• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nutirent Deficiency?

TJordan1988

Seedling
Hi all, im hoping there is someone put there that can help me with my issue. As you can see in the picture my AR has markings on the leaves. Is this consistent with some sort of nutrient deficiency?

Attachments

• 20170509_192129.jpg
    20170509_192129.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 283
Abit about my tank,

First attempt at running a high tech setup. Its a Juwel Rio 125 with a fluval 306 canister filter.

Lighting - 4x juwel t5ho (2x tubes were retro fitted to cover flaps) = 3wpg

Ei dosing (from aquariumplantfood.com) ive subtracted the magnesium sulfate from the recipe as were have moderately hard water from tap 10gkh. It seems that the recipe is quite heavy on the magnesium sulfate, 6 teaspoons per 500ml mix.

Substrate is eco complete with root tabs.

Pressurised Co2 supplied by a fire extinguisher/dual stage regulator. Co2 is diffused into the tank via an atomiser. Drop checker shows lime green.

Ei dosing (from aquariumplantfood.com) ive subtracted the magnesium sulfate from the recipe as were have moderately hard water from tap 10gkh. It seems that the recipe is quite heavy on the magnesium sulfate, 6 teaspoons per 500ml mix.

It seems much. But only 9.86% of Epsom salt is magnesium, most of the rest is water and SO4. According to https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php, if you dump the whole 6 tsps of Epsom salt into you 125l tank at once, it will add 5.57 dGH, which is probably not much in reality if you factor in how long it takes for you to finish a 500 ml of the fert.

But anyway, the picture doesn't look like magnesium deficiency. It looks more like mechanical damage to me.

have you tested your tap water or are you going off a water quality report from the supplier?

Intresting Xim, you mean from the live stock? Dan i havent yet tested my tap water for kh. I have been using the suppliers report as reference.

Please do not invent your own variation on EI dosing, I have seen this time and time again on UKAPS. EI was invented so that there would be guaranteed no nutrient deficiencies and no need to perform any water testing. As you see inventing your own dosing leads to nutrient deficiency.:banghead:

Looks very much like magnesium deficiency. As you are UK based, I very very very very very very very much doubt you would have any magnesium in your water, though there are a few areas. Most of UK water is from carboniferous sources thus is hardened by calcium carbonate and not any magnesium source.

Ignore your water company report, which is not the same as your tap water. Dose as Magnesium Sulphate/Epsom salts. It is cheap, 25Kg can be got for £15 in garden centres, available in most chemists and used as an exfoliator and foot soak.

Mg deficiency symptoms can appear similar to iron, pale/white/yellow leaves. In fact Mg deficiency can prevent uptake of iron, leading you down the path of thinking you have iron deficiency. If Mg is added leaves will generally recover as unlike iron Mg is mobile in the plant.

Thanks Ian, ive already got the magnesium sulphate it came with the starter kit. Its seems that growth has improved since i removed the magnesium sulphate, my light, c02 and flow have stayed the same.

I was under the impression that excess magnesium can prevent the uptake of iron in plants?

Hi all,
Is this consistent with some sort of nutrient deficiency?
But anyway, the picture doesn't look like magnesium deficiency. It looks more like mechanical damage to me.
I agree with "@xim", it looks like mechanical damage for me as well.

Have a look at <"is it deficiency?">
Ei dosing (from aquariumplantfood.com) ive subtracted the magnesium sulfate from the recipe as were have moderately hard water from tap 10gkh.
Most of UK water is from carboniferous sources thus is hardened by calcium carbonate and not any magnesium source.
"@Ian_m" is right it will probably all be calcium, you are unlikely to have much magnesium in your tap supply in most of the UK . It is to do with the environment in which the <"limestones, that form most of our aquifers",> were laid down in.
Mg deficiency symptoms can appear similar to iron, pale/white/yellow leaves. In fact Mg deficiency can prevent uptake of iron, leading you down the path of thinking you have iron deficiency. If Mg is added leaves will generally recover as unlike iron Mg is mobile in the plant.
I was under the impression that excess magnesium can prevent the uptake of iron in plants?
You can get soils which are both alkaline and base rich, but will grow heathers etc if that base is <"magnesium rather than calcium">. It is more that high calcium levels interfere with the uptake of both iron (Fe+++) and magnesium (Mg++) ions.

Have a look at <"Help! plant ......">

cheers Darrel

Back