• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Forest Pathway

Welcome everyone in my second journal on this forum. For the last two years I've been working and experimenting with my Iwagumi project.
2480da2b9bd4d2f6dbc42e5a2a710d6c.jpg

Surprisingly I never got bored with it and only decided to change the layout as I wanted to create something slightly different, a bit more complicated and with use of wood. To be honest I didn't have any inspiration or idea how I want my tank to look like. First I wanted to see what materials I will be able to get and what I could make out of them in my 90x45x45cm aquarium. Below I will add some information about the setup and whenever have some time I will try to upload some photos, descriptions and hopefully I will catch up with the current progress.
So, some general info:
Tank And Cabinet - TMC Signature (900x450x450)
Light - ADA Solar RGB 130w
Filtration - Eheim 2180
CO2 - 5kg Fire Extinguisher, ViV diffuser
Substrate - ADA Amazonia
Ferts - Ferka
Plants - Micranthemum Monte Carlo, Micranthemum Micranthemoides, Eleocharis Acicularis Mini, Hygrophillia Pinnatifida, Hemianthus Callitrihoides Cuba, Aeshynomene Fluitans, Rotala Rotundifolia, Ludvigia Mini Super Red, Ludvigia Arcuata, Mini Pelia, Weepingand Christmas Moss, Fissiden Fontanus, Staurogyne Repens, Hydrocotyle Tripartita Sp Japan. (I coulud miss something)
Live Stock - Cardinal Tetra, Ember Tetra, Pygmy Corrydoras, Shrimps (Not decided, which one to add).

Last edited:
Wow, your iwagumi scape looks amazing. Can you post the link to your iwagumi journal please?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi
Your new scape is coming along nicely i seen sneak peak and it look really cool. You say it will be hard to maintain and that but once it plant grows in and nature take over its going to be amazing.

Keep us updated

Cheers
Ryan
Thanks Ryan. I hope it will look good otherwise I will have to rescape again ;)

Hi!

If next project will be at least at same level of art and tehnique with first, then your next jurnal will be very interesting.
Good luck!
It will definitely be something different but whether better or worse than the last one, let's wait and see.

So, just after making decision about rescaping in the middle of February it was time to buy some wood, rocks and other materials.
5d8674cbe14c104e2cc30cb3279a8ab0.jpg

Not to buy random pieces I tried to make something up even while in the shop.
a3b4f60dbaa99ff524677fe973e09e1f.jpg

Would that be my potential new layout? Possibly not, but it was all about excitement. All that counted was to bring some hardscape home ;)

My first thought was to create a layout with a central island. I put two pieces together on the floor and here we go, layout nearly ready :)
064dce532276b0a6823393af2eca4d53.jpg

The only problem was, I wanted something more complicated and possibly slightly different with some sort of perspective and depth. After scratching my head I eventually put two pieces together and thought - I will start taking it from there.
888e35f2cf099c9eaf3ae25a1739f61e.jpg

Even my son's board became useful :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second layout has more depth. But I like the first one also.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

In my case thinking about creating depth was one thing available space was another. I only had 450mm (-16mm glass) of available space but I wasn't willing to use very tiny pieces of wood just so the plants wouldn't be outgrowing it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After playing with a few remaining pieces of wood I finally found what I was hoping to find. A few not very nice pieces eventually started matching. From this moment I roughly knew how I would like the final scape to look like. All I needed was more wood.
038d7fe41ac409dc97eb60a8375fdeee.jpg

Looks to symetric for my taste... dont look natural. Everything in the wild nature usually are asymetric...
You are right. Everything looks quite symetric but I was planning to apply rule of golden ratio and a perspective to one point in the same layout and that's what was slowly coming out. Thanks for your input though.

Looking forward to seeing your new scape grow and flourish Konrad and also reading the journal recording its progress.

Hi!
First, the roots look very nice, you have a lot of possibilities.

In my opinion, if you still want to keep all together, maybe if you bring the small one in between the others, you will have a deepness effect but without symmetry.
The golden ratio is also related to the position of the main rock or root in relation with the lenght of the tank (somewhere at a third of it).
Another solution is to split them, and to get a main root and a small, second one. But it is up to you. Good luck!

Back