• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

495litre - Simple

Hi all,
F... the plants , especially for wild caught discus , they've never seen any !
I know there aren't any plants (other than floating ones) in the areas where Discus are collected at low water, but I think they will see plenty of plants when they are foraging in the flooded forest during high water.

In Crampton's 2008 paper <"
In volumetric terms, Symphysodon haraldi appeared to feed predominantly on a mixture of algal periphyton, fine organic detritus and green plant matter. These three categories were combined into a single category because of practical difficulties in separating them. Nonetheless, green plant matter in the form of triturated leaves probably represented no more than 15% of the total volume (a crude estimate). Of the remaining material, it was hard to distinguish between partially digested periphyton and fine organic detritus - which comprises mainly decomposing plant residues.
Ecology and life history of an Amazon floodplain cichlid: the discus fish Symphysodon (Perciformes: Cichlidae)">, it says that their lives are basically on hold at low water until the water rises again.
...During the low water period, discus in Uxi Bay and lago Urini were only captured in galhadas or flooded shore scrub. None were found on muddy or sandy beaches (48 seine nets), on beaches vegetated with wild rice (Oryza) (20 seine nets), in patches of Cyperus (55 m2 with seine net), or in open lake water (210 m2 gill net x 10 nights)....
...At high water, discus colonies dispersed into flooded forests and dense shore scrub. Samples of the galhadas containing the single large discus aggregation in Uxi Bay were conducted on 1 December 1998, 2 weeks (and a 2.5 m water level rise) after the colony was last sampled. No discus were encountered, even though the net was still able to reach the bottom and efficiently sample the galhada. During nightly observations in flooded forests during the high water period, discus were often seen alone or in groups of up to six, but never in larger groups. During the peak of the flood season 82% (237/289) of discus were seen in dense shore scrub or in forests with trees of moderate height (< 15 m). The remaining 18% were found in more shaded igapó forests dominated by high trees (15 - 25 m)....
......Periphyton comprises multi-species filamentous algal communities covering the branches and leaves of flooded forests. Periphyton represents a major form of primary production, and an important source of energy for floodplain fish populations...
cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Apologies I don't quite know what happened with the formatting of that post, it should have said:
In Crampton's 2008 paper <"Ecology and life history of an Amazon floodplain cichlid: the discus fish Symphysodon (Perciformes: Cichlidae)">, it says that their lives are basically on hold at low water until the water rises again.
In volumetric terms, Symphysodon haraldi appeared to feed predominantly on a mixture of algal periphyton, fine organic detritus and green plant matter. These three categories were combined into a single category because of practical difficulties in separating them. Nonetheless, green plant matter in the form of triturated leaves probably represented no more than 15% of the total volume (a crude estimate). Of the remaining material, it was hard to distinguish between partially digested periphyton and fine organic detritus - which comprises mainly decomposing plant residues.
cheers Darrel

@dw1305

Thank you Darrel! Very interesting read.

@Eduard18

I did consider going Amazonian biotope. Having checked around the various setups... decided to just follow my heart and go with a planted layout instead.

But that's not to say that I won't go to a black water look at some point down the road. I do follow Tannin Aquatic on instagram. They have some awesome setups.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I did consider going Amazonian biotope.

This whole biotope concept is a bit of a strange misconception anyway imho. No matter how big a tank is, compaired to nature it is just a very tiny snapshot of a certain scenery.. But the biotope is actualy the whole package, the jungle and the river or stream over it's intire length. The living creatures in it aren't living stanionairy in one particular few cubic meter spot. They live a nomadic life, and travel from one biotope to another biotope if you would like to view it like that. But in reality it is one biotope that changes.. So to a certain degree you already have a biotope tank.. :) Even more if you only plant and stock from the same region..

This whole biotope concept is a bit of a strange misconception anyway imho. No matter how big a tank is, compaired to nature it is just a very tiny snapshot of a certain scenery.. But the biotope is actualy the whole package, the jungle and the river or stream over it's intire length. The living creatures in it aren't living stanionairy in one particular few cubic meter spot. They live a nomadic life, and travel from one biotope to another biotope if you would like to view it like that. But in reality it is one biotope that changes.. So to a certain degree you already have a biotope tank.. :) Even more if you only plant and stock from the same region..

Unfortunately, I don't plants and stocks from the same region.. I just have plants and stocks that we (my family) like and are pleasing to the eye! :)

Unfortunately, I don't plants and stocks from the same region.. I just have plants and stocks that we (my family) like and are pleasing to the eye! :)
That's much more important. The fish don't mind. Fortunately.. :) But i know the feeling.. Tho my idea of biotope is different i think more in themes.. So i liked an Asian (India/Mayamar) theme.. But financial strains ruined the idea and had to choose Anubias instead of Bucephalandra as epiphyte. A plaster on the wound was finding a picture from an Anubias growing in the wild in Indonesia. As we have excotics growing in our nature they have too.. If it is introduced by men, then it is part of the biotope, since we are part of it too. :thumbup: So what the heck i did also put a bolbitis in and a cultivar nymphaea. These things happen in reality so why not in my biotope tank.. :rolleyes:

Then on the other hand i see people claiming to have a biotope tank and throw in local Alder cones and oak leaves..

Last edited:

I can't speak for all fishes; but it's known in a couple of rivers I frequent, and was stated in a couple of decent books that fish (primarily Barbel) would if not engaged, or predated would spend their entire life within the run of a group weeds.

I can't speak for all fishes; but it's known in a couple of rivers I frequent, and was stated in a couple of decent books that fish (primarily Barbel) would if not engaged, or predated would spend their entire life within the run of a group weeds.

If it has no migratory instincts to breed, it'll probably follow it's nose for shelter and food.. If one of the 2 runs out it has to move or its life is soon over.
And if there is enough of it, why would it move.. :)

But i more mean to say that even a almost plantless lake or river part, likely has parts or other feeding rivers and streams where plants still do make up a great deal of that biotope in the big picture, marginal vegitation included. So creating a 1000 litre snapshot of a scenery without plants is heardly to call an accurate biotope. If you to come closer to that, you would need to create a riparium with marginal vegitation and no submersed growth. :)

Quick update. For sharing please.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
29cbf35c3c325099ef07fe3b8a9aa3cb.jpg

Back