• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Green Reaper

From one to two

19726938_10154754005177006_1707168674_o.jpg

Having teething problems as although they have both had a factory reset / running the same schedule, the newest one is running a few minutes earlier and at a differing intensity to my original unit.

Also struggling with CO2.

No, full power.

Though even with a thorough clean the output's dropped dramtically.

Glass surface skimmer installed, rid the surface scum in minutes, very impressed. Just the glass lily pipe to install now.

Oh and the GBRs have spawned already.

Have 2 - 300 free swimming GBR fry now, obviously none will make it but it's nice to witness.

I have Rotala Wallichi, Bangladesh, Rotundifolia and Macandra on their way courtesy of hogan53:)

Also tempted to try some Monte Carlo for the foreground - will my lights / setup be capable of sustaining it?

Added a few 'red rill' shrimp.

Crossing my fingers they don't become expensive fish food.

So the shrimp along with the other 6 I added have been wittled down to 1.

I'm considering removing the rams and replacing with CRS / Cherry shrimp

A few algae problems, maybe detritus on the substrate - maybe a wavemaker for more flow will help - thoughts?

Growth seems to be ok, HC is taking over, Salvinia natans going mad!

35516301124_a0f308a68d_b.jpg
20170803_111451 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

36351977775_2cdf512b99_b.jpg
20170803_111509 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

35516302074_8dd1e6e2a1_b.jpg
20170803_111147 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

I'll be listing this tank / equipment for sale in the classifieds this week.

Sorry to read this - hope all is well
:)

Tank certainly came along nicely

Decided to keep this going, though it's massively neglected atm due to job / in the process of moving / selling / training.

So no ferts (ran out, will replace), struggling with intake skimmer drawing air in, salvina natans taking over, CO2 playing up due to dodgy timer and infrequent water changes.

Here's a photo post trim, apologies for its poor appearance

20170824_123808.jpg

So, after a moving house, a crash, algae, neglect and ripping out all the hardscape - i'm back on it but this is where i'm at at the minute - help / thoughts and advice on how to proceed.

Currect equipment list :

60 x 45 x 45cm
Radion G3 freshwater x 2
Pressurised CO2
ADA Amazonia
All in one liquid ferts dosed daily
Liquid carbon dosed daily
25 litre WC change weekly (50% RO, 50% tapwater w/ Seachem Prime)

My thoughts are to use the manzanita branches or some malaysian bogwood, attached by suckers on the back wall to create a dramatic root effect planted with buces / anubias? Or should I go plant only jungle style with loads of stems?

38151120152_2f2feecda0_k.jpg
20171103_150806 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

Isn't this too much light and ferts for that few plants? I would cut back on both until you've got some growth going.

If you have spare wood, it sure as hell wouldn't hurt to add it and see how the scape looks. If you are like me and suck at aquascaping (you can't be that bad really) you can just go Dutch :)

I would add some rock pieces and maybe also some Marsilea hirsuta which will grow as a carpet quite quickly with the lights you have.

Cheers for the feedback Costa.

I've cut the intensity of the lights back by 20%, along with halving the amount of TNC ferts and Easy Carbo i'm using.

All the Java Fern melted away and i'm still torn as to wether to go all plants or have some hardscape in there too....

Man I so envy these Radion lights. But well above my budget.

Good luck with the scape. I have some ceratophyllum to send you if you need (but I'm based in Athens, Greece mind you). I think the combination of more plants with the hardware you have will make for a great aquascape with beautiful, lush plants.

Man I so envy these Radion lights. But well above my budget.

Good luck with the scape. I have some ceratophyllum to send you if you need (but I'm based in Athens, Greece mind you). I think the combination of more plants with the hardware you have will make for a great aquascape with beautiful, lush plants.

Costa - that's a very kind gesture thankyou.

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Now i've managed to sort the CO2 diffuser out (was blocked) and the drop checker is a nice lime green, my thoughts are turning to two aspects I need to tackle

1) Hardscape -
a) Do I go for 1 substantial piece of wood in the centre of off to the left such as cypress knee / malaysian driftwood / redmoor?
b) If so do I keep it central this time to improve flow?
c) Do I go for 3 / 4 smaller pieces of malaysian driftwood attached to the back of the tank via suckers to create a dramatic effect?

2) Water / CO2 flow and distribution
This IMO is a very under appreciated aspect of the success of a planted tank. I currently have an Eheim 350 which has a peak output of 1050 LPH, with head height loss I suspect this is more like 900 LPH which is bang on 10 times tank volume. The spraybar for this is on the left hand wall, sat about 2 cm under the water level, with the intake on the right hand side. However I feel more flow will help. I was thinking of a cheap ebay chinese powerhead situated halfway down the tank to improve flow at the bottom?

Also, due to the impending addition of a new family member - a Burmese kitten, i've had to 'kitten proof' the tank by covering the top, I know this will reduce gas exchange but unfortunately I have no choice. The plus side is I now have no surface protein film to remove on a daily basis.

Back