• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rummy nose vs cardinals Iwagumi

Cardinal's may take a few day's to adapt/acclimate, but will color nicely if condition's are good.
Is same for rummy nose, but they're silver sides against white or light colored background would in my view be lost, and only the crimson nose would draw attention.

I think also sometimes "understated" fish have just has good a effect, think I agree most South American tetras are best in numbers in large tanks with cover of plants and wood

Yes,I think both/most species look nice in tannin stained water, but I realize most do not appreciate the look.
To see comparison,one could boil some pure Sphagnum peat(no additives) in a pot, and use rendering to create tannin look usually as a result from tannin's leaching into the water column from wood's.
Can always perform water change after viewing the effect, and return the tanks water clarity to previous condition.
Can also use auto window tinting material on back glass if one wishes.

The background is sprayed with frosted glass spray. I bought it like this from someone and didn't like to scrap it off with something sharp. So making it more dark is not an option. Problem with the cardinals, green neons and rummy nose they like more soft water. The ph wouldn't be a problem with my co2 but the gh and kh are relative high. If this makes them colour less that would be bad with my background. Anyone experience with green neons on a light background?

My tap water:
KH 9
PH 7,5
GH 13
TDS 170

No,don't buy fishes to see what look's best, and discard or return other's?
Google images of fishes that interest you, and research condition's that favor them, (ie) temp's,water chemistry,diet,etc.
Hobby is full of folk's that purchase fishes for aesthetic values without much interest as to whether the fishes they purchase may or may not be suitable for the environment you or I could most easily provide.

No,don't buy fishes to see what look's best, and discard or return other's?
Google images of fishes that interest you, and research condition's that favor them, (ie) temp's,water chemistry,diet,etc.
Hobby is full of folk's that purchase fishes for aesthetic values without much interest as to whether the fishes they purchase may or may not be suitable for the environment you or I could most easily provide.

I just don't know what will look the 'best' with my light background. That's why. I did my research about conditions..

Would submit that soft water species will not fair as well or color up as well in more alkaline water's.(Generally)
Would suggest that the effort lend's itself to either choosing more suitable species, and,or purchasing a baker's dozen of one species with expectation's of losing a few maybe 50% or fewer.IMHO
If shrimp were to also be a consideration ,then The Threadfin Raibow's are a small species with tiny mouth's that would not pose near the risk to the shrimp's and enjoy moderate to hard alkaline water's.
The photo's do not do them justice but males and females together along with posturing by the males and the flicking of fin's as they interact is enjoyed by those who have kept them.
Small Furcata is another species that is under appreciated but a bit more aggressive than the Threadfin Rainbow's.
I have 12 dgh and pH from the tap is between 7.4 and 7.6 and although I have managed to keep the cardinal's and neon's along with rummy nose, I frequently lost several at a time while hoping they might acclimate to my water from the tap which is easiest for me to reproduce and is what I use for all tank's these day's.
Sure, I could and have in the past adjusted water to suit different species,but it is much easier for me and fishes me thinks ,to choose fishes that suit my water rather than adjusting water to suit the fishes.
Anything that is more tedious for me ,becomes less and less of an interest to me in my golden year's and I am not as likely to stick to a regime.
You will of course do as you wish,just offering some food for thought if not for you,,,maybe so for other's.

Would submit that soft water species will not fair as well or color up as well in more alkaline water's.(Generally)
Would suggest that the effort lend's itself to either choosing more suitable species, and,or purchasing a baker's dozen of one species with expectation's of losing a few maybe 50% or fewer.IMHO
If shrimp were to also be a consideration ,then The Threadfin Raibow's are a small species with tiny mouth's that would not pose near the risk to the shrimp's and enjoy moderate to hard alkaline water's.
The photo's do not do them justice but males and females together along with posturing by the males and the flicking of fin's as they interact is enjoyed by those who have kept them.
Small Furcata is another species that is under appreciated but a bit more aggressive than the Threadfin Rainbow's.
I have 12 dgh and pH from the tap is between 7.4 and 7.6 and although I have managed to keep the cardinal's and neon's along with rummy nose, I frequently lost several at a time while hoping they might acclimate to my water from the tap which is easiest for me to reproduce and is what I use for all tank's these day's.
Sure, I could and have in the past adjusted water to suit different species,but it is much easier for me and fishes me thinks ,to choose fishes that suit my water rather than adjusting water to suit the fishes.
Anything that is more tedious for me ,becomes less and less of an interest to me in my golden year's and I am not as likely to stick to a regime.
You will of course do as you wish,just offering some food for thought if not for you,,,maybe so for other's.

I appreciate your alternatives but by far they don't compete with looks of cardinals IMO. So far the LFS also keeps them just on tap water, so if it was really bad they couldn't even life in there right? My water supplier says the water will become 'softer' in 2018 although yeah what is softer? Guess we will see in 2018 still a long time to go... loses up to 50% seems a lot. Did you lose them only when introducing or still over the time when the tank was running?

Most of those lost were within three weeks of introducing them.
Those that survived often did well,but early on,, those that witness this often see it as some type of sickness or disease, and begin throwing med's at the fishes which places more stress on them.(more fishes lost)
If the fishes die,they buy more in hopes that the next batch possibly from different source,do better.
Is what I did for too long with less than desired result's.
I began grasping with hope those experiences shared by others who claimed to keep them in similar condition's without issues.
Was not until I decided that maybe the fishes just didn't like the condition's I kept submitting them to and either went with R/O tap water mix ,or chose different species.
You or I may be just barely able to keep said fishes in our water or fish store water, but then maybe we do not account for sharp increases in TDS from plant fertilizer's,CO2 in high or fluctuating concentration's,bright lighting beaming down upon them, all manner of buffer's,or popular pH up /down powder's while chasing some magic pH which only cause more fluctuation's with water chemistry in glass box.
I say try the cardinal's after the tank has matured for a few month's and as mentioned,purhase a dozen minimum.
Provide stable condition's with no sudden changes to chemistry,and perhaps they will adapt.
Just throwing scenario's out there that might be expected.

Back