• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best place to buy hard scrape material

Pippa J

Seedling
hi all

Where is the best place to buy materials from ? I have been to a few shops near me with little selection of wood, rocks or plants. I live in Surrey/ London so happy to travel around the areas. Would prefer to go to a shop Vrs online but would consider either. I'm also after a couple of different types of moss but can only find Java miss in the shops. Is there such a place that would be heaven and have all of the above ?

Thank you :)

The best place is aquariumgardens which is online. They have a fab selection of great quality plants. Plenty of hardscape stuff too! Im in the Midlands amd again struggle with shops but wharf aquatics might be a bit of a drive for you but is brilliant.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I just looked into wharf ..... 4 hour drive :( I will look at aquarium gardens though thank you :)

Have you tried lynchford aquatics in Farnborough? A small shop but i have found them to have a good selection of fish. Equipment and rocks. Nice little shop. Theres a nice big maidenhead aquatics in bordon aswel. I believe this is one of there flag ship shops and i would say far superior to all the other ones ive been in. I got mine from coxwell aquatics in didcot but it says its permanently closed now which is a shame. If you really fancy a drive there emperor tropicals and water garden in plymouth. I havent got myself down there yet so i cant comment but they won south west aquatic retailer of the year

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Haven't tried lynchford Iain but I will do !
What about the maidenhead at St Albans has anyone found that any good

I'm liking the idea of ordering some bonsai wood from aquarium gardens but worried incase I don't like the piece.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure on the returns policy. However a call to them explaining your concern might prompt them to setup pictures or something?

I know aqua essentials does pictures of the pieces so may look there too. Think I need to book a holiday off work just to travel around and find hardscape stuff !

Bigger Maidenheads tend to do azalea root (spider wood) and different types of rock. Their own brand gravel supplier does dragon stone, manten stone, mini landscape rock etc. Might be worth seeing if they'll get some in with your next order.

Any good ones you could suggest near London/surrey Henry?

No, sorry, I'm miles up in th grim north! If they don't know who to order from, Pettex do the various rock types and should have an order book with pictures you can direct them from, and ADC do the spider wood.

Might all be a bit of a faff though, and probably end up being easier to order from a sponsor.

I just would so prefer to see the stuff and lay it all out rather than risk ordering but it looks like that's going to be my only option soon !
Going to try a maidenhead near my work tomorrow .....fingers crossed ! Plus I'm just being impatient and want it all now !

Tbh I'm a bit scared of eBay ordered Moss from there before and all arrived in a pulp. But I spose for dry goods may be worth a shot.

Yeah never buy plants from eBay lol. I Brought a piece of spider wood from eBay and came as shown on the picture

I must be really old fashioned if I want to go to an actual shop lol

Doesn't the Aquatic Design Centre do much in planted tanks anymore?

Also check the Events forum for a list of shops where George Farmer has been doing Aquascaping Events or check his facebook pages for recent/planned aquascapes

Adc has a new venue so not completely set up yet. They are trading though. But my friend works there and he said when it's all finished it's going to be amazing !

Back