• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Contact ...

Deanne

Just saying hi. New to all this, just cycling my first shrimp tank, hoping to get a few cherries to see if I've got the basics ok. My tank is currently holding a few clumps of Java moss and 5 MTS, which gives me something to watch while I wait. I'm pretty used to fiddly things, as up to now I've been a beekeeper, but I'm looking for a new hobby as problems with my back are making lifting beehives a hazard.

Just make sure you use the drip method to acclimatize the shrimp before adding them to your tank and they should be fine. Cherries are usually pretty hardy and adaptable unless your water parameters are very skewed

It's very hard, 14 from the tap. I'm cutting it with 20% clean rainwater which takes it down to 10. I keep closed rainwater tanks for my carnivorous plants, its all from my greenhouse roof, so not too bad. I stand for 24 hours then treat it with Stresscoat. I've made a drip acclimator so I'm prepared! The mineral stones, are they mainly for the really sensitive shrimp or still required for the plain old cherries? My waters so hard if it gets any harder it'll set!

Hi, do you have a tds pen? When cutting hard water or adding minerals to soft water it is a good idea to use a tds pen so you can achieve the same tds each time. Shrimp like stability. I'd be looking for a tds between 200 and 400.
I use rain water for my shrimp tank and remineralise with salty shrimp. I doubt you'd need mineral rock with hard water.
Remember when topping up your tank to use straight rain water or your tds will creep up.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back