• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hidden Realms (65G)

jaHko

Hi everyone!

This is my second attempt on my 65G high tank (this was my first - Noobula - http://bit.ly/2i0USvC ) that I started up in September 2016. Tried to make use of the height of the tank this time round by going for a flooded tree stump nature aquarium look. It is a work in progress - lots of slow going plants - and thinking it needs at least about 6 months to fill out. Please feel free to make suggestions on plant type and placement.

Flora:
Bucephalandra Alamanda V1 Blue
Bucephalandra Broad Wavy
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. Balansae
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Tropica
Java Moss
Staurogyne Repens
Pogostemon helferi
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Anubias sp. Nangi
Anubias Barteri sp Nana ‘Petite’
Hydrocotyle Leucocephala
Eleocharis sp mini (temporary)
Micranthemum Monte Carlo
Cryptocoryne Pygmea (temporary)

Fauna:
28 Ember Tetras
4 Otos
6 Kuhli Loaches
1 Tiger Nerite
Various Shrimp (Black King Kong, Painted Fire Red, RCS, Blue Velvet, Amanos)

This is how it looks at the moment:

90H -1 .jpg

I wanted to create lots of secret / secluded little areas in the tank for the fish to explore. There is the main open front area, left/right back corners and two caves. I will try and upload some more images tomorrow after I've done the weekly maintenance.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Here are some additional pictures showing the sides and 2 caves. I had some trouble upload the pic even tho they adhered to to size and dimension restrictions so please excuse if they are odd sizes.

Left Side
Still not entirely sure what I want to do with this little nook. Have some hair grass and crypt pygmea just in there for the time being (extra from my old and other tank). Also want to move the crypt wendtii green.
90H Side.jpg

Right Side,
Bottom right corner will be kept open (not visible form front) for temporary plants - I don't like throwing it away , rather giving it away!
90H Side 2.jpg

Top Angle

90H Top Angle.jpg

The Main Cave

This cave is a passage to the other side of the tank (I added some light to the back with my phone so it can be seen more clearly) Just saw when I uploaded the photo that I forgot to properly clean the from glass!:D
90H Big Cave.jpg

Small Cave
This is a bit difficult to see properly - it's got a small opening but is quite large inside. I tried adding light from the front but alas - didn't help much.
90H - Small Cave.jpg

Critique is most welcome!

Last edited:
Quick update - my buce is finally flowering! First time I had any of my plants flowering

a3b04755081968f1e9d431cadfd288e4.jpg

Tank is a bit understocked at the moment and am looking to add something other than ember tetras - these guys simply doesn't want to spawn. Was thinking of adding some Pearl Danios - any suggestions on alternative peaceful community fish that won't eat shrimp is most welcome.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Absolutely wonderfull.. :) Looked it up a few times, what it is what makes anubias flower.. But it seems to be a little mystery.. I never managed to get one to do that.. Tho the Bucephalandras did few times and also for this plant i have no idea why it suddenly did and than stops doing it without things obviously changing..

The anubias are flowering non stop now - keeps on pushing out flower after flower. The buces have only flowered once. Don't know what triggers it - probably just an overall healthy tank with sufficient ferts at their disposal. Although there is a slight imbalance atm in my tank - see photo for GSA on Anubias leaves...

I've neglected the tank a bit as I was planning to break it down when we move - wife protested and wants to keep it - who am I to argue with that .
Anyway, did some maintenance today - cleared some plants to expose some of the wood which was completely overgrown.
Not happy with the foreground but will perhaps introduce Staurogyne Kerala with the Repens to make a mix "carpet" of sorts

Comment welcome!
e3625feb2de38b441c079ee0000b4668.jpg

Hi!
Only comment can be done is ... it looks amasing! Very nice work!
I particularly like the caves! I know how difficult is to get its and to keep clean.

Lovely tank, really healthy looking plant growth, and nice variation in texture and colour. Do the rams bother the shrimp?

Thanks for the compliments everyone - plant growth is doing ok but as plant biomass increased overtime I didn't keep up with dosing the right amount of ferts which caused an imbalance. Up close you can notice some deficiencies in the plant leaves aside from the GSA. Will try and post some better quality pics soon.

@Million - yes the Rams completely decimated my Black King Kong population ( had about 20 or so) - I knew the risk but like taking chances - have heard of some keeping them together without issues.

Last edited:
Back