• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low-tech bioscaper from Canada

Bart Hazes

Hi fellow aquatic planters

I learned the ropes in The Netherlands from 1975-1995 and just got back into the hobby a year ago here in Edmonton, Canada. I run my tanks old-school, all without filter, some without circulation pump and some without anything (sunlight no heater). Plants, especially floating plants, are used as filter in my 14 tanks that I use to keep and breed wild-caught Apistogramma and other South American dwarf cichlids. As a scientist I also like to run experiments in my tanks and write blogs about what I learn at biodives.com/blog. That is how I ended up here as some of the UKAPS members had a very thoughtful discussion about my blogs on running bright light tanks without CO2 or fertilizer and running plant-filtered tanks.

Running low-tech 'jungle-style' planted tanks is just one of many different ways to enjoy this hobby. Not recommended for everyone or suitable for everything but an attractive alternative that is not as well advertised as I think it should be. Minimal water changes and messing around in tanks is IMO beneficial for keeping and breeding fish and so far it has served me well. I look forward to finding out what this forum has to offer and contribute what has worked and failed for me.

Here is a 50 gallon Peruvian biotope tank (120x60x30) that runs without filter or circulation pump. It uses unwashed, but pretty sterile, pool filter sand without dirt or root tabs and near-100% surface cover of Salvinia natans and frogbit. Submerged plants (Heteranthera zosterifolia, Mayaca fluviatilis, Myriophylum brassiliense, Helanthium quadricostatus & tenellum, Echinodorus bleheri) are in extremely dark conditions under the floaters but still growing.

<oops, it doesn't like my image file extension (.jpg) I'll sort this out and post later>

Bart

PS: I used 'bioscaper' instead of 'aquascaper' since I like to let nature guide me in what the tank looks like.

Last edited:
Welcome and really looking forward to your endeavours. I think the picture upload is ok with .jpg, could be wrong though so maybe check the image size. I think there is a limit on file sizes.

Welcome and really looking forward to your endeavours. I think the picture upload is ok with .jpg, could be wrong though so maybe check the image size. I think there is a limit on file sizes.
I reduced the size to be less than 1600 pix on the longest side and it still didn't let me. I'll get it sooner or later but are getting a big shipment of fish tomorrow so am a bit distracted getting all tanks ready for them right now.

Hallo Dr. Bart.. Welkom bij UKAPS. Nice blog BTW.. Already pondering several years over the same concept. Since i keep several planted water bodies in the garden recieving full sun light most part of the day, which always react and behave completely different than the 3 artificialy lit indoor tanks. It surprices me every year again. Exciting to read that somebody with a scientific degree is seriously experimenting and looking into this with how and why questions.. :) Looking forward to it..

Hello, look forward to hearing from you both here and on your blog with your endeavours.

Good luck.

Back