• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mold in fert dosing bottles.

aq1.jpg
aq2.jpg

Zeus,

How do you dose your Macros..all 3 chemicals together ?

I found the Mag Sulphate had a reaction with the pot phosphate and pot nitrate and dose the Mag separately hence the 3 tubes in the picture ...it was like a white precipitation in the bottom of the storage container..

By the way the preservatives are Potassium Sorbate and Ascorbic acid not that I think that will help in this case by lowering the Ph.. it is usually used in the micros..

By the way the preservatives are Potassium Sorbate and Ascorbic acid not that I think that will help in this case by lowering the Ph.. it is usually used in the micros..
The ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is used to lower the pH, to keep the chelated micros chelated and potassium sorbate acts as a preservative.

Potassium Sorbate needs low pH to be effective. That is one of the Ascorbic Acid's jobs. But as I've said the combo didn't work for me in Macros. I'm curious if it will work for you.

Last edited:
Well I have just made up a 2 litres of Macro and will put the pot sorbate in today and will keep you all posted. I started noticing the gunge in mine after about 4 weeks of use starting with clean containers. I wouldn't of expected it to grow in that space of time..lets see :D

Reactions: xim
oops.. forgot to mention I have added ascorbic acid to the mix too.:D

Reactions: xim
How do you dose your Macros..all 3 chemicals together ?

Yep just add all three and add water as per instructions. Have increased the Potassium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulphate concentration recently using Rotala Butterys calculator as getting holes in leaves and curling. The EI dose was on the low side for the light my plants are getting. The increased dose may also help stop the mould too.

that interesting as I am getting leaf curl at the deeper bits of my tank..

that interesting as I am getting leaf curl at the deeper bits of my tank..

Well I used the Nutrient Dosing Calculator v1.5.8 on the Rotala Butterflys site and worked out the levels which I was giving them with the mix I was doing and it was at the bottom end of the EI range and lots of head room so increased the concentration. Well it does say its a starter kit, if the plants are not growing right its either toxicins, light, CO2 or nutrients, ruled out the first three so it had to be nutrients. Time will tell. Think I will invest in some digital scales with a tear button and make life easier too, all to easy to lose count with the spoons.

Right its the end of the month and 3 weeks into using sorbate and Ascorbic acid as preservatives in the Macro mix....annnnnnnnnd not a sign of any ugly gunge growing in the vessels and I haven't cleaned them either. Well pleased !!!!:D:D:);):clap:

SO FAR so good.. will wait another fortnight and report again !

Eeek ! APF's site is down.. John says they are moving house and will shut till 2nd week in July !

Anyway I ordered Ascorbic Acid 50g and Potassium Sorbate 50g off their site.

John said just use a pinch per 1 litre of mix.. very variable, just as much as seems to work. It does for me so far !

good luck.. I will let you know as soon as the ugly bug reappears :mad::rage:

The purple one is a bulb... Tiger Lilly. They do a green variant too but the red/purple one is good. It is going mad and I have to keep cutting the leaves back. It will flower too.

The big green monster is a solid mother plant of trident java fern. The leaves are nearly a foot long. Its all grown on recently..
WP_20170701_16_18_05_Pro.jpg

Back