• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dou's Various Tanks (ADA 60P, Do!Aqua MiniM+Cube, 90x30x36, etc.)

I stood in the middle too.

I'm jealous you got to go to Niigata, it was just too awkward for me. Only being open on Sunday and being in the middle of nowhere made it hard.

Did you buy any tank equipment in Japan ?

LOL what's wrong with us?! Yeah it was not easy... we went from Kyoto -> Tokyo -> Niigata -> Bus -> Walk 40 mins... it was exhausting but completely worth it. You should've definitely gone... well too late now... x) Next time though! I didn't end up buying anything as everything was basically priced the same. I wish I could've brought back plants/wood though =(... I was looking for a SuperJet Filter but I didnt end up in any shops (could only drag my GF to so many places haha).

LOL what's wrong with us?! Yeah it was not easy... we went from Kyoto -> Tokyo -> Niigata -> Bus -> Walk 40 mins... it was exhausting but completely worth it. You should've definitely gone... well too late now... x) Next time though! I didn't end up buying anything as everything was basically priced the same. I wish I could've brought back plants/wood though =(... I was looking for a SuperJet Filter but I didnt end up in any shops (could only drag my GF to so many places haha).

I'm surprised you found prices to be similar to Canada. Prices were much cheaper compared to Australia. For example the ADA diffuser I bought there was $60 and it's $85 in Australia. Did you check out Aqua Forest shop near skytree ?

I'm surprised you found prices to be similar to Canada. Prices were much cheaper compared to Australia. For example the ADA diffuser I bought there was $60 and it's $85 in Australia. Did you check out Aqua Forest shop near skytree ?

Canadian dollar is super weak =(.... Yes we did go there but the one in Shinjuku was larger. Actually the really nice aquarium shops (Aqua Tailors) and another place (can't remember the name) was in Osaka but I already dragged Vivian to many places... so we didn't visit those. I am still on the hunt for an ADA SOLAR MINI M light...

One of very many updates to come. My 75cm tank is going to be my first IAPLC entry this year - I have put together a collage of some of all the changes I've done to it (with very many omissions). My method has been kind of backwards - many people set up the hardscape first and then adjust planting... but for me, I've continually kicked up mud to get the right look and feel. The main learning point for me was that being able to use all levels of the tank really distinguishes between a tank I like and a tank I REALLY like. This tank was more like a hardscape explorative adventure - whereas my 90cm was like a plant growing explorative experience. I have adjusted this tank 2 more times since these photos, and am now waiting for the rest of the changes to settle in/grow. You can kind of see how and where I changed my mind - with the very last photo being from when I came back from Japan (after my realization about using all levels of the tank). These last few steps I've made is a huge difference.... a huge huge difference. I would really love to share but I want to keep it as a bit of a surprise!

NmmRoEp.jpg

A lot has changed on the tank at work - with the most obvious being the removal of a large portion of moss on the spider wood branches. This was primarily due to a mishap - a 12 day long 24/7 light period type. I should've taken a photo of what happened, but was really discouraged and did not even want to document it. After 3-4 weeks of manual algae removal (including affected plants) & re-balancing - it's finally clean and balanced again! Some learning points for those interested:
- Brown diatom/slime can be directly attributed to too much light + nutrients. I always had a feeling it was because of this and finally got to (involuntarily) prove/test it.
- Hygro Pinnitifida can grow without being planted... but died off completely once there was too much light. It was actually doing super well =(...
- Regardless of how often people say that they don't do water changes, I found that more frequent water changes definitely make a huge difference in tank cleanliness. In other words, keep up with your water changes!
- My experience with rasbora has always lead me to think they are extremely shy, however in this tank they are ALWAYS swarming the top when someone comes close by (presumably for food). Fish that get used to the shadows don't freak out so much and seem to enjoy a human presence.

JG4oa3Z.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely tank. What is the dark green fern/cedar looking type plant in the background / upper left quadrant (by the black intake)?

That's Bolbitis Heundelotti (can't spell) - and that's a heater haha! It's my favourite plant - uses up a ton of space, blocks a ton of light and very fern-like.

That's Bolbitis Heundelotti (can't spell) - and that's a heater haha! It's my favourite plant - uses up a ton of space, blocks a ton of light and very fern-like.

Really...wow! The leaf structure doesn't quite look like what I've seen in pictures (yours looks nicer). I love the deep green to it. How big does it get and is it trimming friendly (i.e. doesn't look messed up or not grow back properly if you trim it)? I feel like my new 60p setup needs something else and really like the look of that plant. It'd probably be mixed in between some microsorum pteropus "narrow" so wouldn't want it to take over the scape.

...lol @ the heater. Don't know why my brain saw it as an intake. oops :)

Really...wow! The leaf structure doesn't quite look like what I've seen in pictures (yours looks nicer). I love the deep green to it. How big does it get and is it trimming friendly (i.e. doesn't look messed up or not grow back properly if you trim it)? I feel like my new 60p setup needs something else and really like the look of that plant. It'd probably be mixed in between some microsorum pteropus "narrow" so wouldn't want it to take over the scape.

...lol @ the heater. Don't know why my brain saw it as an intake. oops :)

They're super easy to maintain, and it kinda grows drooping downwards. If you have strong lighting it stays a little smaller but with weaker lighting it reaches for the top and grows larger. It grows back nicely but if I were to trim I'd try to cut as low as possible or you'll end up with like short stalks here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated photo of my 60P now in the living room - still working on how to make this look more natural. This is a tank that I am expecting to run for at least 2 years. I definitely want to add shrimp, but not sure what type yet... Anyone have suggestions on a colour that would complement and look natural in this tank? Either Jade Green or Wild Type Neocaridina I am thinking. Am considering adding about 12-18 pygmy cories to add some life to the bottom area of the tank... but not sure if its too much. There's about 50-60 3-spot/sparrow rasbora in there right now, 7 otocats and about 6-7 pygmy cories I think. Feedback always welcome!

ALslZ9a.jpg

Nice tank, I think that some small patches of mini pellia (riccardia) on that big front Wood would look more natural. ;)

Nice tank, I think that some small patches of mini pellia (riccardia) on that big front Wood would look more natural. ;)

I actually wanted to give off an edge of the beach feel with this tank... with the wood being bleached of life by the sun (so no plants are growing on it). I do think I need to figure out a way to make it more "aged" looking though.

Looks good, lovely bit of wood! If you can perhaps shift the wood another inch to the left, almost looks to centred to my eye. You are stocking a fair few tiny fish in the 60p, what kind of filter do you run?

Looks good, lovely bit of wood! If you can perhaps shift the wood another inch to the left, almost looks to centred to my eye. You are stocking a fair few tiny fish in the 60p, what kind of filter do you run?
Noted! I'll try and see if that works for me or not. I'm running an Eheim 250 Classic (or 2215?)

Also... I had a visit from @Dan Crawford today! Thank you for taking time out of your vacation to come and share some of your experiences. Most importantly... thank you for the UKAPS towel hahah! Photo taken on top of the tank I am preparing for IAPLC 2018 =).

kDAgQI6.jpg

Last edited:
Back