• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica & Pets at Home

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Just popped in to my local Pets at Home and was astonished to discover the snail infested weir tank has gone:eek:
In it's place is this below...:)

35204243160_ae37788063_b.jpg

34749823194_906951e74f_b.jpg

Ooo that looks promosing. I might take a look at mine and see its the same

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Still looks like they have the non aquatic plants though.

A lfs near me tried in vitro and only I bought them. I just don't think people understand them so it's nice to see a big company stocking them.

Still looks like they have the non aquatic plants though.
They do..but they're packaged as Assorted Living Decor as opposed to Live Aquatic Plants, which is fair enough;)

You lucky guy, in my neighborhood there is not one LFS whit good quality plants.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

Even i have 4 LFS with in a reasonable distance.. If i'm looking for one or two particular plants i always ask here.
http://www.aquaplantexchange.nl/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=46&sid=e245bc65df36a5da702086afaa7dc266
Sometimes with some patience about everything you can imagine comes around. And very often, completely unavailable sp. in the LFS are offered.
The next positive side is, you most likely get an already submersed version and likely much cheaper than in the LFS..

If i need more than one plant, e.g for a new setup..
https://www.aquarium-planten.com/
Is a very good webshop and they sell pretty nice quality plants for very reasonable prices and a very good P&P service..

So actualy you do not need to get off your couch :thumbup: to get nice plants.. Well only if the postman rings..

Last edited:
Slow Roast is coming together and is about ready for planting. If i got the blister packs and/or the 1-2 pots does any one know how long they would last before needing to be planted? Would they last a week or two ?

Ta,

Si
Think they last quite a while were talking 12 months

Hi all,
Just popped in to my local Pets at Home and was astonished to discover the snail infested weir tank has gone:eek:
In it's place is this below..
I would imagine that all retailers would like to go down that route it is lower maintenance, frees up floor space, makes an impulse purchase more likely etc.

The main problem would be that if they don't sell then they won't go back to an alternative plant display, they will just stop selling plants.

cheers Darrel

They have it at my p@h. The plants look good, but clearly turnover is low because there is a fair number in a very poor state from being on the shelf a long time. Feels like the selection is more consistent too, but the nice thing about the old set up was the often quite random selection of what appeared for sale. It lacks the 'kid in a sweetshop' factor too.

I think what's happening, well at least hope what's happening, is that aquascaping has become more popular and it's influence has started to trickle down to the more mainstream high street pet stores.
That has been partly driven by communities like ours and in no small way other social media, and by companies like Tropica recognising the potential their market has for expansion.
Like most things in life it's about timing, and considering the way these plants are packaged education as well.
Acceptance may take a while, but I'm guessing Tropica is testing the market, and has factored that in to their longterm strategy.

Well I walked past initially looking for the plants waterfall and nearly missed them so think P@H need to display away from any distractive things and make more clear what they are,anyone new to planted tanks might not get what they are

The longevity of these probably saves the shop money as if they are anything like the one near me the plants don't last too long in the waterfall. The ones in the tanks get covered in black brush algae amazingly fast as well which is a pitty because they do get the best plants of any shop in the local area. All in all it doesn't give you much confidence in their stock unfortunately.

Nice to see tropica are trying to educate and I hope it works well for them. The only thing I notice is the price of these has bumped up compared to the old "wet" versions, which is a shame.

Well I walked past initially looking for the plants waterfall and nearly missed them
I know what you mean, I did exactly the same thing...I even asked if they still sold plants, and was amazed when the shop assistant pointed to the display where the plant weir tank had been...right under my nose:rolleyes:
Nice to see tropica are trying to educate and I hope it works well for them. The only thing I notice is the price of these has bumped up compared to the old "wet" versions, which is a shame.
I noticed that too.
I think it'll probably take a while before people get used to the idea, in the meantime it might help if the display had a banner with a brief explanation. The display is already clean tidy and priced, which is half the battle;)

Just checked my local Pets At Home stores and there's no Tropica in any of them yet. Probably filter through to all their stores eventually.

In it's place is this below...:)

Going to my local in Cumbria tomorrow, I hope they are rolling this out across the country. I have a shop fitting company and tend to find that when a deal has been done between the retailer and a manufacturer the deal is done on a nationwide basis whereas they manufacturer will offer heavily discounted supply in turn for reserved floor space in all stores so I suspect all p@h will eventually have a display in each store.

Back