• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is anyone crying yet?

Just now.......should I open it, what you think???? :nailbiting::D Maybe not eh.
Scam.jpg

Interestingly the embedded versions of XP and Windows 7 appear to be immune out of the box
I found that not to be the case ;) already spotted 1 XP and 2 Win 7 embedded with the vulnerability ;)

We only had to scan 6k machines!

When it comes to AV programs, regarding antivirus database they all are excactly the same.. This comes with an international agreement, nobody is allowed to withhold antivirus data to create a monopoly.. This would severely impact the safety of the World Wide Web. So all antivirus data is open source and all AV programs are about updated in about the same time periode with the same data. Not to protect you, but to protect the WWW and keep it accesible.

So actualy for a home user a free AV program is sufficient enough.. Paying is a waste of money..

Commercial AV programs only differ in all the locations where they scan and all the addons they carry. Like scanning incomming and outgoing e-mails, scanning storage locations and databases, name it, if something changes they scan it.. This is what makes them resource hogs, the constant permanent realtime guarding of all that happens. Commercialy for a company, where most computers in general don't do much more than create administrative plain text files etc. These computers do not realy need much recources to do the work they are meant to do. So use the excess resouces for safety is the best thing to do to protect the companies sensitive data.

But for a home user, having a commercial AV program scanning the crap out of your files, while you are playing with photoshop, listening music, downloading a movie and chatting with your girl at the same time. Than you end up with a lagging slow computer if about all the RAM is already in the AV. Just need to decide for yourself if it is necessary to permantly real time guard all your documents? Why? You know what and when you put in, if you didn't it's the same as yesterday.. Why would you check outgoing mail? You know what you send.. Even incomming mail, why? Safe and scan and attachment before opening it if you don't trust it.

On a windows PC defender gaurding your system files is indeed suficient enough and it has the same database as all others and it is regularly updated with the M$ autoupdate. The other free programs like Avast or AVG, they only claim to be better because these also scan realtime at places which do not need to be scanned all that time. Is this realy better? They also can hog your system if you do not have enough ram or cpu power. :) And then it's not.. :thumbup:

I found that not to be the case ;) already spotted 1 XP and 2 Win 7 embedded with the vulnerability ;)

We only had to scan 6k machines!
Ours have "file and print sharing" off so no port 445 and no smbv1. Most Win 7 images I build I unbind smbv1 as not really needed.

On a windows PC defender gaurding your system files is indeed suficient enough and it has the same database as all others and it is regularly updated with the M$ autoupdate. The other free programs like Avast or AVG, they only claim to be better because these also scan realtime at places which do not need to be scanned all that time. Is this realy better? They also can hog your system if you do not have enough ram or cpu power. :) And then it's not.. :thumbup:

Not sure thats 100% correct. Reading various tech sites regarding testing av software on computers deliberately infected shows that some find the viruses where as others do not. They may all have access to the same global dB but they all must copy from this global dB to there own specific db. Windows defender's database seems to be updated less frequently that others companies judging by the test results and various articles out there.

Windows defender's database seems to be updated less frequently that others companies judging by the test results and various articles out there.
that one is better than nothing, but almost nothing ;) I have good experience with 360 total security because when an application installs and wants to make registry changes you have to approve it, or it wont install. Also it checks for Windows updates but also for other vulnerable software like java, etc.... Understands when you visit banking or shopping sites and places the browser into a container where plugins and such can't interfere with the session!

Do these features come with the free version LD or only if you pay?

From my understanding it's probably best if everyone has some form of AV running. Although not at risk from the same malware you could send some to someone it will infect.

Do these features come with the free version LD or only if you pay?
Comes with the free version. Has a bunch of great tools to clean you your machine and keep it always running and booting smoothly.

Would you recommend Mac users install an AV as well?
More than ever, there is also viruses and malware written for MacOS.

Not sure thats 100% correct. Reading various tech sites regarding testing av software on computers deliberately infected shows that some find the viruses where as others do not. They may all have access to the same global dB but they all must copy from this global dB to there own specific db. Windows defender's database seems to be updated less frequently that others companies judging by the test results and various articles out there.

