• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filtration for EA aquascaper 900 200L tank

roryf

Hi everyone!

I am looking to buy an EA aquascaper 900 as stated in the title,

I want to use lilypipes and a pressurised filter for filtration, however I was looking at a fluval FX6 and the pipe sizes just don't work for me!

So I need to follow the 10x flow rate rule which takes my filtration needs up to anflow rate of 2000LPH or maybe 1600 after taking into account the rocks and soil I'll be using in the tank.

Does anyone have any suggestions for filtration that can meet my needs of connecting to lily pipes and preferably not running 2 different filters to meet the requirement?

Or I guess I could use a powrhead in the tank to move water around too?

Cheers, Rory.

Rory

I should have stated last night in my thread reply - that the LPH stated by filter manufactures is when there is no filter media within the canister, I had a Eheim 2080 filter LPH was about 1850 (i think) once the media was added the flowrate decreased by half :wideyed:.

A lot the guy's on the forum just buy a filter (a good make) and add circulation pump just to increase the flow rate around the tank or they have twin filter running. Might be worth while buying two medium priced filters to start of with.

Paul

I purchased an EHEIM Thermo Filter professionel 3e 600T -2178, have not setup the tank yet, but did have it running on it for 3 weeks and the flow was pretty good, heater was great also, less equipment in the tank. But most people would say that two smaller filters would probably be a better option as you would have better control of the flow, but more pipes going in!

I purchased an EHEIM Thermo Filter professionel 3e 600T -2178, have not setup the tank yet, but did have it running on it for 3 weeks and the flow was pretty good, heater was great also, less equipment in the tank. But most people would say that two smaller filters would probably be a better option as you would have better control of the flow, but more pipes going in!

Thanks for the reply LondonDragon.

Do you think the Eheim professional 3e 2078 model rated at a Pump Output of 1850 ltr would do the job?

I have seen people saying different things regarding the 10x flow rate rule. Such as it takes into account flow restriction (E.G I need to buy a filter or pump rated at 2000LPH) as the 10x rules takes into account that a filters flow will be restricted due to media and so forth.

I do have a small powerhead I can pleace in the tank if need be, however I would like to have just 1 set of lily pipes and nothing else entering the tank!

I think once I scape the tank the total water volume will only be around 160L or so anyway.

Cheers, Rory.

Flow rate is the same as the 600T, it should be fine all depends on the type of layout, extra powerhead will help for sure, I have a couple also that I might use if I see necessary, I also do not want too many lilly pipes in the tank. 10x flow is not really a requirement in a planted tank, again it all depends on the type of layout.

Flow rate is the same as the 600T, it should be fine all depends on the type of layout, extra powerhead will help for sure, I have a couple also that I might use if I see necessary, I also do not want too many lilly pipes in the tank. 10x flow is not really a requirement in a planted tank, again it all depends on the type of layout.

Okay, so do you think I could get away with buying a smaller filter such as a fluval 406 and just having a powerhead? That could save me £200!

I'll make a thread on my setup when the tank arrives too.

Okay, so do you think I could get away with buying a smaller filter such as a fluval 406 and just having a powerhead? That could save me £200!
Nope I was talking that filter and a powerhead! or you can add two of those filters which would probably work out better!

Hi!
I am planing to buy an Eheim e 1200 XLT for next tank (400 litters) so that will be my first experience with Eheim (hope not to have problems because I will have all load with biological filter medium and inside the tank will be only shrimps and small fish). What I can tell from my experience with an e901 is that, after I replaced all sponges with different filtration medium (Matrix and Siporax) keeping only original balls, the flow rate has increased significantly. Even with a prefilter, flow rate stays good. So, in my opinion, it depends of the filter medium and the shape of the hardscape, plants, position of IN and OUT but more than everything the organic matter content of the water ex. number and size of the fish. For a good biological filtration there is two conditions more important than flow rate that should be esured : a certain retention of the water in the filter and largest contact surface that can be obtained. Well planted tank also help, as Dragon said, especialy if main of the plants will be fast growing like stem plants. But again, for a good biological filtration it is more important to have a large contact surface of the water with medium in the filter than to have a small one but with a high flow rate. I read about people that are using two filters : one for mechanical filtration and one for biological filtration. Could be a solution too ...

I did like Silviu Man did with my Fluval FX6 3500L/H -put better biological media in :thumbup:. My tank is 500L so x10 needed 5000L/H so put a ehiem 3000+ independant line on as well, along with a custom spray bar on short end of tank as tank is a room divider. With the hardscape I have done the Flow I get with the FX6 alone in the tank is so good planning on trying it with that alone. At present I dont have the Eheim on all the time just when boosting the CO2, short while after auto dosing ferts and when air stone on at night. I also have a complex plunbing/pipes setup which i slightly over sized the pipes to help reduce friction/resistant too. So my FX6 is under the x10 rule however I think its still plenty good enough.

Did some Vids of flow in tank here

To control the flow of the water I've done something similar in my 100 litters tank using the skimmer (Eheim micro) and adding to the OUT of the skimmer a 90 degrees pipe just oposit of the spray bar and oriented to the internal prefilter. By the way, Atyopsis make that area their own land! ;)

Back