• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

So If You Where Rich...

Smells Fishy

Thought this would be a bit fun and interesting for us to read if we all got dreamy and shared a little, get as technical as you want. For me it would be something like Joey The King Of Diy's fish house\gallery. I wouldn't go to crazy and have like 50 tanks because that would be just to much work, i think 10 tanks would suit me better. I would have two huge feature tanks. The first would be a paludarium with 20ft long curved glass or acrylic, why not I'm rich remember, that's 2ft high and 3ft wide. Not sure about the water volume but thousands of litres probably. The terrestrial part of it would be a custom 3d rock background that has a waterfall made into it that has multiple pools that are big enough for small fish to live, and in some of the pools I'd try breed things like shrimp and water slaters . The only plants I know I would want are Pothos and loads of Nepenthes carnivorous plants and Bromelaids. The fish that would live in the 20ft long stretch would be a decent amount of Clouded archerfish, the true Climbing perch Anabas testudineus a few of them, T bar cichlids, some Snakeheads, probably Channa bleheri, lastly loads of puffers, Tetraodon schoutedeni. Aquatic plants would be Red root floaters, all the different Salvinia available, all the Crinum available, Spadeleaf plant, Hygrophila pinnatifida, Crypt sprailis, Crypt flamingo,
all the Anubias you can think of on various Sumatra wood. Some rocks doted around. The substrate would be a ton of eco complete and ferts Ei. Automatic water changes everyday. The second is home to monster fish, nothing to crazy like Gars or Arapaima. The biggest would be a Silver arrowana, I know I would want more than one Arrowana but different ones, haven't looked into them enough to tell you which ones tho. Don't really know what else I would want apart from a Jaguar cichlid and a Reticulated knifefish in with them. I would love to add a lovely underwater puppy Mbu puffer to the tank as well because I've seen them in mixed monster tanks but I wouldn't want to take the risk of it attacking the other tank mates since they will probably not recover, i mean they can chew up frozen clams! So it will probably have its own huge tank, along the lines of Corys from Aquarium co op but far bigger. Marines aren't my thing only because mixing the saltwater is such hassle but if I did it would probably only be a load of Royal gramma's, different Hermit crabs, Shrimp Star fish and Sea urchins in something like a 500L. I would love a tank of Rabbit snails. A planted tank for a couple of Channa aurantimaculata. Another big planted tank full of small community fish, with all the variety's of the Emperor tetra. A tank solely devoted to Corydoras. A big Fancy goldfish tank being heavy on the Blackmoors. That's 9 different tanks and I'm out of ideas. I'll be interested in reading what you would do. Cheers.

Pay someone good to set me up a tank, then teach me whilst doing it.
Bit of a boring reply, but I don't know enough for a detailed story

Interesting question.

TBH my dream tank wouldn't be particularly big as i'm not a large fish fan in general and find being able to see the small details close up is what I enjoy. I helped re-jig my friends reef aquascape the other day and that tank is 14x3x2ft also about to help someone else scape their 6x6ft tank which is more my dimensions. Don't get me wrong long looks great and impressive but I think it will be so much work to get it right that the fun would be sapped out of it and I much prefer front to back depth and the sense of scale that provides. Personally I'd much prefer several smaller tanks like 2ft cube where I could do different biotopes, or just play around tanks to keep the interest high.
I'd definitely have a Caribbean reef biotope as I've always wanted one with gorgonians, jawfish and royal grammas. There would be a non photosynthetic coral tank as they are a passion of mine. I would also do a lake tanganyika tank, maybe a little larger with a mix of shell dwellers and probably compressiceps and neolamprologus leleupi (or whatever they are called now). OF course there would be a planted display and that would be big enough for a large shoal of something like neon and more of a jungle tank as that's what I really love. Then i'd probably have a riparium or similar with a nice out of water lush plant area.
I think these would give a good scope of things to play with and I only suggest it as I've had massive tanks and thousands of fish to look after at one time and it does become a chore rather than a pleasure, at least for me so I like to be able to do something fun if I need to but not have to do something if I don't.

If I could afford it something like best quality 8ftx3ftx3ft using all ADA products,will planted in nature aquarium style housing Wild Discus and cardinals,rummy nose tetras small catfish . Trouble is I would need to be rich because I would need a bigger house!

I'm lazy by nature so I'm quite happy with an average 60cm aquarium:D
But I suppose if I were rich I'd go Amano and have lots of talented helpers...the sky's the limit:cool:

visual.jpg

I would probably still try and build most of the system myself as I enjoy all the diy, might not look as nice as top of the range but more fun.

Been day dreaming on and off about what to put since you wrote this and I think it's the impossible question but here's some food for thought - I'd obviously switch the marines for a f/w planted

377b6d9cbdfd814932bdae3eb63b8816.jpg

00b5c03e0a87a658f9444560020b95b2.jpg

(http://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/article/1457789/hk1166-million-ultimate-aquarium)

9d80cde9197fbb8e613ac6bbe175b22e.jpg

a10b62b04eca4d9ea992511389ad7be4.jpg

not being greedy or anything :)

I always wanted a huge aquarium wall with integrated bath (that fishes swim through)- I've never seen it.

Back in the real world something like Marcel's bathtub (not for bathing obviously) /garden looks a mighty fine place to lose a sunny afternoon or two in peace

ETA usual grammar sp etc

I would have a (heated) sub tropical freshwater pond partialy outdoor into the garden and indoor into the conservatory.And large schools of smaller fish. Infinity windows all over the place, one in the living rooms wall of course.

It would need to contain a sluice to separate the indoor part from the outdoor part during the winter periode. The fish will follow the temperature anyway and come indoors on their own.

Would be completely out of this world sitting in the living room, with just a window in the wall looking into a several meter deep tropical scape setup in the conservatory as a riparian indoor tropical pond.

A dream inspired decades ago while visiting and sitting around for hours at Atocha train station Madrid.

atocha-renfe-train-station-madrid-spain-C62T0A.jpg

But then without the green water of course.. :)
turtles-in-a-pond-in-the-railway-station-garden-at-atocha-madrid-spain-c5gr0j.jpg

I'm new to this hobby, so I'm not sure yet. At this point I'd say the 2 tanks I'm currently building is my dream come true plan.

At some point this or next year I'll be moving into a new house. If everything goes well with my 2 tanks I might come up with a floor plan that includes a fish room which supports 2 bigger tanks in the master bed room and the living room. I wouldn't build anything into a wall - I think that's kinda outdated - but I'd have all connections for those thanks right in the wall. Talking about controller connections, hoses for top off, water change, waste water line for vacuum, CO2, sumps in fish room connected through the wall, etc.

Maybe I'd build fish "bridges" from one room to the fish room and into the other room.

Back