I also did read a lot of these articles and magazines and I rather believe all the IT or Computer (beauty) magazines out there are commercialy involved into marketing to trophy and award a new candidate each year. It's advertizing.. :) And all of them scanners have passed the review one time or another tagged as very good or even the best or what so ever. So they drive you completely crazy and if you follow their lead you buy a new one each time they tag another one as better.. This year it's Mcafee and next year its Sophos and the year after that it's Bullgaurd and keep 'm comming. Lets throw in Hitman Pro, a package with several malware scaner combined running them all at the same time, just to be sure to find something.

But final conclusion is, that catching malware is your own doing in not paying attention and surfing "free this - free that" sites you shouldn't surf or opening attachments you shouldn't open. And yes a lot of programs used for internet purpose have vurnabilities and potential backdoors which can be exploited, but than still you first need to visit a malisious website uploading the crap to your pc.

Personaly i'm with Microsoft Security Essentials for the last 8 years and haven't had a virus on my pc in over 10 years.. It's my surfing habbit and knowing where not to go and what not to do to prevent getting any. So it might well be that one scanner doesn't pick up what the other newer version does.. As said they are like the police running after the facts all are constantly scrutinized by the criminals too to find a gap to sneak through. Fistly the virus evolves, the scanner can only follow, hopefully on time.

You should go with the AV software you find yourself most comfortable with.. But still if it finds malware or viruses on your pc, you rather should review your own dowings or that of the others using the pc. :)

I also did read a lot of these articles and magazines and I rather believe all the IT or Computer (beauty) magazines out there are commercialy involved into marketing to trophy and award a new candidate each year. It's advertizing.. :) And all of them scanners have passed the review one time or another tagged as very good or even the best or what so ever. So they drive you completely crazy and if you follow their lead you buy a new one each time they tag another one as better.. This year it's Mcafee and next year its Sophos and the year after that it's Bullgaurd and keep 'm comming. Lets throw in Hitman Pro, a package with several malware scaner combined running them all at the same time, just to be sure to find something.

But final conclusion is, that catching malware is your own doing in not paying attention and surfing "free this - free that" sites you shouldn't surf or opening attachments you shouldn't open. And yes a lot of programs used for internet purpose have vurnabilities and potential backdoors which can be exploited, but than still you first need to visit a malisious website uploading the crap to your pc.

Personaly i'm with Microsoft Security Essentials for the last 8 years and haven't had a virus on my pc in over 10 years.. It's my surfing habbit and knowing where not to go and what not to do to prevent getting any. So it might well be that one scanner doesn't pick up what the other newer version does.. As said they are like the police running after the facts all are constantly scrutinized by the criminals too to find a gap to sneak through. Fistly the virus evolves, the scanner can only follow, hopefully on time.

You should go with the AV software you find yourself most comfortable with.. But still if it finds malware or viruses on your pc, you rather should review your own dowings or that of the others using the pc. :)
Yes I agree, no amount of software can deal with the weakest chain in the link, the human

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The majority of people also never read what a free program asks during the instalation process. I've seen so many people with a hijacked browser.
Just because they are not reading and clicking yes, yes, yes, yes and yes to get the darn chat program installed.. And then all starts lagging, with 4 different toolbars, 3 search engines and buttons where 2 of them contain a malicious code which can be exploited. And before you know after installing some other free gadgets the domino effect makes the house of cards fall into a bsod.. And all this while Norton is bussy scanning all incomming and outgoing emails flagging everything as spam and keeps nagging about a malicious code in the recyclebin.

For those wo still do not see it and still are scanning outgoing e-mails.. Which for a home user is a completely bogus hogging useless software feature.
Supose it finds something in the e-mail your sending, what does this say? It says if you didn't write and attached the code yourself, the scanner didn't do it's job in the first place, because it didnt report anything getting in. So than why should it find this while going out? And that's what you are paying for?

The majority of people also never read what a free program asks during the instalation process. I've seen so many people with a hijacked browser.
Just because they are not reading and clicking yes, yes, yes, yes and yes to get the darn chat program installed.. And then all starts lagging, with 4 different toolbars, 3 search engines and buttons where 2 of them contain a malicious code which can be exploited.

