• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Experimenting with Ei Ferts

BarryH

As I mainly keep fancy goldfish, one of the problems I have is keeping plants alive, the only one I have any success with at all is Elodea.

To see if Ei would help at all, I planted a 60l tank heavily with bunches bought from the LFS about three weeks ago. Since then I have dosed the tank with the APF starter kit at their recommended dose along with Excel liquid carbon.

The Elodea has been growing rapidly, probably a bit too rapidly if anything and is starting to get leggy if that's the correct term. The gaps between the sets of leaves are further apart than when I first planted them. If I were to halve the dosage, would that be any better than the results I'm getting now?

I've just started dosing the APF starter kit and I was wondering why your dosing liquid co2? Do you inject co2? I thought the kit was all you need bar the injection of co2?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I thought I'd read on here that if the plants were fertilised they would also need some form of carbon. Probably got it totally wrong though.

Bummer I've just thrown my easy carbo down the sink lol. It was old anyway. So woukd you suggest dosing that aswell as ei ferts and injecting co2??

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Yes i used to dose 10ml every other day in my 300ltrs. It is a algae inhibitor to.
I found some plants would respond really well to the liquid as well as the gas buces seen to respond really well to it. Makes them flower more readily in my experiance.

Thanks for the help Ian. Does liquid carbon affect different plants in different ways?

E I is a method for dosing nutrient's rather than a brand of fertilizer's..
Is EI method for low tech (reduced amount's), and or high tech CO2 higher lighting but feel clarity should be made that there are not really any EI fertz as title of thread suggests.
Enough confusion now for dosing schemes for many to ponder.
EI appears to work well as a method of ensuring that nutrient's are not wanting and can be tweaked for your/my application.
Truth betold,nearly everyone after a time ,,does their own tweaking. But is good place to start before considering or practicing nutrient limitation IMHO
Especially for new hobbyist's, who might rather consider limiting fertz out of some fear's rather than lighting period's/intensities.

Back