• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windows 10, anyone else having issues?

Back again :D Just checking here because I might be on to something. I've discovered that if I just run the exe. file from the creators edition iso that I downloaded that it gave me the option to use the usb stick to help with installation and appeared to be working but I bottled it because I hadn't backed up my recovery partition. So just checking on the Macrium settings, I'll bring things up to speed...

Firstly I reset the laptop to factory defaults, turns out doing this gave me 15gig of space on the C drive, turns out the recovery partition is only 400mb or so in size so to make sure updates didn't start downloading I knocked wifi and went through the usual disk clean up operations and uninstalled any gubbins software that came pre-installed to free up even more space.

Installed Macrium and used the Wizard to create an image that would restore my pc to factory defaults on my hard drive and backed this up to another computer, however, the iso it created is only 275mb is this normal? Currently doing the same again creating an image that can backup or restore windows on to a 8gig usb stick rather than a file and that is 50% done as we speak. Are the backups a lot smaller than the actual partitions they are backing up?

Plan is if I know I can restore to factory which should be even better now with all the crap off I might give the update another try tonight. If not I might just update it and leave it where it is. My understanding with M$ is that if you can't update to creators edition 1705 security updates will still be supported until 2023 same as if you had upgraded from Windows 8 although this is a bit vague.

Tadaaa
Install.PNG

What took you so long? :p
Haha, don't get me started. I'll post up how I went about it in a bit just in case anyone else finds themselves in the the same position. What I found when searching for answers was that no one actually got to the end, plenty asking not many solutions.

Strangely, when I delete the old copy of Windows from temp files which I haven't done yet just in case the full install will actually be smaller on the drive than the original out the box and seems to be a bit nippier but I haven't installed any other software yet. The whole situation could be quite easily avoided for low space users if ms implemented the update procedure better. You have the download which then writes to a temp file and then the install which takes about 25 gig all in all, would be better if they implemented the USB drive better so the install ran from the stick rather than the c drive.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Try downloading CCleaner this is a great tool to get rid of all temp files etc....
Also install 360 Total Security, has some great tools to make your system faster and also clear a lot of wasted files (run Full Check, Speed Up, Clean Up and under Tool Box run System Backup Cleaner)

Also un-install unused software to generate some space!

Big thanks LondonDragon! On a whim I read some of this thread and saw your advise above. I d/loaded CCleaner and it made a real difference to my laptop. Boot time was 2.07mins, now it's 35sec.

Big thanks LondonDragon! On a whim I read some of this thread and saw your advise above. I d/loaded CCleaner and it made a real difference to my laptop. Boot time was 2.07mins, now it's 35sec.
Together with 360 Total security makes a bigger difference, no windows machine should take more than 30 seconds to boot ;) I have a Windows 10 machine booting in around 10 seconds ;)

booting in around 10 seconds ;)
Mine does too, but have to admit,it does with a i7 quadcore CPU, 8 gig memory and 64bit OS.. Actualy rarely need to use Ccleaner on this one and only still use it because of old habbit.
I d/loaded CCleaner and it made a real difference to my laptop.
Also see "Old prefetch data" this is by default unchecked.. Prefetch are files windows loads into memory when you launch an application. It keeps this in memory in case you launch it ever again, than it launches faster (they say) but this folder can get cluthered over time. If you have little memory, cleaning out this folder once in a while can make a littla additional speedup. :)

But if you installed lite edition it could be prefetch service is dissabled already. Which actualy can render the system also a bit unstable as well (too lite).. At least it did in XP times. I'm not familiar with the higher lite versions.

I use this to clean up windows after doing updates

Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

Just run command prompt and copy the above command, then let it do its bit.
I saves 6Gb by using this.
As for Macrium you need to select your windows 10 drive click on it and a dropdown box will appear then select "image this drive only".

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    73.9 KB · Views: 110
Back