• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My kh is so ooooo high!! Please help!!

Planted Bows

Right guys I've just tested my water and the test I use are the tetra strip which I know aren't the most accurate. As from the pictures they give a ok result. All of my parameters are within the OK bit bar the kh which is off the chart.

How is this the case? I'm a bit rubbish with how water chemistry works however understand the basics so to speak.

I do a weekly water change of about 40% then topped back up with 30%Ro and 10%tap water to get my required TDS for my CRS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

133f2bda47875ca1aab8aef27acfee71.jpg
5f0e34ce78ae559d571404dc0b8b44ed.jpg

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Hi buddy
1. check the expiry date on your test kit.
2. Try another strip just incase the 1st was bad.
3. When you do your water changes, do you add any boiled water? Not distilled, boiled. I have the kettle on the go a lot when i do changes. One to balance the temp but boiling water lowers the kh.
4. Is your tank planted and do you have any bogwood in it?
5. You can get peat, put it in a pair of old stockings and tie it off. Add it to your external filter media.

Test strips really are not that accurate. I tried them and had the same issues. I use api master kits. I dont really test for gh or kh as my tanks have lots of wood and plants & and i add boiled water to my water changes. Hope all this helps. Others may have other ideas or opinions. Good luck

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Thank for getting back to me guys.

I think I'll purchase a better test kit and no Ive never thought of using boiled water. Should I replace the 10%cold tap water with that? My tank is planted and has a few bit of spider wood in it.

I was thinking the issue would have been the strips as I've never had issues before and yes I had the API master test kit before with no issues at all.

I add it by the bucket load but its for the temp of the water mainly for me. 2 birds one stone. Never used RO water. Are you losing fish etc?

Not one fish loss tbh bud. Just get worried about parameters sometimes as never had it this high. But again the strips are most likely to blame lol

Sounds like it. If your fish and plants are ok dont worry. They will tell you when something bad is happening. Have you got pucs of your tank?

Yeah I'm thinking the same. More stem plants at the back or something. I have crypts at the back but I think something more will be better?

Looks very nice, indeed. Stem plants can help you to control the water chemistry too.
Right now I am making a small trial in my 100 liters tank with Ceratopyllum demersum.
Although is a floating plant, if is fixed on a small rock, like a bush, look great. It is very delicate and
have a nice light green color. The only disvantage is that it need to be cut 2-3 times per week,
to keep it under the water. Maybe you want to try it. In the back of the roots could look great by
contrast with brown.

I will send some this afternoon, when back from office. I will send you also something nice with Pogostemon Helferi that evolved
in a nano very different that usual. It is a possible solution for the corner.

Here are the pics. Pease note that I cut it two days ago and now is back close to the surface of the water.

nVuYsUJ.jpg

Next one is about Pogostemon Helferi. I've notice that, if it is close to a stone, the aerian roots attaches itself on the stone, like an Anubias. I've tried to move one and it was stuck on the stone. Very interesting, this is not mentioned in any description of the plant. ... and it is already over 15 cm tall.

0x35l7g.jpg

That looks lovely mate. Might have to order so of this. Very different to most other plants.

Back