• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cliff & Plateau

Just pushed the cabinet into it's final location in the living room and gave it a try with my new camera.

DSC00515.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

Looks great.
One suggestion for photography - get a polarizing filter to get rid of reflections on the tank.

Thanks. You are right. For a while I thought I just photoshop the glare out but after watching a tutorial on YouTube, that takes way too long. Do you have any suggestions? The filter diameter is 62mm. Hoya seems to be the go-to filter brand for many, but are they really decent?

Hi,

I really like the dimensions of the tank. They really jumped into my eye sitting on that nice stand. Could you give me the exact dimensions ? ;)

The tank is 90cm x 30cm x 30cm. I thought about getting a custom made tank but didn't want to wait so long. After all I could have ordered one because everything else took for ever to get in. In a perfect world I'll have a 180cm long x 30cm high x 70 cm deep tank. Shallow, a lot of length to cover for the fish and a lot of depth for 3 if not 4 plains.

Thanks. You are right. For a while I thought I just photoshop the glare out but after watching a tutorial on YouTube, that takes way too long. Do you have any suggestions? The filter diameter is 62mm. Hoya seems to be the go-to filter brand for many, but are they really decent?

I think you can't go wrong with Hoya. I have one myself and had no issues. I also had smaller diameter Hama polarizing filter and it was ok as well.

Equipment looks great, the rocks to me tho are just a bit, well boring, I would take to them with a hammer / chisel or grinder and create some detail and add some smaller stones

Equipment looks great, the rocks to me tho are just a bit, well boring, I would take to them with a hammer / chisel or grinder and create some detail and add some smaller stones

I'm not set regarding the scape yet. My original idea is a few large stones with small fish that reassembles large cliffs, the one you would see on Hawaii or in the Red Sea.

I do have a bunch of small stones too, which I'll be partly using in the second / refugee tank:

Img_2961.jpg

This is what inspired me. Yep that's the set from the old oo7 movie 'The Man with the Golden Gun' in Phang Nga Bay.

yushhiysya-v-serii-Muzhchina-s-zolotyim-pistoletom.jpg

Last edited:
Have a look at Escarpment aquascape by The Green Machine. I like the later version of it without the wood even more.
Looking forward to seeing what you'll create.

I have seen that page a while ago when I was reading up everything I could find from TGM but I haven't noticed the modification. I agree, the final version looks much better with the open area to the right. It offers both depth and space.

Since my tank is on the longer side of things, I might change my scape plans to something like this:

TGM-Continuity-Aquascape-by-James-Findley-34-1100x500.jpg

I have over 50 liters of Power Sand and ADA powder here, and plenty of stones. I could easily stock my tank with that much scape.

But I'm not a fan of moss. As far as I know, once you have this introduced to your tank, you won't get it out again unless you start over. And my SAN SUI stone was to expensive to be covered in green IMO.

Nice equipment you got there, love your tank dimension:)

Thank you Vivian!

Well the replacement for that sad JBJ tank arrived. So much better quality.

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

JBJ on the right, the Ultum Nature System tank to the left, doh.

DSC00531.jpg

...and my Reverse Osmosis System from BulkReefSupply arrived. Man I love those guys at BRS! Perfect everything, from service, quality items, shop, packing and shipping.

DSC00536.jpg

Last edited:
Just placed more orders including the ADA Stainless Steel skimmer. Thought about the cheaper Eheim 350 skimmer but that thing is too much of an eye sore.

1_00.jpg

And while I'm at it, I updated the parts list. With the backup / refugium tank I'll be past $6k. That's getting close to the original reef tank I had planned.

Image1.png

Hi,

holy, you're planning to spend a lot of money for that tank. I am Building a 128 l one for about 650 € ;) But buying budget were I can. Are rummynoses really that expensive for you? In Germany, they are sold for about 4 - 7 €, depending on the supplier. But over all it's fine, if I would have the money, I guess spending 5,3 k on the tank would be a pleasure for me ;)

Generally speaking, I would tend to use mosses. They give a great feel in layouts as you plan it. And you can get rid of them. Just tie them to the woods instead of glueing and your fine. Once you want to get rid of them, remove the stone, give it an intense scrub and it's done.
The only really important thing is the trimming. Make 100 % sure, that there are not leftover snippings, as they will float around the tank and settle where you don't want them to be.

Hi,

holy, you're planning to spend a lot of money for that tank. I am Building a 128 l one for about 650 € ;) But buying budget were I can. Are rummynoses really that expensive for you? In Germany, they are sold for about 4 - 7 €, depending on the supplier. But over all it's fine, if I would have the money, I guess spending 5,3 k on the tank would be a pleasure for me ;)

Generally speaking, I would tend to use mosses. They give a great feel in layouts as you plan it. And you can get rid of them. Just tie them to the woods instead of glueing and your fine. Once you want to get rid of them, remove the stone, give it an intense scrub and it's done.
The only really important thing is the trimming. Make 100 % sure, that there are not leftover snippings, as they will float around the tank and settle where you don't want them to be.

