• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID

Nigel95

Whats the plant (down) on the driftwood/spiderwood? Monte carlo? Riccia fluitans?

Attachments

• hanging plant.jpg
    hanging plant.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 116
That's IAPLC 2015 Grand Prize scape "Longing by" by Takayuki Fukada. If I remember it right, the plant was Hemianthus callitrichoides Cuba.

That's IAPLC 2015 Grand Prize scape "Longing by" by Takayuki Fukada. If I remember it right, the plant was Hemianthus callitrichoides Cuba.

I know I would like to try a forest scape once. He is a master with all his scapes. How did he manage to let it grow without soil? Does it grow If you super glue it on rocks/wood?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I know I would like to try a forest scape once. He is a master with all his scapes. How did he manage to let it grow without soil? Does it grow If you super glue it on rocks/wood?
Not sure about superglue, but if you get the light and CO2 right it'll pretty much grow anywhere it's roots can get a hold, even in pretty shallow substrate or in moss. It's creeping habit will do the rest. It can actually become a PITA if you don't get rid of all the trimmings since they will take anywhere they can get a tentative foothold.

Not sure about superglue, but if you get the light and CO2 right it'll pretty much grow anywhere it's roots can get a hold, even in pretty shallow substrate or in moss. It's creeping habit will do the rest. It can actually become a PITA if you don't get rid of all the trimmings since they will take anywhere they can get a tentative foothold.

It seems cheaper to fill some stones with monte Carlo/hc instead of using mosses. It looks pretty good imo If it's hanging down. More maintenance too and yeah to get rid of the trimmings is going to be a pain. It seems very hard to build a hardscape like this. But Damn the looks are so Nice.

Leave a lot of nooks and crannies, then just pop it in with the rockwool still on it's roots.. :) With sufficient co2 and ferts it realy doesn't mind.. Hence the nurseries grow it on rockwool as well.. :) Anyway, the plant with rockwool can be squeezed into any gap you can find and grows on.. Monte carlo can do the same for you, slightly bigger but not realy that much different but easier to grow.

Leave a lot of nooks and crannies, then just pop it in with the rockwool still on it's roots.. :) With sufficient co2 and ferts it realy doesn't mind.. Hence the nurseries grow it on rockwool as well.. :) Anyway, the plant with rockwool can be squeezed into any gap you can find and grows on.. Monte carlo can do the same for you, slightly bigger but not realy that much different but easier to grow.

That sir is not a bad idea at all. Although If I am ever going to "try" this I have plenty of monte Carlo from my Iwagumi with no rockwool on it. Does anyone have an idea What the cost of mosses will be in a forest scape on a 80x40x40 cm tank. Fissidens seems expensive and you only get a little piece of it.

Taxiphyllum barbieri and Vesicularia dubyana are also worth considering. I think Tropica sell both in tubs which perhaps offers best value for money.
A couple of tubs will probably be plenty for what you have in mind; tho' it really depends on how much wood you use and whether you want instant impact.
I secure mine to wood using black cotton; if conditions suit they will grow and spread to cover quite quickly.

Taxiphyllum barbieri and Vesicularia dubyana are also worth considering. I think Tropica sell both in tubs which perhaps offers best value for money.
A couple of tubs will probably be plenty for what you have in mind; for instant impact perhaps one or two more.
I secure mine to wood using black cotton; if conditions suit they will grow and spread to cover quite quickly.

Alright Thanks thats doable. Ever used superglue? It seems much easier than cotton.

I use superglue gel to secure moss and epiphytes to rock mainly, but I don't like to use it unless I have to. It doesn't always give the plants the best start and it can be messy particularly if you're ham-fisted.
On wood cotton is by far the best method and I think it's better if you want to make a small portion of moss go a long way.
I usually design the scape with wood in situ, mark it with dots where I want the moss to go, and then remove it to make the binding easier and then replace it covered in moss.

Back