• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano NatureScape

@alto thanks...nice to know you think it has tension.
@dean thanks dean, the rock is Grey Pillar Rock, aka, Seiryu Stone, aka Mini Landscape Rock...only some of the pieces ain't that mini.
@Mannic05 thanks, I enjoy scaping with it, it has so many facets; almost infinite combinations.
@Ryan Thang To Hey Ryan, no worries there, it's all wedged in.

Tim, what do you have around the bottom of the tanks. Looks really good and would like to get one. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chomping at the bit to get this started...but I have to wait for some bits to come from Hong Kong. I would have preferred to source them locally; I didn't really look hard enough and have since found them from one of our sponsors...D'oh!

Anyway, I had a mini rescape the other night and removed some of the wood added a couple of rocks and another half litre of substrate.
Not sure I like it any better, it's lost some of tension, but I think it's a little more harmonious for it. And the unbroken path up the right hand side gives the scape a little more depth and perspective.
Some of the rock and wood elements have been hidden a bit by the additional sand but once the tank is filled with water the sand should settle and reveal them again.

I've pretty much decided to re-use as many of the plants from Windswept as possible with a few additions:

HC Cuba,
Crypt wendtii Kompakt,
mosses, Christmas and fissidens
mini pellia,
stauro,
ludwigia sp Mini Super Red,
Rotala rotundifolia,
Anubias nana Pangolino,
Buces, Black Phantom, Mini Needle Leaf, and mini coin.

34197635142_be04c8b216_c.jpg

33971642550_6e5a628fa4_c.jpg

Hi Tim
Love the tank....nice rock work!
The piece of Manzy wood resting on the substrate I would remove it....or wedge it in between the two limbs above!.....;)
Catches my eye line too much!.....:watching::nailbiting:
hoggie

Also, looking great, now i see what you mean with Tension.. This type of rock and wood go very well together and are eqauly dominating. For a lot of us the most difficult aquascaping using both and still make it fit harmoniously. What type of rock is this?

@hogan53 Thanks, the piece at the front?
@Mannic05 It's a SuperFish heater, very small. I've since found an even smaller black one; wish bought that instead.
That's the problem scaping a nano, there isn't that much space as it is, without equipment.
@zozo Thanks Marcel, the rock is Grey Pillar Rock, aka, Seiryu Stone, aka Mini Landscape Rock and the wood is Manzi.

I've just had another play with the scape and removed some of the sand, it was too smothering and blunted some of the edges a little too much, I'll live with it a while and see how it goes I can always return it to the original later.

33972888230_5a3d47aff3_c.jpg

33972887020_d6aa4f3fc1_c.jpg

Number 1 :) still my favorite tension or not. :D

But then i try to picture it with the top rock replaced by a piece of wood (the trees trunk) with some emersed growth. That would make sense to me and make it obvious where all those submersed roots come from. But that's easy to say, if you do not have to go and look and search for that piece of wood fitting and making the most sense.

Can't help it, since my reentree i'm just completely hooked on scapes with emersed parts.. If it hasn't it's missing something.. Never mind.. :rolleyes:

It's like Billy Aquarium..

Last edited:
Thought I'd post a couple of pics of the final hardscape for the sake of journal continuity.

I've taken out some more wood, jiggled a few rocks around and played with the sand a little more.
I must be quite happy with the result as I haven't been tempted to touch it for a while, and I now have space for the planting I envisaged:)

Good news, the pieces I needed have arrived from HK, including a miniature pollen glass diffuser; wish I could find a similar sized drop checker - the smallest I can find is still about 4cm. I did have one that was only 2.5cm but I smashed it accidentally:meh:

I'm just waiting for a few plant deliveries, and then I can scape, namely Bucephalandra "Mini Coin", Bucephalandra "Black Phantom", and Riccardia chamedrifolia.

34184806520_92327e4f41_c.jpg

34440244101_6cd119a7c7_c.jpg

34408708062_c648ce6271_c.jpg

Thanks @tim and @Mannic05...gona' get planting as soon as those buces arrive.

The diffuser was from aquahk-uk eBay. But something very similar is available from Aquarium Gardens one of our excellent sponsors http://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/pollen-glass-co2-diffuser-for-aquarium-up-to-150l-1178-p.asp. I'd have got it from them if I'd known.

Just taken delivery of the Riccardia chamedrifolia...can't believe my luck - 99p off eBay, an embarrassing amount:)

34573755755_ef613e6bd3_c.jpg

Quite the find! very jelous! i still manage to kill it every time i try to grow this. No idea why, i seem to grow more difficult plants just fine...

It does ok for me, but it's relatively slow growing and tends to get swamped by faster growing mosses, I think it also tends to do better in brighter areas of the tank.

Back