I just bookmarked your build. I'm sure I'll build a "budget" tank at some point too. I like extremes, either high quality and the best I can do, or value based with lots of DYIs.

The fish is not "Rummy Nose Tetras". Talking about Germany, are you German? Sag das doch gleich! :D What I want is called "Rummynose Rasbora". They are rather hard to find. This is how they look like:

6cf14b6f7787e8b00573df1c44166e2c.jpg

Moss trimmings are exactly what I'm scared off. I read several times that people didn't get the moss out ever again. I have to think about that.

Thats some crazy money on a fish tank, I tend to try do everything on the cheap, I have 5 fish tanks running atm and I would say Ive spent maybe 1k on them all.

That skimmer does look good but is a pain to adjust daily as your water level drops, you should look into a auto top of system, something else to spend money on :p

I just bookmarked your build. I'm sure I'll build a "budget" tank at some point too. I like extremes, either high quality and the best I can do, or value based with lots of DYIs.

The fish is not "Rummy Nose Tetras". Talking about Germany, are you German? Sag das doch gleich! :D What I want is called "Rummynose Rasbora". They are rather hard to find. This is how they look like:

Moss trimmings are exactly what I'm scared off. I read several times that people didn't get the moss out ever again. I have to think about that.

Thanks for bookmarking! currently waiting on my supplyers. Yeah as a student, I love the low price extreme ;) Okay, you got me there, just totally mixed the two fish up.

And yeah, I am living about 40 km away of Stuttgart ;) That's why I wondered about the prices (for the wrong fish), since I have to pay extremly much money for fish to get healthy ones and even here, the tetras are about 4 €. But the Rasboras, never seen them live.
Can they be breeded? If yes, you may find a local aquarium club, giving them for about half the price. Three years ago I had luck on that way with some Pseudomugil Ivantsoffi. I got 12 for 25 and usually they are sold for 6 - 8 € each, if your lucky enough to get them.

I read those things too, but never had problems with moss myself, don't know why, guess I am just lucky :)

Thats some crazy money on a fish tank, I tend to try do everything on the cheap, I have 5 fish tanks running atm and I would say Ive spent maybe 1k on them all.

That skimmer does look good but is a pain to adjust daily as your water level drops, you should look into a auto top of system, something else to spend money on :p

I just had a look at your builds, really nice work. Even though I think you spent a bit more than $1000, stones, plants and all included.

Now, I had a auto top-off system on my reef tank list, which would have been a much larger tank. But I might run out of room in that small 90cm cabinet for this setup. Maybe I can find a very skinny and tall canister that still fits. But then again, I'll enjoy having to take care of the 2 tanks on a daily basis. I'm usually only gone for 2 x 1 week each year. In that time I can remove the skimmer.

Thanks for bookmarking! currently waiting on my supplyers. Yeah as a student, I love the low price extreme ;) Okay, you got me there, just totally mixed the two fish up.

And yeah, I am living about 40 km away of Stuttgart ;) That's why I wondered about the prices (for the wrong fish), since I have to pay extremly much money for fish to get healthy ones and even here, the tetras are about 4 €. But the Rasboras, never seen them live.
Can they be breeded? If yes, you may find a local aquarium club, giving them for about half the price. Three years ago I had luck on that way with some Pseudomugil Ivantsoffi. I got 12 for 25 and usually they are sold for 6 - 8 € each, if your lucky enough to get them.

I read those things too, but never had problems with moss myself, don't know why, guess I am just lucky :)

I have only found one place in the entire US that has this fish currently available. There is no way to find them cheaper, and that's ok. This fish is in danger of becoming extinct. You can breed them, but you have to find and rescue the eggs every day, because they tend to eat their babies. Maybe I'll try my luck in the backup tank and share them. I would hate seeing them go extinct.

Placed another order with GLA. This will be my CO2 setup for the backup / refugium tank. I LOVE the GLS regulators. The 5 lb tank is already here. All this will find place in a kitchen cabinet and I'll drill a small hole for the CO2 line through the countertop.

GLA-SS-Mini_zpsa9n2dwok.jpg

The pressurized tank for the Reverse Osmosis system just arrived. It holds 20 gallons, which will allow me to do 50% water changes in both my tanks at any given time without waiting or prep time. I'll hook it up in the laundry room out of sight and run a hose when I need it.

Img_3058.jpg

Back