• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Planted Tank - Roma 200?

schmellic

Seedling
Hi,

So I'm thinking of starting my first tank in a long time (had one previously about 15 years ago!) but this time I'd like to go planted.

I'm thinking of buying a Roma 200 LED and after reading a lot of the guides on this forum (which are great), am ready to take the plunge

Hoping to go high-tech, and just wanted some experienced peeps advice before I start on the best equipment / set-up to go for. Is this too big a tank for my first planted? Can I use the standard lighting or will it need to be upgraded? Should I start with a low-tech and work on up from there?

Thanks in advance :) Hopefully buying the tank in the next few days and then begin amassing the equipment I need!

Cheers
Paul

I encourage you consider which tank, filter, lights carefully - all in one kits may look budget friendly, until you begin to examine each component ... unless each component suits your goals, an AIO kit can become the more expensive route

The Roma 200 is not the easiest tank if you want to go high tech planted, the 55cm height means high intensity LED is needed to obtain high light/PAR at substrate level & that is certainly not what's included in the kit :rolleyes:
(instead think Kessil, Ecotech etc) - I'd strongly suggest a 45cm height tank instead, much more budget friendly to light for high substrate PAR, several decent light brand options

You'll likely also want an external canister filter - more flexibility in positioning the inlet/outlet for suitable flow (everywhere) in the aquarium, also most internal filters lack the flow "power" & seldom "polish" the water to the same degree as an external filter (re basic mechanics of the filter design)

Look through the journals here, take note of the filters, lights used on the scapes that appeal

What's your budget? a tank this size means much higher costs than beginning with an ADA 60P (or similar) tank, not just hardware & substrate & scaping materials, but also plant start-up costs (general recommendation is to begin with "heavily planted" from the beginning)

Do you have a local shop with planted tank displays? or at least aquarium & equipment displays?

mmm thanks for the info, the reason for choosing the Roma was more that the cabinet and style fitted with the room rather than the fact it was an all in one kit. I was already going to sell on the filter and use an external filter as you suggest. As for budget I guess around £700-£800??? (The Roma was around £400 and then I'd estimated another few hundred on further equipment)

I'll have a look at shorter, tank only options - any recommendations?

I had a Roma 200 as my 1st tank (few years ago now) had no problems with the height and lack of growth and that was with the 2 T8 tubes that come with it. It just meant a slower growth rate.
I had 2 external filters, with spray bars along the back, 1 of which had an inline diffuser.
ADA aquasoil... just get your basics right and learn from the stickies in the tutorial,
I think I have a couple pics somewhere of 1st setup.....
spraybar.png

Plantsadded1.png

I've got a juwel trigon 190, it's got two HO tubes and a height of 60 cm. I find I can't keep red plants going long term, carpets are also not great and I assume it is due partly to the height of the tank so it is something to think about. Can grow many easier varieties though.
I'm starting a Ada 45 shortly so I'll soon be able to say if it's my inadequacies on the knowledge front or the high tank lol.

Hi Deansie, are you sure it isn't due to the lack of flow to certain areas.
With it being deeper it possibly has flow restrictions to lower levels? If some plants are ok I'd guess it's more to do with flow/nutrients/Co2 etc?

Hi Toadass, it possibly could be as the corner tanks have a reputation for being trickier to get the flow and distribution right. Easier plants grow anywhere but red plants with not last anywhere lol. As I say though you may be right. I have a 2000lph external on. Spray bar and an additional internal powerless on a spray bar so not for the lack of trying lol. I'm happy to keep easier plants only it it now anyway.

had a Roma 200 as my 1st tank (few years ago now) had no problems with the height and lack of growth and that was with the 2 T8 tubes that come with it. It just meant a slower growth rate.

Nice plants :) but I don't see any that are "difficult" - I assume the OP wants to able to grow Elantine hydropiper & brilliant reds ..... & there are easier tanks to work with than the Roma 200 - in which the 12.5 watt LED sounds to be very much in the "low light" category, the (light) tubing material also looks to be poor transmission & the listed watts seem suitable for fish viewing only
Compare that 12.5 watt LED with Fluval's Fresh & Plant 2.0 which lists 46 watt for a similar length LED unit

Fluval has definitely put out a decently priced kit but I wish they'd mention on their packaging & promotional photos, video etc, any lighting & other accessories used to produce those aquascapes :wideyed:

I have a journal may have to skip a few pages to find it but i have a roma 200

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys, @toadass your setup looks great :) @Pricey32 I'll check out your Journal now! Pets @ Home are selling the Roma 200 with cabinet for £300 at the mo... so potentially have some spare cash to upgrade the lights...

I have my 130L tank on a big thick oak side unit from Oakland FS (not meaning to advertise or anything there). So don't limit yourself with regards to stands. As long as the unit is solid, can sit level, has storage etc, then it doesn't have to be a stand specifically made for aquariums.

Here is a pic of my stand, as you can see we bought it to fit with the style of the room and door colours (please excuse the messy tank, it's due an overhaul when I can get my big pregnant body to agree with doing it. And excuse the added children's paraphernalia.)
cd7e8261c780f0a3f34db5d168483ebf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my 130L tank on a big thick oak side unit from Oakland FS (not meaning to advertise or anything there). So don't limit yourself with regards to stands. As long as the unit is solid, can sit level, has storage etc, then it doesn't have to be a stand specifically made for aquariums.

Here is a pic of my stand, as you can see we bought it to fit with the style of the room and door colours (please excuse the messy tank, it's due an overhaul when I can get my big pregnant body to agree with doing it. And excuse the added children's paraphernalia.)
cd7e8261c780f0a3f34db5d168483ebf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNAP
1503602505757203009150.jpg

Back