• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mission Bathtub 2017

Got something nice comming up. :)
Nymphoides pelatata is already flowering.
DSCF9212 (Medium).JPG

Hydrocleys nymphoides is bussy making them, that i didn't realy expect outdoor in european climate. Obviously it does if it is long enough warm enough it needs 21°c to flower water temp is still spot on.. :)
DSCF9217 (Medium).JPG

Calla palustris also not shy and about to flower. No idea yet what color var. i got. I think white, so it's going to look like a big anubias flowering. :)
DSCF9218 (Medium).JPG

And the Lobelia also bussy but not fully there yet.
DSCF9219 (Medium).JPG

to be continued..

Attachments

• DSCF9220 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF9220 (Medium).JPG
    506.3 KB · Views: 132
:)
DSCF9236 (Medium).JPG

DSCF9240.JPG

DSCF9267 (Medium).JPG

Did you notice the other flower? Nothing spectacular from the looks..

But still quite impressive to see it from Potamogeton Gayi :) Didn't expect it to do so well outdoor.. It absolutely grows like mad if planted in clay soil receiving sun light. From march till now it grow more mass and much faster than it grew indoors in 2 years time under artificial light in a high tech tank.
DSCF9268 (Medium).JPG

DSCF9260 (Medium).JPG

Water poppy? Maybe tomorow.. :) counting a few flower buds, one is already popping the surface.
DSCF9252 (Medium).JPG

Attachments

• DSCF9237 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF9237 (Medium).JPG
    424.8 KB · Views: 128
That it is...Mission Bathtub this year is a riot of colour and life...;)

Just come back from a stay in a cottage in Cornwall the owners had a magnificent garden with several ponds; this lily? was growing in one of them.
The floating leaves are only about 3-4cm in diameter give or take. I was going to ask what it's called and perhaps borrow a cutting or two :D but forgot :(
Any ideas?

35831529860_19402ee66f_b.jpg

That it is...Mission Bathtub this year is a riot of colour and life...;)

Just come back from a stay in a cottage in Cornwall the owners had a magnificent garden with several ponds; this lily? was growing in one of them.
The floating leaves are only about 3-4cm in diameter give or take. I was going to ask what it's called and perhaps borrow a cutting or two :D but forgot :(
Any ideas?

IMG_1418 by Tim Harrison, on Flickr

That's our native frogbit, Hydrocharis morsus ranae. Quite common around me on the Norfolk broads.

Really love this thread. I've just inherited a piece of my dad's allotment and there is a old bath (horrible avacado colour that must be 30 years old) so going to evict the herbs and turn it into a wildlife pond. So nice to have some inspiration.

Thanks guys.. :)
Really love this thread. I've just inherited a piece of my dad's allotment and there is a old bath (horrible avacado colour that must be 30 years old) so going to evict the herbs and turn it into a wildlife pond. So nice to have some inspiration.
Can't wait to see.. :thumbup: Beware it is adictive. :D

I want a second one next year, both setup in a 90° corner and connect them with a vacuum water bridge.. I already got my mind set upon a model i like. Still have to go and check if it is water tight or repairable if not.. :)

Hang a planted trickle filter at the top.
$_86.JPG

Slipper bathtub? :lol: Is called that? So you can slip/slide in?? These models are darn hard to find.. I hope he still has it when i find to time to go and look. But summer is ending, most people get these ideas in the spring time.. So i might just get lucky..

You've done it now...I hope it's still there, we're all expecting to see it in your lovely garden filled with water and all planted up :)

That's the plan.. :cool: I've did it to myself, woke up one mornng and i knew i had to have one..

There's something really nostalgic about Mission Bathtub reminds me of growing up ,farmers old enamel baths in fields for livestock full of wildlife,plants,newts frogs.Climbing into allotments to pinch strawberries ,water tubs full of aquatic life

Last edited:
There's something really nostalgic about Mission Bathtub reminds me of growing up ,farmers old enamel baths in fields for livestock full of wildlife,plants,newts frogs.Climbing into allotments to pinch strawberries ,water tubs full of aquatic life
It does for me too.. :) As a kid i always went to the farm to collect Daphnia etc. from the large stone watering throughs. Occasionaly i saw an old cast iron enemal clawfoot bathtub. Nowadays people pay a small fortune for it. These are particularly suitable as terrace pond but very rare to find. :) This was always the one i aimed for.. I know somebody having an old one in the cellar and it has damaged enemal, useless for home use and perfect for the garden. But the guy is not realy my friend, long time ago i told him he is an @ssh#le. Guess i spoiled my chances to ever get that tub.. :( :)..

So back to the sinc one.. :) My wish is granted, have to come back later on the day, both Nymphoides finaly flowering at the same day.
DSCF9313 (Medium).JPG

That Bog arums flower is still there almost a week now.. Lobelia cardinalis is actualy getting much to big almost 1,5 metre in height., it fall over it's own weight. And about impossible to keep the snails out, they travel over from other plants. I tried the Potamogeton natans in the small tank, i always expected it to grow to big for smaller indoor aquariums. But this plant seem to addapt to available surface area. In the tub the leaves get 4 times bigger than the one growing in the tank. I realy wonder how the heck plants do that? But this propperty makes thas potamogeton a suitable floater for smaller tanks. Also still hoping the little nymphoides in the tank to flower, i don't know which trop. sp. it is. But the red flamed leaves are nice.
DSCF9317 (Medium).JPG

2 salvinia sp.. :) Left is Salvinia cuculata, Right is Salviania natans.. They have a distinct color difference.. Cuculata is a bit more decorative with its cup shaped leaf it has i bit more texture.
DSCF9322 (Medium).JPG

It must do the soul the power of good to wake up to that every day :)
Yes it is.. :) It stands a few feet from my kitchen window, it's the first thing i see every morning making coffee looking into the garden. The grapes are also almost ready for harvest.
DSCF9323.jpg

And than while coffee is brewing i walk out to take a closer look for new surprices every day.. :) and see that i need to clean the terrace this afternoon, it's getting a bit to crowded in the cracks..

It actualy changes by the hour with these 1 day flowers.
DSCF9325 (Medium).JPG

I'm starting to notice that White long tail Goldfish is always up front in almost every picture.. She is one of the oldest and very curiously following me around all the time..

DSCF9329 (Medium).JPG

That is an awesome view, of an awesome garden...:)

Thank you Tim.. It's kinda wild life garden, don't do very much work in it.. Some cleaning out bit ugly weeds now and then.. I did yesterday after taking that pic. For the rest the soil in the garden is very sandy, it drains and dries out like hell and it doesn't grow everything very good. Mainly what does very good are those weeds you don't wanna have. (Grass killers) It took me a long time to find some long term plants :) Mainly ferns and also these have a lot trouble in hot summers.

Back