on forums, sell it on Ebay or exchange it at your LFS.
  • It has great roots.
cheers Darrel

I struggle with frogbit it never grows well for me even though other plants in the same tank are growing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All crypts, anubias, java ferns, small nymphaea's, bolbitis heudelotii, lomariopsis cf lineata, aponogeton sp, potamogeton sp, Echinodorus sp. some nympoides sp, salvinia, hygroriza arista actualy all that floats.. Why? Just because they can be beautifull with little effort.

Rather a list, can't deside which i like best, so actualy i do not have a particular favorite. I have multiple plant disorder syndrome.. :)

Salvinia natans. After redecorating my tank I have only some microsorum as submerged plants, and lots of floating plants, mainly salvinia.

The floating plants give a really nice look for an open-top aquarium, and provide healthy growth with all the benefits when fertilised properly.

Najas guadalupensis for me. It's nice and bushy but due to its fine leaves doesn't block out the light much. My shrimps also love it. I'd also say monosolenium tenerum as it needs virtually no care.

Also agree with zozo and Hygrorhyza aristata for on top. It's a great unusual floater and such a unique and beautiful shape. I'll also add aponogeton crispis while I'm here for larger tanks with a little more nutrients to fuel it's vigorous growth.

Heteranthera zosterifolia is the plant that actually thrives in my 30L dirted tank without co2 and i have to prune every week. Excellent fast grower for a low tech.

Hi
My firm favourite is Hygrophila araguaia.Slow compact grower adaptable to many conditions.I have it in play sand,gravel,soil with CO2 or without. Low light or high it just grows well.Not much pruning needed.You may not have the red colour of it low tech but is still nice plant when green reddish so not fussed about it
Regards Konsa

Nymphoides Taiwan has been a low-tech showstopper, but for me it has to be the (seemingly) indestructible crypt wendtii. I am always beyond amazed after pulling down a tank to see the extent of the root structure it sets up.

I think I bought a single crypt when I was 17 from P@H and it has (and always will) be throughout all of my tanks...

I would also like to try frogbit but not sure of a reliable source to get this from?

Reayman

Sagittaria Subulata; even the 'needle' sp, have grown really well for me in low tech - well, at least dirted tanks.

Back