• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3ft shallow scape

Wow guys I apologise for my slackness! It's been way too long time for an update :)

So I gave the scape a very big trim to try and promote some better growth.
I added in some Cryptocoryne and a plant cutting from a friend I believe its a type of Syngonium.

upload_2017-6-8_20-55-52.png

Also decided to buy a fogger to add some drama to the scape but too be honest I rarely use it but it makes a good photo :)

upload_2017-6-8_20-56-14.png

Growth has really taken off now! The Syngoniums have gone nuts. The monte carlo carpet has really filled in and I have added some air plants for some interest.

dsc_0042-3.jpg

dsc_0048-2.jpg

dsc_0047-2.jpg

My little Buce has been flowering and I love it!

dsc_0052-2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so the latest update, this is the scape as of today 8-06-17 I have removed the monte carlo carpet as I have become bored of it. I have replaced it with sand to try create more contrast between the 3 islands of rock and plants. I am quite happy with the result.
I have been cutting and replanting my buce and I'm starting to have a respectable amount. I have removed the Syngonium from the left hand side of the tank as it was stealing all the light with it's robust foliage.
The scape has been fishless/shrimpless for quite some time now I would like to put something back in but have yet to decide what. I was thinking standard red cherry shrimp as their bright red colours would hopefully add some excitement to the tank. Fish wise I am unsure I don't want anything that will eat my moss or shrimp if I decide to add them.
Perhaps a Siamese fighting fish? Would love to have some colours.
Any suggestions guys?

DSC_0013 (2).JPG

Please also visit my blog for more :) @ https://themossyblogster.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/shallow-aquarium-update-continued/

Last edited:
I really like shallow tanks and this one is looking really good. Much better with the sand imho.
As for fish how about pygmy corys and a shoal of ember tetras or rasbora hengli?
I think smaller fish would look better in this scape.

I really like shallow tanks and this one is looking really good. Much better with the sand imho.
As for fish how about pygmy corys and a shoal of ember tetras or rasbora hengli?
I think smaller fish would look better in this scape.

Thank you Juraj C I very much agree loving the sand :)
I was also thinking corys but I have very little experience with them are they easy to keep?
I have kept white clouds in here previously but they got lost amongst all the plants to easily I need something that will really "pop". I will look into the tetras you have suggested.

Hi all,
I am loving this. Definitely Syngonium podophyllum.

Which Ferns, Bromeliads and Orchids do you have now? Do you still have the Tillandsia usneoides?

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel, Thank you I'm glad you are enjoying my scape :) Yes! I still have my Tillandsia usneoides, I actually went and purchased a whole lot off ebay and now have it hanging outside on my balcony. It seems to be doing a lot better there.
I'm not sure if you noticed but I have another species that is very similar which you may notice hanging in that photo above the tank on the right hand side. I believe its a tillandsia mallemontii. It seems quite happy but isn't really growing much so I'm not sure what is happening there.

On that log sitting on the tank I have T.Aeranthos 'Miniata' and T.Bergeri and the orchid Oncidium Rosy sunset 'Rosebud' according to the plant tickets anyway. I also have tied there an Australian native orchid I found a while ago no idea what it's called I only found out it was an orchid the other day!

I'm slowly gathering quite a variety of ferns most are in my terrariums though. I'm finding its a lot of trial and error to keep them happy they can be quite temperamental depending on the species.

Everything about your scape is great! Really inspiring actually. I totally agree with you on the Betta idea, I'm planning on making a scape around this guy real soon https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=VzHEd/2E&id=F69571F8E7B02F860FAB3D7773F57373857ABE34&thid=OIP.VzHEd_2EXFWHKGwAPcNgVQEsDR&q=black+dragon+betta&simid=608046845259153477&selectedIndex=1&ajaxhist=0

Oh wow! He is a nice one I look forward to seeing what you create :)

You might try to put Betta sorority with several colorful females.

Actually that is not a bad idea, I have seen some really colourful females. Question.. Can you keep one male with a bunch of females if there is sufficient space?

Oh wow! He is a nice one I look forward to seeing what you create :)

Actually that is not a bad idea, I have seen some really colourful females. Question.. Can you keep one male with a bunch of females if there is sufficient space?

Next week I'm ordering what I need so that's when the journal will be kicking off.

To answer your question, I'm only just really getting into Betta's so can't say for sure plus I've never bred them, people on here I know have tho. All Betta's are individuals so it's all ways going to be a gamble but in a tank like say 500L or more I can see it happening, it just might not be tranquil.

Next week I'm ordering what I need so that's when the journal will be kicking off.

To answer your question, I'm only just really getting into Betta's so can't say for sure plus I've never bred them, people on here I know have tho. All Betta's are individuals so it's all ways going to be a gamble but in a tank like say 500L or more I can see it happening, it just might not be tranquil.

I'm keen to see your journal.

Looks very cool, love all the emersed growth, where abouts in Australia are you? I am in Perth. I have a tank set up on that wire rack just like that, its only 2ft and I didnt really trust the rack so I put the tank on the bottom shelf and also braced with plywood, you rack seems to be coping with the 3ft well,

Looks very cool, love all the emersed growth, where abouts in Australia are you? I am in Perth. I have a tank set up on that wire rack just like that, its only 2ft and I didnt really trust the rack so I put the tank on the bottom shelf and also braced with plywood, you rack seems to be coping with the 3ft well,

Hello, I'm over in Sydney. We got our rack from Howards storage world, It's very sturdy and I think each shelf is rated for a couple hundred kgs. I have tried to make the tank as light as possible by using scoria (light weight lava rock) as a base layer then some aquasoil. And the main rock work is all lava rock as well. Lava rock is great because its super light weight and the mosses find it very easy to attach to. Not to mention its all very cheap too!

I think the only thing this scape is missing is Aeschynomene fluitans, a beautiful plant no doubt about it. Might be a problem fitting it in tho.

Realy lovely setup.. Love it. :)
Had to look this plant up! Wow! Looks perfect however I don't know if it is available here.

It's also a rather demanding plant, i had above my hightech but realy couldn't get it to thrive and have no idea what i did wrong or had wrong. It slowly died on me. Tho seen other doing very well with it, only thing they had different was hard water.. Maybe my light wasn't strong enough or lak of calcium or magnesium, never found out.. Lately discovered the Potentilla palustris. It has simular grow features as the Aeschynomene fluitans, less demanding and a hardy plant.. Wide spread from europa to asia and cultivated as garden/pond plant, so it might be easier to get in Australia.

Back