• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monte Carlo or Cuba?

Richard Swales

Seedling
Hi,

I am going to be setting up my first Iwagumi and I am wanting a relatively easy to grow and care for carpet. I like the look of the Monte Carlo and Cuba but can't decide which one to go for...

I think I prefer the look of the Cuba but I keep reading that it is hard to grow and care for so I am thinking Monte Carlo.

For reference my setup is going to be:

72 litre tank - 40cm deep
Ehiem Ecco Pro 130 External Filter
AquaEl Leddy Slim Plant 10w
Pressurised C02 system (not decided which one yet but maybe a small disposable one with low bubble count)
ADA Amazonia Substrate

and I will be dosing Seachem Flourish excel

Based on that will Cuba be compatible? Or shall I stick to the Monte Carlo?

Thanks
Richard

Last edited:
Why dose excel if you use a pressurised co2 system? My first iwagumi has monte carlo and dhg mini and the monte carlo is really easy to grow. It grows faster so best to give it a trim every week to avoid dieing off/floating. It grows faster so less chance of algae covering it, which is more likely with HC. I would say monte carlo if you don't mind a trim every week (maybe every two weeks).

Btw you can mix carpet plants for a more 'natural' look ,although long term the fastest grower will take over.

A very basic rule says you will need 0,5 watt per litre for monte carlo and 1 watt per litre for hc. This is a really bad rule and PAR is much better. This info is hard to get so you could use the basic rule for a start. Lumens also gives you an idea but not really accurate. Monte carlo around 20-30 lumens per litre and HC around 40 lumens per litre. But 10 watt seems really low for a 72 litre tank. I don't even know if you can grow monte carlo with that. HC is not really possible I guess... I removed the build in LED in my super fish home 25 and bought a cheap desk lamp and a cheap 6500k bulb. My monte carlo grows like weed. I am sure you could cover you tank with like 2 desk lamps and some good bulbs. Just look for 6500k CRI 80+ prefered 90. Get like two 1000 lumens bulb and you will grow monte carlo fine. The advantage of a desk lamp is you can easily swap bulbs. For example if you have algae just get a lower bulb or raise the height of the lamp. If the plants don't grow you just lower the height or buy a higher bulb.

Last edited:
Right I see, I do want to avoid algae so Monte Carlo sounds like my better option..

Great advice on the lights too. I will have to review my options and have another look at them

Thanks again!

I also think that the light is to low for the tanksize. I also have the Aquael plant LED light on my 30 Ltr Nano and also growing MC, it is growing but that is also it. I'm running it whiteout co2, but in my other tank which also low tech it grows better under an 18 watt Dennerle PL light.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

Back