• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 levels by lights on time

Puntius

Hello everyone.

Just want to know the following. What is the default rule if such when it comes to co2 levels. I know you have to start your co2 an hour or two before your lights come on. Should your co2 drop checker already show a limegreen color for correct levels so plants can immediately start pearling soon after lights on. Have been out of the high tech stuff for a few years and would just like new info regarding how all the fellow plant pros are doing things these days. Also using t8 18w led 6500k tubes how many to use on a 4 foot tank. Please advise.

Thanks, looking forward to everyone's valued input.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Default rule is generally get your BBS rate for the colour change your after. Then start CO2 injection two hours before lights on. Not all drop checkers change colour as fast as others. I have one that takes about four hours to change light yellow lime green and is yellow by end of photo period, but if I use my pH controler to check the pH I have a good 1pH drop at lights on after two hour period.

As for how many T8 18w LED to use whats the size/depth of tank and type of LEDs you plan to use, plus what plants you planning will help

@Zeus thanks for your valued input so far.. Rather ask too many questions then to little. Is there an average bbs count. Im sure it all depends on each individual tank. So if lights come on 2 hours before lights on when should co2 go off an hour before lights of. Will post my tank tank size/depht tonight when I get home. Will mainly be low-medium plants for now though. The leds are 6500k color range

Is there an average bbs count. Im sure it all depends on each individual tank.

I'm afraid no. It's varied too much to have an "average" BPS. There are at least two factors involved. The bubble counter's opening, i.e., faster smaller bubbles vs slower bigger bubbles. And the much more important one: pressure. CO2 can be compressed very well that it becomes meaningless to use BPS to compare setups with different pressure requirements, e.g., ceramic diffusers vs reactors.

You can see how 10 PSI difference affects bubble rate in this video. Then imagine the difference between 10 PSI (reactors) vs 40 PSI (diffusers).

But you can definitely follow someone who uses the same setup as you. For example, if you're using an ADA's system, you can just follow their recommendation.

Pressurized CO2 is one of the most important components to achieving lush healthy growth in an aquascape. It is also one of the most difficult components to measure and estimate. There are a number of factors that lead to success and knowing is half the battle.

The Aquascaping Podcast; Episode 15 CO2: Part 1
?temp_hash=d7d6086ca9721783bfeb5796bc19ffca.jpg

The Aquascaping Podcast; Episode 16: CO2 Part 2
?temp_hash=d7d6086ca9721783bfeb5796bc19ffca.jpg

?temp_hash=c1c26e8cea8392c076ee25b1bfa963b7.png

oh and don't get too hung up on the drop checker. It can help get you in the ballpark (American saying I suppose) Anyways, where you need to go from there may be a large or small difference. The drop checker will not function in terms of changing and off gassing the same way your tank can. Most experienced folks get rid of them because they simply aren't that helpful. When just beginning though, they can help get you in the region. You will have to observe plant growth and fish response to find the sweet spot.

Best measure is to aim for an 1 point ph drop by the time the light comes on. Drop checkers are little more than a visual indication and are no way accurate.

Take a cup of water from the tank leave for 24 hours, measure ph of the cup. this is your base

switch on co2 2 hours prior to lights on. measure ph when the lights come on,

if less than 1 point different increase co2 a little at a time until you reach 1 point drop at lights on

Awesome input so far thanks everyone, let's make this one of those very informative threads. It will only help everyone at the end of the day.. Quick one, how long before lights off must you put your co2 off... Thanks again everyone...

Any other inputs on how long co2 must go of before lights off

Pressurized CO2 is one....
Excellent summary

High CO2 injection with surface agitation :cool: Dennis does have some great tanks and a very helpful aquascaper too :thumbup: we can all learn something from him.

Back