Lol, yes my mother in law is a perfect example of this, then a call comes into the "son in law helpdesk".....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The best way to look at ALL software whether it be for your phone or your PC is that there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Software Devs spend a fair bit of time and money on developing software and putting it out there. They aren't charity workers so they need a return on investment, they get this by firstly you buy the software and you pay for their time, they insert advertising into the software which tracks your browsing habits so they can better target advertising for you or they want you to install a third party browser extension or search engine so they can then sell on that information to third parties.
In the case of open source software where it is generally wrote by coders in their spare time you usually find its a donation situation if you want, the only down side is you don't get much if any support so forums are set up to sort issues out amongst the users which the Devs will fix as and when they can.
In the case of Linux the software is tested by the Devs and then tested by the OS developers and once verified safe it is allowed in the Ubuntu repository and included in your uodates, this takes time and in the meantime they dev may have brought out numerous new versions which you can force install but the best practice is always get your software from the repository and you're safe as houses. Hence why I would suggest it is a good, Stable platform for use in the work place.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

I installed 360 last night on my w10 laptop although I was thinking do I need to go down this route. Firstly I had a w10 update that wouldn't install, rebooted three times and still wouldn't just got stuck at 45% for an eternity then got to 100, restarted and it said failed to install. Went to install the AV, as usual tried to get me to install a load of 3rd party stuff which I immediately cancelled, installed it and set off running full test while being nagged my built in AV had been knocked off then the full scan got stuck at 99% for 2 Hours. I spent 4 hours in total and achieved diddly squat eventually just knocking it off and going to bed.
That's exactly why me and windows parted company some years ago and you know what, I knew it was coming before I started because it always does.
Too much going on and too many things conflicting with each other. If I was at work I would have been calling the I.T people and wasting half my day.

I installed 360 last night on my w10 laptop although I was thinking do I need to go down this route. Firstly I had a w10 update that wouldn't install, rebooted three times and still wouldn't just got stuck at 45% for an eternity then got to 100, restarted and it said failed to install. Went to install the AV, as usual tried to get me to install a load of 3rd party stuff which I immediately cancelled, installed it and set off running full test while being nagged my built in AV had been knocked off then the full scan got stuck at 99% for 2 Hours. I spent 4 hours in total and achieved diddly squat eventually just knocking it off and going to bed.
That's exactly why me and windows parted company some years ago and you know what, I knew it was coming before I started because it always does.
Too much going on and too many things conflicting with each other. If I was at work I would have been calling the I.T people and wasting half my day.

I must be one of the lucky ones as I have not had those sort of issues with w10, so far found it to be pretty good. It started off a bit iffy with smb comms with my nas drive (just could not browse to it using mapped drives) but that has been fixed now. With AVG the only thing it tries to get you to install upon er, install, is a free trial of the paid for version and I think it asks about adding itself to the browser, that's it.

As an operating system I don't actually mind w10, for me though the updates are a PITA, probably because I don't use it that much. I tend to update things before I use them so I find there are a few updates which are incremental so I have to download one and install it to get the next one, I can spend hours updating. I'm sure things will improve as the OS matures, no mean feat for MS bringing one OS that will run on phones, tablets and pc's. So many variables involved in making a one size-fits-all solution compatible with all hardware. I have a laptop tablet combo and I find some things I can't carry out when running in tablet mode, I need to put the keyboard back on and run in pc mode. Simple browsing and checking email etc is fine as a tablet but if you need to get any real work done its a PC for me.

Would you recommend Mac users install an AV as well?
It also kinda depends on what you do with your PC.. Vurnabilities lay generaly in addons which are constantly online e.g. chat programs, skype is on of those which is always under fire. Visiting malicious websites and opening attachments cq. links and other internet content from unknown sources.. Wel even sometimes the sender might be known but still the source of the content isn't and comming from a spam bot.

For someone who is very causious in what they do and where they go and where they share their e-mail addresses it probably wont run such a fast pace.. A friend of mine has a Mac as long as i remeber and never had an AV installed and never had a problem..

The same actualy goes for Windows as well.. I've tried it long enough, just for fun, installing a virtual machine and surf the net unprotected on trusted sites only and never caught anything nasty.. And install another one and surf the nasty ones to see wht they come up with.

What i used a lot in the past and still do sometimes when i get Paranoia Paula and think there is something going on.
https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html

And they are realy very good and already around for decades, i use it mainly on PC's which are not mine and think the localy installed av got corrupted. And or periodicaly check my own PC's if i feel like it just for the sake of mind.

Always up to date, fast and safe and no strings attached..

But installing a free AV for a bit real time protection is a beter safe than sorry that never hurts. :)

Back