• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leaking Up-Aqua Inline Atomizer

Hi guys, I have searched the forum and can see there are a lot of issues with the "new style" (replaceable diffuser) Up-Aqua inline atomizers.

Mine seems to be leaking from the top pipe connector as highlighted in the photo below, I have two units with leaks in the exact same location, can I use thread tape or something on the inside thread to try plug the leak?

Any experience in fixing these would be great.

IMG_5411.jpg

I used a fair amount of PTFE Gas Tape to fix the one I have. Doesn't leak anymore!

Thanks, did you basically wrap this whole thread section with the gas tape??
5azu7y7u-jpg.jpg

Yup, sure did. Make sure you wind the tape in the correct direction so when you put it all back together the tape doesn't unwind and get chewed up.

Cheers, good tip! seems like I need to wind the tape on clockwise.

Thread tape didnt work for me, ended up cracking the body, perhaps the bottom thread / nut thing didn't need tape...

IMG_5414.jpg

Yes some ppl have recommended Selleys araldite 2 part epoxies, I have a few spares but if they all start to leak I will glue them shut... seems cleaning them isnt really ideal as they never seem to get a good factory seal once opened for cleaning

From the pic, there is an o-ring. Generally it should do the job. But I've seen some o-ring related problems in Chinese equipments such as an Atman external pump (advertised as can be used out of water) and an air regulator. The problem is about a surface defect that I think it's called "mold line" which is excess material that forms a raised line on either the o-ring (the Atman pump) or the plastic area that pressed against the o-ring (the air regulator). A tight seal couldn't be created.

The pic below is the air regulator.

flash.jpg

I could fix the regulator by removing the line with a very sharp knife. But for the pump o-ring, I just made the leak problem worse :lol:.

Had a look at the cracked unit, you can just see some moulding marks on the unit tho they are very very fine and I dont think trying to remove them would improve anything, perhaps make the leaking worse, the washer looks seamless.

If I encounter any other leaky atomizers I will glue / seal them up.

IMG_5434.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

I taped the threads on both sides of mine also (leak was only from one side but I did both anyway to be sure), didn't anticipate yours would go any differently, sorry to hear yours split! The clear plastic on these things is so brittle it's unreal, all of mine have failed with pressure cracking to the body eventually. No idea why they use this clear brittle plastic (styrene?) and not an opaque ABS, it's not like being able to see through the body is going to tell you it's working or not at a glance, condensation is the only thing visible and that tells you nothing about how well the unit is operating at transferring the gas through the ceramic. Only reason I can see for the crap plastic is repeat sales through failure of the unit due to the crap plastic.

I'm on my third unit if that's any consolation!

I taped the threads on both sides of mine also (leak was only from one side but I did both anyway to be sure), didn't anticipate yours would go any differently, sorry to hear yours split! The clear plastic on these things is so brittle it's unreal, all of mine have failed with pressure cracking to the body eventually. No idea why they use this clear brittle plastic (styrene?) and not an opaque ABS, it's not like being able to see through the body is going to tell you it's working or not at a glance, condensation is the only thing visible and that tells you nothing about how well the unit is operating at transferring the gas through the ceramic. Only reason I can see for the crap plastic is repeat sales through failure of the unit due to the crap plastic.

All good, I was going the thread tape route before you replied. Agreed the materials used need a over-hall, I have read they are developing a new version, I have a few other units which are holding gas so will run with those for now.

How often do the atomisers need cleaning ?

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

Not to sure but I was just swapping the replaceable ceramic diffuser tube thing for a nice clean one each time I cleaned the filter, so once every 2 - 3 months. Dont think I will bother opening up these atomizers anymore as they dont seem to seal well once opened.

Not to sure but I was just swapping the replaceable ceramic diffuser tube thing for a nice clean one each time I cleaned the filter, so once every 2 - 3 months. Dont think I will bother opening up these atomizers anymore as they dont seem to seal well once opened.
Sounds like being proactive didn't pay off unfortunately for you.

Good to know off the potential problems before attempting to clean one.

LFS has some off the JBL inline atomisers in. Thick i might get one for backup just in case.

Not cleaned my UP atomiser or filter tubing since I got them in 2012.... Bubble counter still hits green/yellow at lights on so at the moment...no touchy..

Mind you bought a bargain set of JBL & ADA filter tube brushes from a UKAPS member, so should really get round to cleaning one day...

Not cleaned my UP atomiser or filter tubing since I got them in 2012.... Bubble counter still hits green/yellow at lights on so at the moment...no touchy..

Mind you bought a bargain set of JBL & ADA filter tube brushes from a UKAPS member, so should really get round to cleaning one day...
2012 nice, well i do have two up inline atomisers and as have have already mention to Ian_m I am contently only using one on my 500l tank and it reaches optimum pH via pH controller in the same time as two. So will just removed the second and keep it as a spare. Perhaps the higher BBS needed for a larger tank will help it keep clean too!

As a +1 on inline Up I installed an Aqua Up yesterday and after 3 minutes of successful flow one of the plastic seams cracked and separated as per the image. (Sorry image is so large)

Thankfully I was watching and cut the flow fast. Then when I was taking off the second bit of piping the other side cracked (for context I need help opening jam jars - I'm not strong.) The build quality on my Aqua up unit is questionable. The seller thinks it can be repaired with a replacement part - which now looking at the builds above I can see how. Not sure I feel good about trying these again to be honest.

IMG_0760.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    641.8 KB · Views: 166
As a +1 on inline Up I installed an Aqua Up yesterday and after 3 minutes of successful flow one of the plastic seams cracked and separated as per the image. (Sorry image is so large)

Thankfully I was watching and cut the flow fast. Then when I was taking off the second bit of piping the other side cracked (for context I need help opening jam jars - I'm not strong.) The build quality on my Aqua up unit is questionable. The seller thinks it can be repaired with a replacement part - which now looking at the builds above I can see how. Not sure I feel good about trying these again to be honest.

View attachment 106178

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Was trying to take of the piping and I broke it off like you did. Didn't even put that much force on it. Mine is not an official Up Aqua though.

19125264_10155367363658895_2109287385_o.jpg

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Was trying to take of the piping and I broke it off like you did. Didn't even put that much force on it. Mine is not an official Up Aqua though.

19125264_10155367363658895_2109287385_o.jpg

I'm not actually sure what the official one looks like - I probably don't have an original either? Bought it without doing too much checking. So much time spent mopping up water from a Vitsoe unit. Significant other hasn't quite forgiven me yet. :(

Back