• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed hc

Hi guys. Has anybody use springtails to keep soil not too bad and used liquid carbon for algae in emersed setups at all please? Any point to this?

I have some Hc growing in a cube really well on a window sill but it's in normal soil getting boggy and algae slime, should I swap for Amazonia or is soil ok? Hard to water change it really, unless I used a small straw down the side, still get lots of algae.

Starting a few balls too for Wabis, how often do people change water realistically? Don't seem to need to spray much with the cling film over growing really well.

Cheers

You don't really want any water above the soil, in fact you just need wet soil.

So drier is better but not too dry? It's kinda wet but not massively boggy just from spraying. Is soil ok rather than Amazonia? Not read anybody using springtails yet but use them in terrariums all the time so made sense to me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep your emersed set up the same as your terrarium humid not wet

If you squeeze the soil it should hold the shape of a ball not be a muddy mess
Add springtails and start a journal let's see if they make any difference
But surely they will escape when you finally remove the cling film?

Keep your emersed set up the same as your terrarium humid not wet

If you squeeze the soil it should hold the shape of a ball not be a muddy mess
Add springtails and start a journal let's see if they make any difference
But surely they will escape when you finally remove the cling film?

Yeah I had thought that actually, not sure but they will probably escape yeah, hmm. Just tried to do something as so hard to change water with disturbance in there and algae grows even when a big boggy.

I figured more water meant higher humidity and less need to keep spraying daily if not around.

I never spray my immersed set ups, I keep them sealed or sometimes with just a small air hole, I use soil and & feed chicken manure every few weeks or months depending on how much growth I want or the time of year.
The plants need lots of humidity and light, 12-14 hours of artificial light.
I will move some outside in the next few weeks, then you can really see just how lush and fast the plants grow!
There is no room for algae in my set ups.....

P1110097.jpg

I never spray my immersed set ups, I keep them sealed or sometimes with just a small air hole, I use soil and & feed chicken manure every few weeks or months depending on how much growth I want or the time of year.
The plants need lots of humidity and light, 12-14 hours of artificial light.
I will move some outside in the next few weeks, then you can really see just how lush and fast the plants grow!
There is no room for algae in my set ups.....

P1110097.jpg

Thanks fox fish. You think dosing carbon would hurt while the HC grows a bit more? I thought that too when they grow more less time for algae. How long before the Hc takes the soil nutrients though? Then I'll have to dose ferts often or will stuff like baby bio do?

Interesting you put them outside - still covered or? Seem to do well in window this time of year!

I would keep covered too but cling film isn't all that designer for my lounge haha

Cling film works ok but you will get more rain forest effect (dripping water) from a polished piece of glass.
Yes outside in the warmer months, find a spot that gets lots of abeyant light but not direct sun all day.
Where I live in mid summer we get daylight for around 16-18 hours and that is when you need to fertilize every week.
I use chicken manure in dry pellet form, just sprinkle a little over the plants and it will dissolve into the soil.
HC grows very fast & will fill the tanks in a 4-6 weeks, it then needs to be removed or it starts to brown where the lower growth is to crowded to receive enough light.
If I want to grow HC I would only mix in some pellets at the start as the plant spreads so fast it will cover the floor & need to be re started before the fertiliser run out.

Keeping up with the emersed setup leaves starting to look a bit faded, in the propagators with john Innes 3 and tap water and added led light. Any ideas why it might be fading, too much light or? Tap water people said was fine but maybe I should use my filter tap I use for my tanks.

I noticed other plants are doing the same, I have some HC in Wabis that's is much drier soil, could it be too wet soil rotting?

Sorry for bad pic through the prop but shows the point I think.

Light I have on there is 8w https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00U5XF68S/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3fd4c1781146a45242cab080e779e6b0.jpg

Last edited:
Back