• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning glass on the outside

BarryH

Can I ask if there is a "better" way to clean the outside of aquarium glass?

At the minute I just wipe the outside over with a clean sponge and I just wondered if there was any other safe way to clean the outside.

If your glass is greasy, from toughing it or smoking what so ever.. You can use a cloth damped with alcohol and after wiping clean it again with some water.. If you have very hard water leaving stains and stripes, take some demiralized water in a spray bottle and spray a bit on the glass.. An old grandma's trick to get glass absolutely stripeless clean, is rub it dry with a wad of newspaper. :)

Vinegar is absolutely harmless, some people even throw white food grade vinegar in the tank water.. It is an acid lowering the pH and thus affects kH, like what oak extract does or peat extract available in the lfs and what more is used for that purpose. Next to the smell there is nothing to it, but it removes stains from magnesium and calcium very good also on te inside of the glass at the water level. Also no harm done if little bit gets in the water. :)

As much as some say not to, I use windolene like cleaners, done so for years on my 2 mbuna, 1 oranda, 1 southamerican comunity and 1 CRS/oto cocama tanks with no ill effect (I hate the smell of vinegar)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I use glasses cleaner as in reading glasses now and again. It comes in a little spray bottle and I wipe off with a lint free cloth. Not sure of the contents so I would be very careful about spraying any indirectly into the tank but I'm guess it's probably alcohol based.

Windolene followed by IPA alcohol.

Windolene gets rid of scale marks and dried on water makes and IPA for a final polish.

Obviously make sure none gets in the tank.

Windex window cleaner here in U.S. with vinegar.(comes mixed)
Best glass cleaner in my view for auto glass ,window's,is ..one part ammonia,one part alcohol,one part water.
Resist's freezing,streaking, when used with paper towel or wadded up newspaper which is about all the latest news here is good for..

Back