• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant I.D. Please

BarryH

Just found a video on YT showing fancy goldfish in a planted tank. Although a number of other viewers have asked the poster what the plants are he never seems to give an answer. He does answer other posts though.

Please excuse my ignorance but can I ask what are the "grass" like plants at the back of the tank in the YT video:

Look like Blyxa - most likely Blyxa japonica, but could be Blyxa aubertii.
They COULD be Helanthium tenellum parvulum (the green variety of H. tenellum), but not as likely.

Just going back on an old posting if I may. Now having looked at buying the Blyxa japonica, most sellers refer to it being sold in "bunches". Will this come the same as plants such as Elodea, without any roots?

I'm very dubious of those goldfish spending any amount of time in that tank - beyond the video shoot ;)
(someone in comments also implies goldfish were placed there for the video)

Blyxa tends to be more forgiving if purchased as the nursery grown pot version (not to be confused with the harvested from the outside pond yesterday, placed in a pot for sale version)

Thanks for all the help, really appreciated.

Alto, when you mention "nursery grown pot version", do you have any recommendations? I have bought plants that I expected to have roots only to find they were as you say, harvested yesterday and stuck in a pot.

Back