• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

recovering tropical expat with an empty tank in London

Blue Moon

Seedling
Hello, just joined. Have recently moved back to London after a decade in Southeast Asia, where I had a huge 5ft planted community of local rainbows. Now I have an empty 3ft tank that has been staring at me for months, waiting to be landscaped. Procrastinating as can't decide how to do it: currently thinking of either an Amano-style grass bed with a lone bogwood tree, small tetra and maybe a betta (but not confident I can pull it off and maintain the look), or a wilder African river look with some jewel cichlids (but never kept aggressive cichlids).
So joined for ideas and inspiration!

Attachments

• rainbow fish.jpg
    rainbow fish.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 78
Hello, just joined. Have recently moved back to London after a decade in Southeast Asia, where I had a huge 5ft planted community of local rainbows. Now I have an empty 3ft tank that has been staring at me for months, waiting to be landscaped. Procrastinating as can't decide how to do it: currently thinking of either an Amano-style grass bed with a lone bogwood tree, small tetra and maybe a betta (but not confident I can pull it off and maintain the look), or a wilder African river look with some jewel cichlids (but never kept aggressive cichlids).
So joined for ideas and inspiration!

Hello and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilder African river look with some jewel cichlids (but never kept aggressive cichlids).

This tank is on the small side for jewel cichlids & if you have a successful pair, you'll soon be overrun with fish, make sure there's a local shop that would like juvenile jewels ;)
They also are not all that compatible with a specific "look" planted tank - with any of the bigger cichlids/fish you'll need to plant according to what these fish will not eat, dig up, bash about etc
(why so many planted tanks have small fish :lol:)

If you want some cichlid fun in that tank size, consider the dwarfs such as Apistogramma, Dicrossus filamentosus etc
Seriously Fish offers excellent fish species information (very little of it is incorrect or "opinion" ;) )
Apistograma.com also offers outstanding information -eg, if you want information on A borellii, just input borellii into the search engine & check the "titles only" box

Happy Fishing
:)

Back