• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bonsai help

Nick16

Hi,

Not sure if anyone on here is knowledgable when it comes to Bonsai trees?

Im looking at getting one for my desk at work, but usure if the conditions are right.
Its a light and airy office and i am about 10ft from floor to ceiling windows on two sides so should get natural light too.

I know they are very slow growing so im guessing lighting doesnt have to be too high, likewise with watering and ferts.

Can anyone shed some first hand tips?

Thanks

Edit - i gave read they dont like being indoors and specifically in artificial office environments

There is no such thing as an indoor tree, all trees live outside but some semi tropical ones will cope with being inside... for a time at least.!
Bonsai need rain, wind, humidity, cold or dry conditions, conditions that they live in, outside, where they live.
I sometimes bring my bonsai inside for an evening so I can look at them or show them off at a dinner party.
However, there are a few like ficus that can do quite well. We all know how difficult it can be trying to duplicate nature in your house...

Indeed most traditional Bonsai tree sp. require a frost period.. For indoor you are bound to (sub) tropical sp. and some evergreens like Podocarpus macrophyllus is a very common conifer bonsai. As foxfish sais Ficus is ofetn to find as little bonsai.. Citrus sp. are also possible.. :) Other less traditional Bonsai sp. came into the hobby/trade to grow indoors are Carmona microphylla but absolutely not a beginner Bonsai. Zanthoxylum and Ligustrum seem to be easier. But i am a bad bonsai keeper i always manage kill them.

If you want something easy and relatively good growing try a Crassula :) It's a suculent plant sp. But it can be bonsaied a bit and looking alike.. Especialy the C. Ovata is suitable..
Crassula_ovata_bonsai.jpg

I've had one for many years and became pretty big.

Last edited:
On the Japan series when it showed the bonsai museum were centuries old bonsai were on display,one dating pre Middle Ages I think they did say they had to perfect the correct temperatures ,conditions as they ,as I think it was how valuable irreplaceable they are,had to remain in display position. There was also a family run business that was on,looked very much like a ordinary garden centre, except all bonsai ,they as I remember all outside open to the elements.The work that they put into the ready for sale bonsai after the timescales involved was admirable.I once recieved one a gift from someone,it didn't make it ,still got the pot sadly just home for a few pebbles

I think i will forget the bonsai idea.
im after something that will look great on my desk at work, and bonsai trees fit that bill nicely. I didnt put much thinking into their natural conditions!
I dont want a small droopy potted plant but something that looks a bit more elegant (if that makes sense)
A small citus tree would look fantastic, again im not sure if conditions are suitable.

I might just grab a dracena and be happy with that!

Last edited:
I once did put a seed from a Tangerine from the super market in a little pot. Well actualy used an empty Fanta Orange soda can for it..:) And it grew a little Tangerine tree :) And i must say these trees are darn resilient and withstand quite a lot neglection. I had it for 2 years, one time i forfot to water it for weeks, it lost all it's leaves and it still came back after watering it again. Still managed to kill it with forgeting about it again after that, but took a long time, Citrus trees are darn strong..

I see from your profile, you line in Surrey. If you haven't been, Heron's Bonsai in Surrey is well worth a visit.

Have you considered air plants?

Back