• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Looking good :):thumbup: HP seems in shape :) don't forget to trim the Cuba though; the thicker it gets , higher the risk to detach from the substrate ; no to mention the mess trapped under those beautiful tiny leaves

Thanks! I trim every 2 weeks or so :)

you're motivated ;) and you'd better be because it's time consuming ; you could grow it emersed, you know, at the water line: cut a little patch during a trimming session and attach by whatever means you fancy to one of the emerging branches; when partially emersed it's even more beautiful :) and no more trimming headaches, almost

you're motivated ;) and you'd better be because it's time consuming ; you could grow it emersed, you know, at the water line: cut a little patch during a trimming session and attach by whatever means you fancy to one of the emerging branches; when partially emersed it's even more beautiful :) and no more trimming headaches, almost

Thats actually a really cool idea. However tried growing HP at Waterline and it got toasted by the light /: so lost a bit of faith in emersed for this setup. My long term goal for the setup is to cover the root in as much fissidens as possible - but it's a very slow process S:

Yes, I know the feeling; I got "toasted" too with trying to grow HP emersed, but Cuba it's an entirely different story, it's actually the natural condition of this plant in the wild

p1150712.jpg

Yes, I know the feeling; I got "toasted" too with trying to grow HP emersed, but Cuba it's an entirely different story, it's actually the natural condition of this plant in the wild

p1150712.jpg

Looks amazing. How did you attach it?

Well , truth be told, I didn't :) when I started this RIO 300, I kept the internal filter and I bought a Juwel Filter Cover - this one: https://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Products/Decoration/Cliff-Dark/Cliff-Dark-filter-cover/ - and I planted Cuba in the substrate, like any "serious" hobbist :) in time, after several trimming sessions, some leaves must have gotten between the filter and the cover which didn't fit tightly and I saw a patch of "lawn" growing emersed; the growth was amazing and then I started to experiment with different plants which I planted in this "lawn" of Cuba ; that's how I got Polygonum Sao Paolo, Bacopa ( explosive growth , really ; it grew even faster than Cuba, absolutely amazing, I had to trim it even more often than in it's submerged form to avoid "suffocation" of the "mother lawn " :lol: ) Ranunculus inundatus and Eleocharis growing emersed
This was my " Wabi Kusa " at it's peak, before pulling the cord; now that I speak of it I realise that I miss it :arghh:

p1160117.jpg

Well , truth be told, I didn't :) when I started this RIO 300, I kept the internal filter and I bought a Juwel Filter Cover - this one: https://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Products/Decoration/Cliff-Dark/Cliff-Dark-filter-cover/ - and I planted Cuba in the substrate, like any "serious" hobbist :) in time, after several trimming sessions, some leaves must have gotten between the filter and the cover which didn't fit tightly and I saw a patch of "lawn" growing emersed; the growth was amazing and then I started to experiment with different plants which I planted in this "lawn" of Cuba ; that's how I got Polygonum Sao Paolo, Bacopa ( explosive growth , really ; it grew even faster than Cuba, absolutely amazing, I had to trim it even more often than in it's submerged form to avoid "suffocation" of the "mother lawn " :lol: ) Ranunculus inundatus and Eleocharis growing emersed
This was my " Wabi Kusa " at it's peak, before pulling the cord; now that I speak of it I realise that I miss it :arghh:

p1160117.jpg

Will definitely try that out and see if it makes "sense" im my scape :D

Tank is doing great :)

Don't Forget to trim the fissidens once a month or sooner to force it to grow compact and small ;)

Everything been mostly great - might have waited a bit to long with HC trim, but did a major cut down and i seems to be bouncing back nicely. still getting a bit of BBA on hardscape and some of the plants from time to time, but nothing major.

Been having some trouble with the inline diffuser from UP since refilling the CO2 bottle since it now seems to be producing larger bubbles now insted of the mist like appearance previously - and I've been trying to tighten every connection on the tube, and turning the CO2 up and down, but nothing seems to help?

thankfully both PH and drop checker still seems to be responding within desired levels.

added some more Buces ("Deep Purple" and "Brown/red", but as usual they seem to be melting away for now, so hopefully they will bounce back in time.

P1010159.JPG

P1010160.JPG

Really loving the Fissidens:
P1010161.JPG

Looks good, what level is your light on now? I had to reduce my 60cm A-series plus down to level 4/7 as I was getting BBA on the wood closer to the light, the light is also fully extended to the max height of the wire stand supplied, about 25 cm above the water.

I really like the bit of Pinna poking out of the water on the tallest driftwood.

Looks good, what level is your light on now? I had to reduce my 60cm A-series plus down to level 4/7 as I was getting BBA on the wood closer to the light, the light is also fully extended to the max height of the wire stand supplied, about 25 cm above the water.

I really like the bit of Pinna poking out of the water on the tallest driftwood.

Thank you! Im really pleased with it also, although it took some time for the plant to adjust to life at the surface.

I'm currently running the lights at 5/7 for about 10 hours. In my experience the BBA is more apparent in areas with bad flow. Adding a skimmer/powerhead to increase flow really helped on the BBA in my tank

Thank you! Im really pleased with it also, although it took some time for the plant to adjust to life at the surface.

I'm currently running the lights at 5/7 for about 10 hours. In my experience the BBA is more apparent in areas with bad flow. Adding a skimmer/powerhead to increase flow really helped on the BBA in my tank

Cheers for the info, forgot to mention im only running the light for 5 hours, interestingly I am experiencing BBA where the flow is the strongest right in the path of the outlet from the filter! BBA seems to be subsiding and was probably introduced with plants and not really grown in my tank.

I had this BBA near the filter outlet in the strong flow. I found lifting the lilly pipe a little to make more surface agitation, higher oxigenation of the water flow solved the BBA problem.
Added flow from the skimmer will create higher oxigenation of the water too.

I had this BBA near the filter outlet in the strong flow. I found lifting the lilly pipe a little to make more surface agitation, higher oxigenation of the water flow solved the BBA problem.
Added flow from the skimmer will create higher oxigenation of the water too.

Thanks that might be the explanation :D

Back