• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White silica sand: Does it alter Ph?

No likely not, what it could do, what many poeple experience using silica based substrate like sand and gravel is a higher amount of diatom algae after startup. Having diatoms after startup is very common if not the case for everyone, this is a cycle you need to wait out. Diatoms are buildup with a silica exoskeleton. So having substrate leaching silica into the water column makes diatom very happy and mutliply like mad as long enough the silica is present. After all or majority, is consumed the diatoms will dissapear on their own again.. This can be weeks or months.. In my case it took me 6 months and during this time 2 x 50% weekly water change. Also mixed a silica gravel in the substrate..

But it does no harm.. It is wait and see.. Probably all substrates contain a certain ammount of silica that needs to leach out.. Because about everybody goes through this diatom cycle after the start up..

I know that ADA has a range of cosmetic sand, also you could try Unipac, I know a few of us have used their range with great results, me included.

Unipac Maui Fine sand...

NS11-MAUI-FINE-SAND-1.jpg

I know that ADA has a range of cosmetic sand, also you could try Unipac, I know a few of us have used their range with great results, me included.

Unipac Maui Fine sand...

NS11-MAUI-FINE-SAND-1.jpg
Cheers Tim. The sand I was looking at in the lfs was super fine, I mean it was like dust.
natural-white-silica-sand.jpg

From the videos, I have been watching about amazonian clear water habitat the sand is also very fine.

I quite like the Jbl sansibar range as a substrate, still quite fine but maybe not as powdery as the one in your pic. If you have any Corys or similar it'll probably alll end up in your filter

Karlie Flamingo has it, but in the Terrarium section..
http://www.flamingo.be/

Terrarium or aquarium doesn't make a difference, both are pet safe.. :) I used the Mojave dessert sand in fluidized sand bed filter for the aquarium. It is as dust, realy fine grained.

It is available in the UK also via Amazon i've seen it.. Also have a white sand..

I quite like the Jbl sansibar range as a substrate, still quite fine but maybe not as powdery as the one in your pic. If you have any Corys or similar it'll probably alll end up in your filter
Cheers Swordplay. Just had a look at the jbl range. The sand i Linked looks more like their
jbl snow.jpg

As I just mentioned to Tim above, The more I look at it the more unnatural it looks. Maybe i should look at the JBL Sansibar river sand?
jbl river sand.jpg

Karlie Flamingo has it, but in the Terrarium section..
http://www.flamingo.be/

Terrarium or aquarium doesn't make a difference, both are pet safe.. :) I used the Mojave dessert sand in fluidized sand bed filter for the aquarium. It is as dust, realy fine grained.

It is available in the UK also via Amazon i've seen it.. Also have a white sand..

Cheers zozo, that's a very cool contraption :)

JBL Sansibar, is very light, i read a lot of people complaining that it doesn't hold plants.. You would realy need to glue a rock to the roots if planted in the sand. I guess this goes for all realy fine graind sand. :)

JBL Sansibar, is very light, i read a lot of people complaining that it doesn't hold plants.. You would realy need to glue a rock to the roots if planted in the sand. I guess this goes for all realy fine graind sand. :)
It's for the non-planted area around a side planted island. Will be using ADA aqua soil Amazonia and ADA aqua soil powder for the planted area.

I seen a display tank today that had this jbl river bed in it today and ive ordered some for next week. I used very fine white sand in my setup as it was laying around... i wont recomend it. Anything that gets on it stands out it goes green and when you syphon it the lot goes up the hose. Ive now syphoned it out awaiting the jbl substrate. Also if your not careful its easy to strach the glass with it. As i did somehow. I was trying to be very careful aswel and it still happened. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I seen a display tank today that had this jbl river bed in it today and ive ordered some for next week. I used very fine white sand in my setup as it was laying around... i wont recomend it. Anything that gets on it stands out it goes green and when you syphon it the lot goes up the hose. Ive now syphoned it out awaiting the jbl substrate. Also if your not careful its easy to strach the glass with it. As i did somehow. I was trying to be very careful aswel and it still happened. Hope this helps

The JBL Sansibar river sand is "Graining: CA. 0.8" it's bigger than the stuff I was looking at but after a few guys have mentioned the problem with the real fine stuff. I'm leaning towards the JBL River now as well.

Still fine but not super fine that it will go up the syphon so easier to vac it

Back