• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Valvestino

Aristotelis

Hello,

I've been following and lurking this amazing forum since years but never been very active. Until now I had two tanks, one old and ugly second hand Rio 125 which with I started this whole adventure and one low tech 35l dennerle tank. Both gave me great satisfactions and learned and keep learning a lot. it never ends.
You can find some photos of those tanks here

The small low tech tank on RO water, gave me big satisfactions with the minimum maintenance. So I tried to convert the ugly Rio 125 to a low tech, but after so many years and extremely hard water, the tank or probably me, wouldn't collaborate any more. So I took the big decision and bought a proper custom made tank!
80x40x30h a shallow tank has always been my dream.
I want to make this tank low tech with lot's of hardscape in, so that in the end it becomes something like 60l of actual water, that eventually helps me with RO water changes and less maintenance

Here are some pics of my hardscape. My idea is to recreate something like the limit of river shore. The stones are collected close to an artificial lake near my house, called "Valvestino" and most of the wood is also collected.
Under the soil I have small lava rocks in big quantities
The soil, I couldn't find suggested soils in my country, so I went with some "Bonsai" soil that I could find in generous amounts at low price and I have already done a couple of experiments with dry starts on small plastic boxes, with great success.
Everything is topped with inert sand and very fine gravel.
The whole tank will be dry started, to create as big plant mass as possible before flooding.
Decent amounts of anubias nana, microsorum petite and some bucephalandra if I can get my hands on it.
Also rotala sp. colorata at the back and various cryptocorines that I don't remember right now.
I will try to do a semi-emersed Micranthemum sp. montecarlo here and here. In dry start it grows amazingly fast and it seems to stay still but happy, once immersed... will see.
Also will add lileopsis brasiliensis as a "carpet" on the lower right part that will propagate towards left but I will keep it sparse towards left.
There will be also emersed plants placed around and on top of the emersing wood.

Will it work? I hope so, this is my first real attempt on something properly designed and thought after.
My first lesson is that you need TONS of hardscape material to make something proper with good detail. That's the first secret to learn. If you don't have "the money", go out and search and get stones and wood.

Any feedback on the scape and low tech plants suggestions, is greatly appreciated.

p.s. Sorry but my photograph skills are terrible.

valvestino4.JPG
valvestino7.JPG
valvestino8.JPG
valvestino9.JPG

I like the placement of rocks, pebbles, and woods. Viewing from the front (the 1st pic) it looks good and natural (uncontrived). The front substrate is a bit too thick to me.

Thank you guys for the kind comments!
The front is about 6cm high. Do you think I should lower it even more? And should I lower the sand cap or the soil underneath, or both?

thanks again!

Thank you guys for the kind comments!
The front is about 6cm high. Do you think I should lower it even more? And should I lower the sand cap or the soil underneath, or both?

thanks again!

I'd leave it. You wanted a shallow tank and this helps. Really like that steep wall on the right closer to the front glass and the room behind it. Too many people push it all the way to the back. Keep breaking the rules, you have an eye for it!

Hi, nice tank size and hardscape. You could lower the soil and the sand cap in the front to approx 4cm.

The placement of the upper triangular stone that is 'on' the roots can be improved too. ;)

Thank you again!
@CooKieS I agree on that upper triangular stone, as a matter of fact it is absent on the other photos. Still thinking if I should break it and place it, or leave it without...

Last edited:
Dry start, day 1.
Out go all of the wood as I wouldn't be able to close the tank with the transparent lid.
In go the first batch of the plants.
There are some plants that might seem totally strange to you like the bright red one at the front right side or the big microsorum like with small leaves. Those are totally alien to me too, I found them on some rocks in the nature with practically no roots. So I got them and hopefully they will work on the emersed part of the scape later on. I'll see if they will manage to survive in the humid ambient of the dry start, it will be a good indicator.
There's also a small rock placed on top of the right side, don't worry it's there only for the small amount of moss I had on it, hopefully the moss will propagate enough so I can cut it and place it around.

Next step, order some easy low tech friendly moss and start putting it on some of the roots and place them inside the tank.
Any suggestions for low tech moss greatly appreciated. I've heard peacock moss is very good for low tech.

Thanks again for your kind comments, I'll try to update once a week.

valvestino_day1_1.JPG
valvestino_day1_2.JPG
valvestino_day1_3.JPG
valvestino_day1_4.JPG

A week after, not much to report. Not much growth, some yellowing but everything looks good. In my experience, second week should be more interesting
Also, I have ordered some bucephalandras and mosses so hopefully next week I'll have something better to post.

e3cc5ddba892aede23c3924a9c77b3c8.jpg
777f455ee3a7854ff3618d61309ee7b9.jpg
bb9ba607771621cf6ed62d717e847dc9.jpg
06d2c266d1dbb40ac634dadd05e2a7bf.jpg

Hi all,
There are some plants that might seem totally strange to you like the bright red one at the front right side or the big microsorum like with small leaves. Those are totally alien to me too, I found them on some rocks in the nature with practically no roots. So I got them and hopefully they will work on the emersed part of the scape later on.
The fern is <"Asplenium trichomanes"> and the red leaved plant <"Geranium robertianum">, they both prefer drier conditions, but are quite adaptable.

cheers Darrel

Wow! I bow before your amazing knowledge!

Considering they will stay emersed and under the light, do you thing they will manage?
I hope so, they look very "wildly beautiful" and natural to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long time no updates... sorry about that
Tank is now filled and looking good. Will update with more pictures in the following weeks

IMG_1600.jpg

Awesome tank :)

I missed this earlier, really like the style

Is water wood-stained or is the lamp that yellow - or both?

Any livestock?

Thanks!
The water is stained by the bonsai soil that I've used. I didn't washed it well before filling the tank. It could go away very fast if I put some carbon or the other great filter media that I can't remember the name... but I kinda like it and the fishes also seem to enjoy it with very vivid colours so for now I just let it as it is.

Livestock is about 10 rasbora galaxy (yes I know they are not called like this anymore, but can't remember the exact new name), 5 otocinclus afinis and 5 amano shrimps. You can probably see 3 trigonostigma but they are here temporary from another tank. They will go back there soon. I also want to add some red cherries and that's it.

galaxy rasbora is still used - unless you go with the Latin name - it's as good as any other "common" name :)

Back